Wishing a longer lasting state of grace

How long have you been able, after reconciliation, to stay completely clean and holy?.
A day, a week , a month?
My problem is that I have a good confession,with a decision to avoid sinning again,which leaves me in a state of great joy, but then I go back into the world so to speak, lower my guard, and probably by the next day, I have done this or said that which are probably venial sins already.I am not talking of mortal sins.I may have said something disfavorable about someone, or acts like that .Do any of you have a thought “system” to keep you in check? Like a brake system that signals trouble before it happens?
Otherwise why confess, when a few hour later I am back in point one.
I wish to do a marathon to see how long I can do it, but I need some pointers from you.Thanks in advance for helping me have a good Lent.

Just to clarify a point: as long as you have not sinned mortally, you are still in a state of grace. But your question about avoiding sin is a good one.

It is nearly impossible to completely avoid venial sin, so you are in good company. Scripture says:

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again" (Proverbs 24:16)

And the number seven in Scripure represents perfection, in this case, lots and lots of times! The point is, we have to keep getting up and trying to do better. Sometimes God allows us to fall to help us grow in humility, to show us that without Him we are powerless.

As to tips on avoiding venial sin, the best advice I have heard is to tackle one sin at a time. (How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.) You do this by doing a daily Particular Examination of Conscience. Unlike a General Examination (the kind you do before confession), in a Particular Examination you concentrate on your one predominant fault (one of the seven capital sins — pride, lust, anger, envy, sloth, greed, gluttony — that gives you the most trouble) and examine yourself midday and evening on how many times you have fallen in that regard that day. Saint Ignatius in his Spiritual Exercises even recommends keeping track over a number of days (like tally marks in a notebook) to see how the number of falls is decreasing. When you have one area of weakness conquered (it may take many weeks or months), you can move on to another.

Oh, this is such an apt description of my own daily battle with personal faults/sin. :rolleyes:
I found this very helpful, “Philothea”. Thanks.

Thanks for posting the question “Tam”.

God bless.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will put them into practice.Also, I will see if I can get the
book about St Ignatious from the library.
I am grateful to you, Philotea.
Tam:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.