Witches' coven angry at UK diocese over social hall rental [CWN]

The high priestess of a witches’ coven is angry that the Diocese of Shrewsbury has not permitted the rental of a social hall to the group. “It makes you think that there is still a little bit of that attitude from the past of the Catholics wanting to burn witches,” said Sandra Davis of Crystal Cauldron…

Witches’ coven claims religious persecution after church hall ban (Daily Telegraph)

"Sandra Davis, the “high priestess” of Crystal Cauldron group in Stockport, Greater Manchester, said she was shocked to be told that the pagan group was not considered to be compatible with the church’s “ethos”. "

:rotfl:

I’d say the parish was actually rather polite about how they phrased it… and she is “shocked”? lol

:whacky:

Why don’t they just magically create a hall with one of them there fancy wands they got? Or, they could’ve cast a spell on the bishop… :stuck_out_tongue:

They should just forgo the ball and have another all-nighter, Dungeons and Dragons game…

You’d think she’d know her own history better. Witch hunts in catholic countries were vanishingly rare. That was more a protestant phenomenon, IIRC.

Inquisition charges are not so defensible, but witch hunts? not so much. Doesn’t mean we’re going to support them though.

:whacky: :whacky: :whacky: :whacky: :whacky:

I don’t think that those who were burned or hanged for being witches really cared if the one doing the buring or the hanging had allegiences to Rome or not.

There Hall, there rules.

As long as the Church respects the same I gots no issues.

Sad part is that they will probably sue the Hall for breach of contract or some such nonsense and win the suit. By the sounds of things the witches had invitations and such made up before they were told to go somewhere else so they will cry about that. If it comes down to that the diocese would be smart to just repay them any fees that were lost on ther part and hope they don’t sue for damages such as trauma or other such nonsense.

Private halls that are connected with any diocesan properties should no better than to rent out to such groups. Possible create a questionaire about what the party is, I don’t know, whatever!:o

In most cases, they weren’t witches…modern “witches” don’t care about that either. There is a museum where my greatx8grandmother was hanged (by Protestants, of course) that wiccans run to show their plight throughout history. The irony is that none of the “witches” at that site were “witches.” That was the real travesty of justice.

Sir, your statements are rather rude. Had this been a reversed situation where the Witches had broken a contract with the Catholics I am very sure people would be screaming persecution at the top of there lungs on here.

I must have misread the article I wasn’t aware the Catholics had a contract they where backing out on. Changes a lot.

Yes, it would, but the story is unclear as to whether a contract existed. I suppose a lot would depend on British law, and how contracts are defined.

The Christian Institute, a UK organization, reports that the witches plan on suing. The Christian Institute goes on to observe:

The outcome of any legal action may depend on whether the Roman Catholic social club is held to be a religious organisation or a commercial one.

The Equality Act 2006 makes it unlawful to refuse to provide goods and services on grounds of religious belief.

Churches have some religious liberty exemptions to protect their ethos. However, these exemptions are not available to an organisation which is mainly commercial.

christian.org.uk/news/20090618/witches-well-sue-over-church-club-hire-refusal/

That’s a bit of an over-the-top reaction, no?:rolleyes:

Every time I hear “Never again the burning times!” I want to yell, “Never again the crucifixions! Never again the lions!” :shrug:

If there was no contract, then no harm, no foul. I don’t believe it’s religious discrimination – let alone persecution – to refuse to rent out your religious organization’s holdings to an organization of a divergent ethos.

If there was a contract, the diocese should either honour it, or take their chances in court. In either case, whoever did the initial renting without researching the organization needs a good foss.

No doubt most burned or hanged were not “witches”. The Wiccans I know realize that most of the women and men killed by religious zealots were not “neo-pagans”…some did hold onto the old beliefs mingled with Christian understanding…but they know they were Christians. The point such museums wish to make is that religious persecution by any group against another is wrong. That is the point of such museums…not that they were “witches” but that whether Protestant or Catholic who did the killing…it really didn’t matter to those being killed…they were just as dead.

Actually that’s my local church. (Honest - I live in Manchester). I am glad they are not letting the witches use the social club hall though they have always allowed my mother in law in.

:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.