Wisconsin Recount Gets the Green Light

What, exactly, do you mean by that? If you don’t mind me asking.

Heard a sound bite of HC extremely concerned about DT comment that he wouldn’t promise to accept the election results.She said this statement was a threat to our very democracy.
Well well well,funny how now that the shoe is on the other foot,it is the Dems refusing to accept the results.Typical,pathetic…

She called it “horrifying”

dailycaller.com/2016/11/26/flashback-clinton-said-not-accepting-election-results-was-horrifying-video/

That’s right horrifying is the word she used…bet she is really horrified that she actually lost!:wink:

nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/tweet-flurry-president-elect-donald-trump-calls-recount-efforts-sad-n688761

In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 27, 2016

Serious voter fraud in Virginia, New Hampshire and California - so why isn’t the media reporting on this? Serious bias - big problem!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 28, 2016

It’s hard not to laugh. Sorry. :slight_smile:

As I and others explained when this was posted before, this interview is obviously being misinterpreted. Gina (Jane the Virgin) Rodriguez asked a convoluted question that included her own aside about who she calls citizens. Obama did not directly address her aside (which I am sure he, as a constitutional scholar, would not ever confirm). But he did answer her only direct question, which was whether the act of voting would somehow cause an investigation to be launched into the voter’s family and possibly lead to deportation. Obama answered quite correctly that the system is not set up that way. Voter roles are not used as a tool in deportations. The only criticism you might level at Obama is the fact the he didn’t stop Gina midway through her question and correct her aside. It was, after all, a friendly interview. There was no need to state the obvious.

So, no, this interview is not a case of Obama encouraging illegal immigrants to vote. People have been so desperate to discredit Obama that they try to twist an entirely factual and correct response given by Obama into something he most certainly did not say.

Dear LeafByNiggle,
I watched this interview myself, I have a cablebox that lets one “rewind” live TV and I must have re-watched that interview, IDK, 6 or 7 times just to be sure what I heard was what President Obama intended to say… it is very clear, in his on words, that he gave a tacit OK for undocumented individuals to vote, “because by voting they are citizens,” and not to worry about being deported because the voting records are sealed.
Hard to mis-interpret those statements - by the president, not the interviewer. He could have corrected her on the citizenship, he did not do so, instead he said that "first of all, when you vote - you are a citizen yourself " affirming her statement.

My transcription in the post is word for word, exactly, what the interviewer and president Obama asked and answered and I provided the link for others to see the entire interview.

The one good thing to come out of this recount nonsense is that she loses again. :smiley:

Yes indeedy!:thumbsup::smiley:

If anybody is curious about Trumps source for this:

infowars.com/report-three-million-votes-in-presidential-election-cast-by-illegal-aliens/

What a buffoon he is.

I’d rather have a buffoon in the White House than…well I’ll be respectful and leave it at that. Besides, we should be used to buffoons in the White House. :rolleyes:

Kind of like Groundhog Day. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh. That we get two new and qualified candidates and THEN have a real election! :wink:

:rotfl:

“tacit” means “understood or implied without being stated”. It is very difficult to prove what a wink means. It could just mean you have some dust in your eye.

Your transcription in the first post was accurate, but right here you are misquoting it. Here you have Obama saying “because by voting they are citizens”. It is very important to get all the words right. In this case, your addition of the word “because”, which Obama did not say, turns the interpretation toward what you want to claim. Obama did not say that casting a vote makes you a citizen. What he actually said, as you correctly reported at first, was

“when you vote - you are a citizen yourself and…”

This means something totally different from “because by voting they are citizens”, especially because of the break implied by the " - ". Remember, Gina asked “If I vote…”. Gina is in fact a citizen. Obama knows that. Obama paused to qualify “when you vote”, so that it is clear he is only talking about Gina, or others who are citizens. And so he added, after the pause, “you are a citizen yourself…”, which is true. Gina is a citizen. It was not an agreement with Gina’s side remark that she made before she asked her question. You can speculate all you want about what Obama intended, but unless you know for sure what he intended, it is still just your speculation. And in this case the reasonableness of that speculation is not confirmed by any other thing that Obama has said. If this was an actual position of Obama, there ought to be other evidence you could point to that Obama is suggesting that non-citizens attempt to vote.

Regardless of what the interviewer intended or what Obama intended or how you interpret it or how I interpret it…how did undocumented individuals interpret this interview? And did it give them fuel to go out and vote? And if so, did enough of them go out and vote in numbers that would have affected the election? Or sway the popular vote counts?

I’m Canadian, can I come vote for your president? I contribute plenty to the U.S.A. (I spend a lot online! and I generate an income in U.S. dollars using American companies). I know plenty of Canadian snowbirds that are down in the States for up to 6 months over the winter, they own property and spend a lot of cash down there. Can they help determine your next president? Why can’t we also have a say who runs the U.S.?

And why … how … is something like this even a possibility? How is it that you guys don’t verify that your voters are actual American citizens?

If you have a criticism, it seems it is of Gina, who framed the questions for the interview. Obama just answered correctly. The rest is speculation.

Actually debating who is responsible is just a distraction IMO. I’ll repeat…

Regardless of what the interviewer intended or what Obama intended or how you interpret it or how I interpret it…how did undocumented individuals interpret this interview? And did it give them fuel to go out and vote? And if so, did enough of them go out and vote in numbers that would have affected the election? Or sway the popular vote counts?

That’s the bottom line. Did that interview affect vote counts?

Who knows? It is all speculation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.