Wireless Electricity, Not So Far Off

from the NY Times:

Wireless Electricity, Not So Far Off

In high school my bedroom had two outlets in use – one for a lamp, the other for my stereo. That was it.
Now my large studio is filled with maxed out power strips juicing my laptop, computer monitor, external drive, printer, router, Wi Fi router, TV, stereo, DVD player, not to mention cell phone and digital camera chargers, and of course those pesky lamps.
Power cords are my enemy. They so quickly and easily muck up a clean interior I’ve so painstakingly put together. [cry me a river -didymus]] For years I’ve fantasized of wireless electricity. A day when the power outlet became obsolete. Well, we’re almost there. Almost.

At this years’ Consumer Electronics Show, a handful of companies showed off flashy gadgets with pads that allow wireless charging. The pads work via a coil built into them that generates a magnetic field when plugged into an outlet. If you place a gadget with its own coil built into it on the pad, the magnetic field generates a current within the second coil, in turn charging the device.
Palm’s much talked about Pre, features such a pad. While WildCharge built a pad that works with any phone as long as you attach their adaptor to your mobile. While all of these are great steps towards a wireless world, the only way this will fully be adopted is if multiple items can be charged on the same pad. That’s where Fulton Innovation comes in.

The Michigan-based company has developed coils that can be embedded into tables and the like so you’ll eventually be able to power your blender, coffee maker, you name it, just by placing it on your kitchen counter. Bosch, the power tool manufacturer, and Texas Instruments have teamed up with the company and are working on building new products with the built-in coils.

Yeah, and such devices have a power loss of anywhere from 20-33%. In other words you have to use from a quarter to half again as much electricity to charge your devices.
What happened to energy conservation? Carbon footprints? Or does that all go out the window so NYT-readers can keep a "clean interior?

Not a NYT-reader, but I’m all for it. Sounds great.

I can camp at a friends farm and put my tent under the high wires and get free lighting. I just have to remember to bring a fluorescent bulb with me.:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.