Wisdom of St. Faustina

A dear friend here asked me if I would consider sharing the insights I received from reading St. Faustina’s Diary, and I thought it would be good to let everyone share their thoughts, so that we can all learn together.

I particularly liked this one, which suggested to me that she was speaking about the custom of sharing Oplatki that the Polish do at Christmas Eve supper. This entry followed her mention that it was Christmas Eve in #1437.

1438 Before supper, I went into the chapel for a moment to break the wafer spiritually with those beloved persons, so dear to my heart, though far away. First, I steeped myself in profound prayer and asked the Lord for graces for them all as a group and then for each one individually. Jesus gave me to know how much this pleased Him, and my soul was filled with even greater joy to see that God loves in a special way those whom we love.

I can’t express how much this consoles me because there are certain persons whom I love very much, but realize they are not presently in a spiritual relationship with Christ. I worried that my love was not truly Christ’s, but perhaps my own human love. As I reflect on the Christmas message in her excerpt above, it assures me that Our Lord truly loves them infinitely more than I do. How often I have seen Him shower my loved ones with His blessings, and it makes me very humble to realize the depth of His loving kindness on our behalf when we pray for them.

There are quite a few special excerpts that spoke to me, and as time goes on, I will be glad to share them. And may all who feel a special blessing from her words be encouraged to share them, too.

Carole

Thank you, Carole. I love St. Faustina’s Diary. I can’t wait to read your insight to it since I know this saint is especially close to your heart. She really has a beautiful soul.

And I thank you too, Joyful_1. May God bless us all through meditating upon her words. I wanted to start wilth something she wrote from Christmas and New Years — so appropriate for this holy season. I should add another entry she made in connection with the ‘wafer.’

1440 When we began to share the wafer, a sincere and mutual love reigned among us. Mother Superior [Irene] expressed this wish to me: “Sister, the works of God proceed slowly, so do not be in a hurry.” In general, the sisters sincerely wished me great love, which is that which I desire above all. I saw that these wishes truly came from their hearts, except for one sister, who had a concealed malice in her wishes, although this did not cause me much pain, for my soul was pervaded by God.

Yet this enlightened me as to why God communicates so little with a soul of this kind, and I learned that such a soul is always seeking itself, even in holy things. Oh, how good the Lord is in not letting me go astray! I know that He will guard me, even jealously, but only as long as I remain little, because it is with such that the great Lord likes to commune. As to proud souls, He watches them from afar and opposes them.

She spoke about proud souls in a couple of other places; i.e., that community life is difficult in itself, but it is doubly difficult to get along with proud souls. #1522

1170 June 30, 1937. Today, the Lord said to me, I have wanted to exalt this Congregation many times, but I am unable to do so because of its pride. Know, My daughter, that I do not grant My graces to proud souls, and I even take away from them the graces I have granted.

Jesus taught her the importance of three virtues for her to embrace and practice: humility, purity of intention and love, and to strive for a life of recollection “so that you can hear My voice, which is so soft that only recollected souls can hear it” … #1779.

I believe she was spiritually concerned for them when she encountered prideful souls, but in her humility, she was very prudent in dealing with them in a holy way that inspires us to imitate her. Tomorrow, I’ll pull those entries from her Diary, which show us how truly saintly she was. Only in saintly persons do we find this solid virtue that enables one to live among them, yet not be cast down by their affronts.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from Saint Faustina’s diary:

I would like to say three words to the soul that is determined to strive for sanctity and to derive fruit; that is to say, benefit from confession.
First word - complete sincerity and openness. Even the holiest and wisest confessor cannot forcibly pour into the soul what he desires if it is not sincere and open. An insincere , secretive soul risks great dangers in the spiritual life, and even the Lord Jesus Himself does not give Himself to such a soul on a higher level, because He knows it would derive no benefit from these special graces.

Second word - humility. A soul does not benefit as it should from the sacrament of confession if it is not humble. Pride keeps it in darkness. The soul neither knows how, nor is willing, to probe …the depths of its own misery. It puts on a mask and avoids everything that might bring it recovery.

Third word - obedience. A disobedient soul will win no victory, even if the Lord Jesus himself, in person, were to hear its confession (113)

My daughter, I want to instruct you on how you are to rescue souls through sacrifice and prayer. You will save more souls through prayer and suffering than will a missionary through his teachings and sermons alone. I want to see you as a sacrifice of living love, which only then carries weight before Me. You must be annihilated, destroyed, living as if you were dead [dying to self?] in the most secret depths of your being. You must be destroyed in that secret depth where the human eye has never penetrated; then will I find you a pleasing sacrifice, a holocaust full of sweetness and fragrance. And great will be your power for whomever you intercede. Outwardly, your sacrifice must look like this; silent, hidden, permeated with love, imbued with prayer. I demand, My daughter, that your sacrifice be pure and full of humility, that I may find pleasure in it. I will not spare My grace, that you may be able to fulfil what I demand of you. …You shall accept all sufferings with love. Do not be afflicted if your heart often experiences repugnance and dislike for sacrifice. All its power rests in the will, and so these contrary feelings, far from lowering the value of the sacrifice in My eyes, will enhance it…Although you will not feel My presence on some occasions, I will always be with you. Do not fear; My grace will be with you…(1767)

I have come to know that, in order for God to act in a soul, it must give up acting on its own; otherwise, God will not carry out His will in it. (1790)

**My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love. Have confidence, My child. Do not lose heart in coming for pardon, for I am always ready to forgive you. As often as you beg for it, you glorify My mercy. **(Jesus to souls striving for perfection and holiness - 1488)

Pure love … knows that only one thing is needed to please God: to do even the smallest things out of great love - love, and always love. (140)

Very comforting and profpund indeed!!!
I am going to have to get a copy of that.

Ooops I meant to say comforting and profound-:cool:

Hi Eucharisted,

What a beautiful post! I was particularly drawn to these words:

My daughter, I want to instruct you on how you are to rescue souls through sacrifice and prayer. You will save more souls through prayer and suffering than will a missionary through his teachings and sermons alone. …] And great will be your power for whomever you intercede.

This is the ideal that St. Therese strove to accomplish in her cloister, and in very truth, she was so effective that the Church named her co-patron of missionaries with St. Francis Xavior. We really err if we think our words alone will accomplish more than sacrifice and prayer. It always edifies me that Our Lord taught this to other saints, and we can trust their advice because so many of them say the same thing. :slight_smile:

My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love.

When I changed my signature after New Years, I almost added the link to a series of conferences I watched last week on this very subject - that sensitiveness, in particular, is the fruit of self-love and pride. It was an excellent teaching, but I did not think it would be easy to link to it, so left it out. But that was the real basis behind the speaker’s words I cited from Proverbs.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your favorite entries from St. Faustina!

Thank you so very very much for sharing thoughts and wisdom on this Diary, which has so shaped my understanding of the Christian path. May all be and feel comfortable and welcome in sharing one’s interpretation on any passage posted so that poor souls like myself can benefit from other’s unique and different insights.

Thoughts on Passages Already Kindly Posted
1170 It is very interesting and beneficial to know that God cannot exalt the Congregation because of its pride, that God even takes away the graces that he has granted, and a check on me in my own daily life.

113 The reminders on Confession are to be duly noted. This Diary truly gave me a very and radically new perspective on the importance of the sacrament of confession and the virtue of holy obedience, which I believe that the Diary says is superior even to that of humility.

1488 is deeply comforting as I am probably always imperfect.

1767 is actually puzzling. I keep on coming back again to the idea of sacrifice but it is so difficult, almost repugnant for me to accept the idea that a holocaust of self could be pleasing to Christ that I know that there must be something that I am deeply, deeply missing. Perhaps this concept of sacrifice as desirable above all else can only come when I completely lose the idea of social justice as desirable in and of itself and I start thinking of the true purpose of social justice as enabling an environment for the speedier conversion of souls. Perhaps I should spend some time reading on St. Padre Pio to better understand the purpose, concept, and meaning of “victim soul.”

P.S. An online copy of this diary, The Diary of St. Maria Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul is here: saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

unborn babies, St. Josephine Bakhita, St. Martin de Porres, Venerable Pierre Touissant, St. Edith Stein, Sr. Lucy of Fatima, St. Therese of Liseux, St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, His Holiness Pope John Paul II, St. Louis Mary de Montfort, St. Maximilian Maria, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, St. Maria Faustina, St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Dympha, St. Maria de Goretti, all the angels and saints and Popes, Archangel Michael, Archangel Gabriel, Archangel Raphael, pray to the Mother of the Word for us!!

May the Holy Spirit through the Mother of the Word grant us the graces that we most desperately need, particularly an abundance of confidence, humility, love, mercy, openness, and desire to share the LOVE and MERCY of God with others!! May the LOVE and MERCY of the Sacred Heart of Jesus come down into our lives!! May the WONDERS of the Mother of the Word come to our aid!!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I had mentioned my intention to share examples of St. Faustina’s holiness in her dealings with those who persecuted and maligned her, but I felt that for today, this entry instead would be helpful to someone. My parish is having adoration today, for First Friday, also, which reminded me of this entry. We can learn much from Jesus in these holy hours, as did Faustina.

1685 During Holy Hour today, I asked the Lord Jesus if He would deign to teach me about the spiritual life. Jesus answered me, My daughter, faithfully live up to the words which I speak to you.
Do not value any external thing too highly, even if it were to seem very precious to you. Let go of yourself, and abide with Me continually.
Entrust everything to Me and do nothing on your own, and you will always have great freedom of spirit. No circumstances or events will ever be able to upset you.
Set little store on what people say. Let everyone judge you as they like.
Do not make excuses for yourself; it will do you no harm.
Give away everything at the first sign of a demand, even if they were the most necessary things.
Do not ask for anything without consulting Me.
Allow them to take away even what is due you: respect, your good name; let your spirit rise above all that. And so, set free from everything, rest close to My Heart, not allowing your peace to be disturbed by anything.
My pupil, consider the words which I have spoken to you.

Here’s my favorite quote:

[quote=Notebook 1]During adoration I felt God close to me. A moment later I saw Jesus and Mary. At the sight of them I was filled with joy, and I asked the Lord, “What is Your will Jesus, concerning the matter about which my confessor told me to ask You? Jesus replied, “It is My will that he should remain here and that he should not take the initiative of dispensing himself.” I asked Jesus whether the inscription could be: “Christ King of Mercy.” He answered, “I am King of Mercy,” but he did not say “Christ”. I desire that this image be displayed in public on the first Sunday after Easter. That Sunday is the Feast of Mercy. Through the Word Incarnate I make known the bottomless depths of My mercy.”
[/quote]

The Rank of Feasts and Sundays:

Sundays are ranked as follows:

I. Privileged or Major Sundays of the first class, which never yield precedence to any feast, viz., the First Sunday of Advent, all the Sundays of Lent, Easter Sunday, Low Sunday, and Pentecost Sunday.

Also, from Dom Gueranger’s The Liturgical Year:

“Such is the solemnity of this Sunday (Low Sunday or Octave Sunday of Easter) that not only is it of greater double rite, but no feast, however great, can ever be kept upon it.” - The Liturgical Year, Blessed Dom Prosper Gueranger

Here’s another favorite, St. Bridgit of Sweden, and with proper theology too:

[quote=St. Brigit of Sweden, Ch. 8]First, that God should show his great mercy, that no man hearing the justice of God should despair of his mercy. For when a man changes the will of sin, then God changes the strictness of his sentence. The second cause is that they who give faith to the justice and to the promises of God should be crowned and rewarded the more largely for faith and constancy. The third cause is that if the counsel of God were known in a certain time, some should be greatly troubled by that, knowing of contrary cases, and others for weariness should cease in their fervor and desire.

For justice and mercy are endless in God, for eternally this justice was in God, that while God was, before Lucifer, full of wisdom of goodness and of power, he would that many should be partners in his goodness. And therefore he made angels; of which some, beholding their fairness, desired to be above God: And therefore they fell and are made under the feet of God wicked fiends. And yet in them God in a manner has mercy; for when the fiend by the justice and permission of God fulfilled the evil that he wanted, he is as it were in a manner comforted by the prosperity of his malice.

Not that the pain of the fiend is lessened thereby; but as a sick man who has a most strong enemy is comforted by hearing of his death, though the pain of his sickness is not lessened by that hearing, so the fiend of envy, wherein he is hotly burning, rejoices and is glad when God does justice against men; for the thrust of his malice is in a manner refreshed and eased. But after the fall of the fiends, God, seeing the lack in his army, made man, that he should obey his precepts and bring forth fruit, until as many men and women were ascended into heaven as angels fell out of heaven.
[/quote]

EF

I vaguely remember posting this entry of Faustina’s in another thread, but it is worth repeating for those who may not have seen it, and records her teachings all in one place.

1694 Today, I was visited by a certain lay person [probably Stanislava Kwietniewska] who has caused me a lot of sorrow and who has abused my goodness, telling many lies. At the first moment I saw her, the blood froze in my veins, because there stood before my eyes all that I had to suffer because of her, although with one word I could have freed myself of them all. And the thought came to me to tell her the truth, firmly and immediately. But at the same moment, the mercy of God came before my eyes, and I resolved to act toward her as Jesus would have acted in my place.

I started to talk to her gently, and when she expressed the wish to talk to me alone; I then, in a very delicate manner, made known to her clearly the sad condition of her soul. I saw that she was deeply moved, though she was trying to hide this from me. At that point, a third person came in, and so our heart-to-heart talk came to an end. She asked me for a glass of water and for two other things which I did willingly. However, had it not been for the grace of God, I would not have been able to act in such a way toward her. When they left, I thanked God for the grace which had supported me during that time.

1695 Then I heard the words, I am glad you behaved like My true daughter. Be always merciful as I am merciful. Love everyone out of love for Me, even your greatest enemies, so that My mercy may be fully reflected in your heart.

I love reading how Our Lord quickened her spirit to act mercifully toward that person. We may satisfy ourselves and our pride by refusing to speak kindly toward them, but our loss is great when we do not give witness of Christ to them. It is well worth reflecting on our own resemblance to her example. :slight_smile:

Carole

[quote=AveSantaMaria]1767 is actually puzzling. I keep on coming back again to the idea of sacrifice but it is so difficult, almost repugnant for me to accept the idea that a holocaust of self could be pleasing to Christ that I know that there must be something that I am deeply, deeply missing.
[/quote]

This is something that certain saints were gradually called to, ASM, not something they decided to embrace of their own will. Whenever we read these passages, our part might be to ask God for patience in suffering our own trials, but not to ask for the status of “victim souls” unless God has prepared us through my interior inspirations. Maybe all we can do is mortify our passions by performing little penances — and if we are faithful in these “little things,” God may give us graces to do more.

Be at peace, ASM,
Carole

277 I will not speak with a certain person, because I know that Jesus does not like it and that she does not profit by it.

1492 Before Holy Communion, Jesus gave me to understand that I should pay absolutely no attention to what a certain sister would say, because her cunning and malice were displeasing to Him. My daughter, do not speak to this person about either your views or your opinions.

I begged the Lord’s pardon for what in that soul was displeasing to Him, and I begged Him to strengthen me with His grace when she would come to talk with me again. She has asked me about many things, to which I gave answer with all my sisterly love and, as evidence that I have spoken to her from the bottom of my heart, I have told her some things that came from my own experience. But her intentions were something quite different from the words on her lips…

I’m not sure whether or not St. Faustina was referring to the same person, since these two entries in her Diary are spaced rather far apart. Two things struck me, though — if it was the same sister in her second reference, there apparently was little amendment and the Lord instructed her again to avoid that person.

The second, was her charity in “begging the Lord for pardon for what in that soul was displeasing to Him.” It’s easy to walk away, for our own peace and recollection may be severely thwarted by the onslaught of such evil, but it’s hard to muster up our compassion and pray for them. We see proof of her virtue.

Thank you JoySong for posting this as well as the commentary on the concept of a “victim soul.” It is good to know that God does not call all to this path and provides many graces on the journey if he does so given how many of the saints: St. Padre Pio, St. Maria Faustina, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, etc. where victim souls. I also suspect that there may be a soul in my life as well that God does not want me to speak too that I’ve been constantly wondering about for the last few days, and I just had a horrible dream perhaps regarding the issue so perhaps I should find a spiritual director and ask. :slight_smile:

Another quote that puzzled me a bit: Excerpt:

#1120…I do not know how to live without God, but I also feel that God absolutely self-sufficient through he is, cannot be happy without me.

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS23.shtml

It strikes me as quite similar to the description of Christ in
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Consider that the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ was no sooner formed within the womb of the Blessed Virgin, than it was inflamed with an immense love for all men, but, as it is the property of love, to desire to be continually with those, for whom this love is felt, a life of thirty-three years appeared to Him too short, to satisfy His excessive desire of being continually with us. It was necessary to work the greatest of miracles, to content the greatest of all desires. This Heart could not place limits to the excess of Its love. Be not afflicted, oh my Apostles, said our loving Jesus, if I am obliged to leave you to ascend to Heaven; my Heart desires with more ardour to be with you, than you desire to be with Me, and as long as there are men upon earth I shall be with them. Ecce ego vobiscum sum usque ad consummationem saeculli. All the motives that led the Son of God to clothe Himself with our flesh have ceased. The work of Redemption is fulfilled. Nothing but His excessive desire of being continually with us, obliges Him to work this constant miracle, and this compendium of all His wonders; His immense love making it, as it were, impossible to Him to be separated from us. Jesus has ascended to His Father: why does He every day return invisbly on earth, if not because He cannot separate Himself from men, and His delights are to be with us? Who would ever have thought that Jesus Christ could have loved us to this excess? From the greatest height of glory, He desires to come and dwell in our hearts, as if something were wanting to His felicity, when He is at a distance from us. A desire must be very violent, when it cannot be satisifed in Heaven, where all desires are fulfilled. Jesus Christ must love men passionately, since not restrained, by the great glory He has enjoyed since His Ascension, He every day places Himself, in a humble and obscure state on our Altars, to satisfy the excess of His love and of His tenderness; proving to us the truth of what He had said by His Prophet, that His delights are to be with us: Deliciae meae esse cum filiis hominum.

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.

But it brings up this question: why is this true? Is it possible to believe that God cannot be happy without us? If so, why?

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Carole, thank you very much for posting this. It was very comforting to me; as I too, have several people in my life… that I worry about. In particular, a sister… who has been away from the Church for nearly 30 years. :frowning:

These words have greatly encouraged me… that not only does Our dear Lord LOVE them all… but that His concern for them, and for their good… dwarfs my own by an infinite margin. I know how much I worry about them and how many tears I shed. And so, I know that His Mercy and Love is guiding them and watching over them all.

Jesus, I trust in You! :gopray2: :heart:

First, AveSantaMaria, I thought your post was very beautiful as I meditated on the devotion to the Sacred Heart. You are really filled with piety and love for Our Lord. Your question about “God cannot be happy without me” bears some pondering, for sure, but I think it is a message we have heard many times, though not in those exact words. Everytime I pray certain psalms, I realize that God delights in us and longs to receive the poor human love we bring Him. Awesome! Infinite Majesty finding repose in His creatures!

I also suspect that there may be a soul in my life as well that God does not want me to speak too that I’ve been constantly wondering about for the last few days, and I just had a horrible dream perhaps regarding the issue so perhaps I should find a spiritual director and ask.

Sometimes that’s a good way to get our attention, via a dream. It is as if we are stars in our own cinema. A few months ago, I had a prophetic dream which warned me to avoid a certain thread on hell. God showed me in the dream that I was so intent on cleaning up the church’s toilet which had so much corrosion from years of abuse that it couldn’t be cleaned. While I was scrubbing it and becoming dismayed that the deposits were beyond removal, the priest in the church was distributing holy communion. By the time I got back into church, I had missed it!

The message? I am ineffective with certain people who are not in the frame of mind to change at this time, and all my efforts are futile with them. The one who suffers while I engage in this activity is ME, because I lose recollection and the precious benefits of being united with Christ. Coincidentally, the thread was deleted a short time later.

Pay close attention to the main elements in your dream and ask God to show you its meaning. It may comfort you to realize how closely He watches over your daily affairs and sends His help.

Carole

[quote=MarieVeronica]These words have greatly encouraged me… that not only does Our dear Lord LOVE them all… but that His concern for them, and for their good… dwarfs my own by an infinite margin. I know how much I worry about them and how many tears I shed. And so, I know that His Mercy and Love is guiding them and watching over them all.
[/quote]

I felt such a peaceful consolation that all will be well with your Sister, for right you are – God loves her very, very dearly. :hug3:

Maybe this will encourage you a little more. I never had much devotion to the D.M. Chaplet, and in fact the original song on EWTN was depressing to me and I always turned it off. HOWEVER … one day when I was with one of those stray sheep whom I love very much, I had a sudden inspiration to pray the chaplet and did so with great fervor while he was getting an item in a store. When I had finished, he was just coming back to my car. How little we know God’s ways, for about three hours later, he was killed in a tragic accident.

I learned, as St. Faustina taught, that this chaplet is most mercifully beneficial for the dying, and that God importunes us to pray for them when the need is great. However, since this person was not, through any external way of my knowing, in a state of grace, I considered that God had shown him mercy through that unusual inspiration to pray that morning. How I began to love this devotion and I have become its most ardent champion in prayer, particularly for the poor souls.

Your sister will be united with you some day in heaven, and I pray that you may live to see the fruit of your prayers in this life, too. Sometimes, God just applies them to another, meanwhile, until the one we love is ready to receive that grace.

God bless you,
Carole

My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love.

Can somebody please help me to understand this is context of everyday life. Seems I have a thick skull in matters such as this :rolleyes: .

Specifically, how do we defiine “sensitveness and discouragement”?

Sensitive as to how others feel about us? Discouraged as in how we feel about loosing 1/2 our 401Ks?

Serioulsy, this saying has touched me where I have happened to stumble across it twice in as many days. I need help understand what Jesus meant by these words in context of our lives.

Much thanks.

Hi Mijoy,

I think this quote is regarding sensitiveness and discouragement when it comes to our spiritual progress. Having those inclinations may indicate a lack of patience with ourselves, with God, and/or a lack of trust in God.

I think this quote from Father Jean-Pierre De Caussade (+1751), author of Abandoment to Divine Providence, covers this topic well:

I experience impetuous desires of acquiring the gift of prayer, humility, gentleness, the love of God; to this I reply: Let us not think so much about our own interests: my duty is to occupy myself simply and quietly with God, to accomplish his will in all that he asks of me at the moment. That is my task; everything else I leave in the care of God; my advancement is his business, as mine is to occupy myself ceaselessly with him and to execute his orders.

It occurs to me that I am still so imperfect, so full of defects and meannesses, of infidelities and weaknesses; how long will it be before I am delivered from these things? I reply at once: By the grace of God I do not love my faults, I am resolved to combat them; but I shall only be delivered from them when it may please God to deliver me. That is his affair, mine is to hate these faults and to fight them with patience, penitence, and humility until it pleases God to give me the victory over them.

The thought occurs to me: But I am so blind that I do not even know my faults, yet my duty is to lament them before God and confess them; I at once reply: I wish to know my faults, I no longer live in voluntary dissipation of mind, I spend a certain time quietly examining my conscience. This is what God demands of me; he will give me more light and knowledge when he thinks it well to do so; that is his affair; I have placed all my spiritual progress in his hands.; it is, therefore, enough for the present for me to accuse myself of a few daily faults, as God gives me to know them, adding to them a sin of my past life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.