Wine only in chalice?

Hello,
When more than one chalice is used for mass (i.e. one for the celebrant and two for the congregation), is it ok for the priest to pour wine into all three chalices, but only pour water into one chalice - the chalice that the priest will consume?
The priest where I have been attending daily mass has been doing this and I don’t ever recall seeing this done before when more than one chalice was used for mass.
Can you please provide some documentation or a reference that states the valid means of this aspect of the mass?
Thank you for your time and God bless you,
Brian

The rubrics for Mass only use the singular when referring to the preparation of the gifts:

1. …the priest stands at the side of the altar and pours wine and a little water into the chalice, saying quietly…
  1. …[The Deacon] hands the priest the paten with the bread to be consecrated, pours wine and a little water into the chalice, saying quietly…

The USCCB’s Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion under Both Kinds when mentioning multiple chalices only reference them containing wine:

1. …If one chalice is not sufficient for Holy Communion to be distributed under both kinds to the Priest concelebrants or Christ’s faithful, several chalices are placed on a corporal on the altar in an appropriate place, filled with wine.

There doesn’t appear to be a liturgical requirement that water be poured into all of the chalices consecrated at Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.