Wise thoughts from Ingrid Newkirk

The following is her recent piece, “Food waste another reason to go vegan.”

gulftoday.ae/portal/920e71f4-6490-4d5b-9744-5e1891a06123.aspx

Yes, Americans waste a lot of food. We waste a lot of natural resources. We are a very wasteful people.

But Newkirk doesn’t establish that meat is being wasted, or how much meat is wasted. Given the cost of meat, relative to lettuce or yogurt, I suspect that little meat is wasted in homes. Meat tends to get frozen if it isn’t being used in a timely fashion.

I don’t find Newkirk’s argument to be very convincing.

Ingrid Newkirk is a nutcase and I take nothing she says seriously. Dale is correct.

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:299540"]

But Newkirk doesn't establish that meat is being wasted, or how much meat is wasted.

[/quote]

That's precisely what she established. More charity in reading her piece is in order -- she's clearly talking about meat.

"According to a new report by the Natural Resources Defence Council, Americans toss out nearly every other bite of food. We squander up to 40 per cent of the nation’s food supply each year – throwing away, on average, 20 pounds per person per month – while making excuses for our wastefulness.

I suspect that little meat is wasted in homes.

[/quote]

Contradicted by the above.

I don't find Newkirk's argument to be very convincing.

[/quote]

Her argument is also supplemented by charges of routine animal cruelty, which all decent people should take very seriously.

A nutcase because she works tirelessly to expose animal cruelty in a speciesist society? Hardly.

You seem to have an agenda.

And… since you have an agenda why should anyone bother having a discussion with you, since it’s not going to go anywhere productive?:shrug:

Ingrid Newkirk is a dangerous nutcase .

“I am not a morose person, but I would rather not be here. I don’t have any reverence for life, only for the entities themselves. I would rather see a blank space where I am. This will sound like fruitcake stuff again but at least I wouldn’t be harming anything.”
— Ingrid Newkirk, The Washington Post, Nov 1983 /QUOTE]

[quote]

[quote]“Our nonviolent tactics are not as effective. We ask nicely for years and get nothing. Someone makes a threat, and it works.”
— Ingrid Newkirk, in the April 8, 2002 issue of US News & World Report , Apr 2002 /QUOTE]

[quote]

[quote]“Six million people died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughterhouses. ”

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

— Ingrid Newkirk, The Washington Post, Nov 1983

“There’s no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all animals.”

— Ingrid Newkirk, Washingtonian magazine, Aug 1986
[/quote]

[quote="triumphguy, post:6, topic:299540"]
You seem to have an agenda.

And... since you have an agenda why should anyone bother having a discussion with you, since it's not going to go anywhere productive?:shrug:

[/quote]

My "agenda" is to discuss topics of interest to me, and to put forth arguments and viewpoints that I happen to hold. And of course, I welcome anyone to disagree with me - civil discourse is always preferable. If you have a problem with my "agenda," then I suggest taking up your complaints with the "higher-ups" of this site who regularly allow what I'm apparently able to do.

[quote="spencelo, post:8, topic:299540"]
My "agenda" is to discuss topics of interest to me, and to put forth arguments and viewpoints that I happen to hold. And of course, I welcome anyone to disagree with me - civil discourse is always preferable. If you have a problem with my "agenda," then I suggest taking up your complaints with the "higher-ups" of this site who regularly allow what I'm apparently able to do.

[/quote]

Nope, you are perfectly fine having an agenda:

as am I in pointing out that real discussion is moot given said agenda.

“There’s no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all animals.”
— Ingrid Newkirk, Washingtonian magazine, Aug 1986 /QUOTE]

I fail to see the “nuttiness” in her statements, and there’s nothing to suggest that she’s “dangerous.” Unfortunately, we live in a bleak world, with an extraordinary amount of the suffering and misery caused by human oppression.

Yes, I’m perfectly fine discussing topics of interest to me and putting forth arguments and viewpoints that I happen to hold (my “agenda”). Your underhanded attempts to cast a sinister light on my motives is noted.

peta [sign]people eating tasty animals[/sign]

Nothing underhanded at all. I plainly and openly think you are not open to real discussion.

That, of course, is simply a convenient rationalization on your part. In case you haven’t noticed (self-deception can be quite powerful), I’ve replied on the merits to anyone who has attempted to engage in civil, respectful discourse with me. Perhaps you should try it sometime.

Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we’d be against it. — Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA (Vogue, September, 1989).

[SIGN]To those people who say, My father is alive because of animal experimentation,’ I sayYeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.’ Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off. — Bill Maher, PETA celebrity spokesman.[/SIGN]

Suppose painful, non-consenting experiments perform on mentally disabled humans could result in a cure for aids. Would you be against it?

She compares the killing of seafood comparable to the killing of mentally disabled children.

Frankly, if you believe in such a thing as “speciesism” I find your views to be radical too.

On the consequences of stopping animal research: “Don’t get the diseases in the first place, schmo.” — PETA’s David Mathews (USA Today, July 27, 1994).

Yeah April, THIS is a woman we should take seriously… :rolleyes:

I’m not going down this rabbit hole.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.