Witches

I don’t want to make anyone angry, but why are so many of these self proclaimed “witches” devoted Roman Catholics??

Examples: My accross the street neighbor, psychics in New Orleans, Haiti(no explination needed)

Once again, I’m not picking a fight here, this is just a stumbling block for me. Do y’all know what I’m sayin??

from Texas with love :thumbsup:

Horns: National Champions :smiley:

Just taking a guess here, but I would say it is the mystical quality of the church that they distort. Using physical elements to bring about invisible realities is probably appealing to their occult fancies. If they be witches…how are they “devoted” Catholics? More likely they use Catholicism for their own lesser intended designs. That’s all opinion on my part as I’ve never studied witchcraft.

Does that neighbor claim her ability comes from some other figures other than Christian God?

If so, then she’s a witch. regardless her ability is real or just conjuring. This is a serious breech of faith, enough to get her excommunicated.

[quote=se~orcampana]I don’t want to make anyone angry, but why are so many of these self proclaimed “witches” devoted Roman Catholics??

Examples: My accross the street neighbor, psychics in New Orleans, Haiti(no explination needed)

Once again, I’m not picking a fight here, this is just a stumbling block for me. Do y’all know what I’m sayin??

from Texas with love :thumbsup:

Horns: National Champions :smiley:
[/quote]

First Congrats to the UT Longhorns. OU WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!

Does she practice Wicca? I’m curious how, one can claim to be a warlock or a witch and claim to be in communion with the Church.

That would be like me saying I’m a Longhorn, but I am devout Sooner!

Yes, Adrian Peterson is healthy again and Y’all will be strong next year, but we got your number!

My neighbor does all that witch stuff: seances, house cleanings, tarot cards…etc.
I don’t know, maybe going through the Catholic motions makes her feel better about that stuff.
Her friend offered to “clean” our house. I declined!!

[quote=se~orcampana]Yes, Adrian Peterson is healthy again and Y’all will be strong next year, but we got your number!

My neighbor does all that witch stuff: seances, house cleanings, tarot cards…etc.
I don’t know, maybe going through the Catholic motions makes her feel better about that stuff.
Her friend offered to “clean” our house. I declined!!
[/quote]

As far as AD being healthy, it perhaps will make a difference. UT having OU’s card… I don’t know about that, OU was very young and had alot of growing pains. Before the year started I knew UT would beat them… I thought UT should have beat them by more, after all we were barely a top 25 team and when OU/UT where in the top 10, OU would be UT by well… you know the scores… Despite the football talk…

Claiming to be Catholic is one thing, actually being Catholic is quite another. Being a practicing witch and claiming to be Catholic, like I said is ummmm… confusion to the 10th degree.

Let me educate you on this idea of neo-paganism.

In America there is this spiritual feel goodism and a sense of awe in mysticism, especially in Wicca, Druidism, Asatru, and many others…

Many have a relativistic idealogy, that there truth is true, and your truth is true… so as long as you don’t try to convert them. The combination of being a witch and being Catholic is just confusing even for me as a practicing Catholic.

I couldn’t be baptist and claim to be Catholic.
I couldn’t be Methodist and claim to be Catholic.
I couldn’t be Evangelical and claim to be Catholic.
AND WE definatly cannot claim to be a practicing witch and claim to be Catholic.

Being Catholic is being Catholic… being a witch is being a witch… You can’t combine idealogies, beliefs… ect. I guess you could, but it doesn’t make any sense.

It may be that your neighbor doesn’t even know that the tarot cards, etc. are against Catholic teaching. I went to Catholic school for 16 years, and I didn’t know that until a few years ago when I went from Sunday-only Catholic to taking my faith seriously.

You might want to copy the page from the Catechism & mail it to her. (I know you live across the street, but mail is non-pushy, and you could do it anonymously).

Please do understand that many people claim to be Catholic and clearly aren’t. Many politicians who were raised Catholic dissent openly from Church teachings and pretend like it doesn’t affect their faith at all. They often disparage devout Catholics for letting their religion have an impact on how they live their lives. I think it’s the same deal with other things, like those who say, “Well, i’m a Catholic and i still (insert heretical act or belief here).” They may be ignorant of their faith, or trying to get the Church to change, but please don’t believe someone who says they are Catholic just because they say they are. I could say i’m a little teapot and it wouldn’t be true.
Also, it is quite a big thing nowadays to sort of mesh different religious beliefs together, and many people have taken practices like enneagrams and tried to put a Christian spin on them. People who do this may be ignorant and misled, so just do more investigation before taking someone at their word. The Church does teach that superstition is a sin.

Oh, yes! I was born and raised in New Orleans. Oh! It is so terrible down here. You just don’t know! Marie Laveau walks St. Louis Cemetary #1. The Mayfair witches are in the Garden District! There are Voodoo ceremonies conducted in City Park. And, yes, all we Irish in the Irish Channel are pyschic and we can put a geas upon you faster than you can blink your eye. Let’s see what else I can come up with: Oh yeah, out in the bayou country they worship Cthulu and wait for R’yleh to rise because we all know there are the deep ones runnning around in the bayou. Did I mention the loup garou? Got them too. Thats French for werewolves. Ooooooooh, vampires…Anne Rice was right I’ve seen Lestat once or twice. Have I covered everything? NOOOOOOO. Hey we gotta whole buncha ghosts here too. Wait a minute I thought this was near 'bouts the Feast of the Ephiphany. Why does this sound like Halloween.

My dear friend from Loooooosiayna,

What does all that mean??

I don’t “par les vous frances”, comprende?? :confused:

If your going for sarcasm, well done,

but if your jealous that you’re not from Texas just say so!(at least you’re not from Arkansas!!!–sorry Hogggs!)

:thumbsup:

Isn’t witchcraft condemned by the Church?

Must resist urge to make sarcastic comment…
To quote Monty Python:
“Witch! Burn her!”

I guess I couldn’t resist.

[quote=se~orcampana]My dear friend from Loooooosiayna,

but if your jealous that you’re not from Texas just say so!(at least you’re not from Arkansas!!!–sorry Hogggs!)

[/quote]

Nope, I think that everyone is secretly upset, including yourself, that you all aren’t from the beautiful state of NC.

I did think that he gave the translation for the french that he used. Perhaps the word Cthulu confused you. I thought that this was the name of a God, character(can’t remember which) who was created by H.P. Lovecraft.

Brotherolf, there aren’t people who actually worship H.P. Lovecraft’s mythology do they?:bigyikes:

[quote=se~orcampana]I don’t want to make anyone angry, but why are so many of these self proclaimed “witches” devoted Roman Catholics??

[/quote]

by definition, someone who is a self-proclaimed witch is not a devoted Roman Catholic, no matter what they say, because they have specificially rejected God and the Faith, and embraced Satan. If they say something else or use mannerisms and practices such as use of statues, sacramentals etc. to give a false impression, they are lying, because they worship the Father of Lies.

[quote=deb1]Brotherolf, there aren’t people who actually worship H.P. Lovecraft’s mythology do they?:bigyikes:
[/quote]

More than likely, yes…There are more:rolleyes: made-up religions from books & movies…

I don’t “par les vous frances”, comprende??

[/quote]

It is only fair to point out that there are:nope: no more witches, psychics, & neopagans in New Orleans than any place else on earth…The media just likes to say there are.

My own little (upstate NY) town, with a population of 2000 or so souls, has:eek: witches (2 covens); Odinists (worship the old Norse/Viking gods); Isis worshippers ( Egyptian god-worshippers)…

The home town of Spiritualism? Half an hour from my front door…I can show you where the Fox sisters first learned to:cool: make an easy buck off the suckers who are, Barnum said, born every minute.

No Cthulhu-ites , but lots & lots of Druids.

Gee, nobody comes up here, to get their:rolleyes: fortune told…

Is she from Haiti? I believe that many people from the islands have mixed Catholic spirituality with occult practices. It’s been going on for a few hundred years and and this woman may not even know that the two are diametrically opposed because she grew up with it.

[/quote]

Yes, I was being sarcastic. After Katrina there were a lot of people who said it was God’s judgment on NO because of all the witchcraft and voodoo allegedly there. Nothing could be further from the truth. Although there are practicioners of voodoo here, their numbers are very small and they are very, very secretive about it. The stuff you see in the French Quarter is hype made up for the tourists.

While I do like Texas a lot, I am quite content being a 7th generation New Orleanian and Louisianan.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.