Will we still be man and wife in heaven? What a priest said when he was asked if my wife who has died will still be my wife in heaven?

http://thecatholicspirit85.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=61011241&item=23

“One day we shall joyfully greet him/her again when the love of Christ, which conquers all things, destroys even death itself.” (from prayer sometimes used at the end of funeral masses)

Or we’ll all have amnesia and remember nothing.

Probably not. It’s til death do us part.

Yes, like the shades who were required to drink from Lethe when they entered Hades.

No. (10 characters)

i think Jesus spoke very specifically about this issue in matthew 2:30

If it was an eternal commitment, rather than a lifelong commitment, I think we would have far more celibates ;).

marriage dissolves in heaven

in heaven we are a union of the church triumphant

none of the human bonds matter any more

I understand not being married in heaven, but a Heaven where we don’t get to spend quality time with our loved ones wouldn’t be much fun. And don’t give me that “you’ll love every other person the same as your parent or spouse”. We may well love everyone, but I have hope that our special people will still be special.
Padre Pio saw his deceased mother when he was dying. If there wasn’t any more bond then our loved ones wouldn’t be there for us at death.

@mdgspencer , you ask , “Will we still be man and wife in heaven?”

I go along with the words of Father Doyle you quote from the article when he says , “The Church does believe that the relationships we have enjoyed on earth will be transformed and enhanced as they continue in heaven. A prayer frequently used at the end of funeral Masses has the priest saying, “Before we go our separate ways, let us take leave of our brother/sister. May our farewell express our affection for him/her; may it ease our sadness and strengthen our hope. One day we shall joyfully greet him/her again when the love of Christ, which conquers all things, destroys even death itself.””

Jesus said in the Bible that we will be like angels in heaven.

That doesn’t seem to deny that we’d get to be with our partners.

Jesus says, quoted in Matthew 22:30 - “At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven”

That’s very true, but that doesn’t mean that we won’t still love the people we loved on earth just as much. In fact, we will love them much more deeply and will still have that special bond that we always shared with them in this life.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.