With Most of America's Population Christian, How is the Media Much More Secular?

I find it very odd that having nearly 80% of the American population labeled "Christian" is not enough to make most of the movies, books, video games, TV shows, etc. greatly involve Christ or the Bible being mentioned. Are most Christians so ignorant that they blindly follow their own culture and accept secularism too highly? Or is the root of the problem that the most popular works within the media are not made by Christians at all, but by atheists or other irreligious people?

Furthermore, how come the Catholic Church is too uninvolved in spreading Christianity in the media more when its members are doing worse as practicing Christians? Could it be that most of the American population is only Christian in name and that most Christians don't even practice, let alone care about their own faith?

80% Christian, but then, 50% of Catholics support/have had abortions, so go figure. :frowning:

[quote="theflyingdove, post:1, topic:241123"]
I find it very odd that having nearly 80% of the American population labeled "Christian" is not enough to make most of the movies, books, video games, TV shows, etc. greatly involve Christ or the Bible being mentioned. Are most Christians so ignorant that they blindly follow their own culture and accept secularism too highly? Or is the root of the problem that the most popular works within the media are not made by Christians at all, but by atheists or other irreligious people?

Furthermore, how come the Catholic Church is too uninvolved in spreading Christianity in the media more when its members are doing worse as practicing Christians? Could it be that most of the American population is only Christian in name and that most Christians don't even practice, let alone care about their own faith?

[/quote]

I don't think 80% of this country are Christian. I think 80% label themselves as Christian, but really aren't when you get right down to it. Same applies to Catholic. When a majority of those who claim to be Catholic don't even attend Mass on Sunday, do practice artificial birth control, do support pro-abortion politicians, etc., you can rest assured that the majority of those claiming to be Catholic really aren't Catholic at all.

I think you may have come up with a reasonable answer on your own.

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:3, topic:241123"]
I don't think 80% of this country are Christian. I think 80% label themselves as Christian, but really aren't when you get right down to it. Same applies to Catholic. When a majority of those who claim to be Catholic don't even attend Mass on Sunday, do practice artificial birth control, do support pro-abortion politicians, etc., you can rest assured that the majority of those claiming to be Catholic really aren't Catholic at all.

[/quote]

Does that mean that a lot of those so-called "Christians" are really nothing more than agnostics, to say the least? I guess that these statistics are not exactly the most reliable source of information around.

[quote="theflyingdove, post:5, topic:241123"]
Does that mean that a lot of those so-called "Christians" are really nothing more than agnostics, to say the least?

[/quote]

I don't think so. If pressed, I suspect most would acknowledge God's existence and our duty to follow his will. However, for most people such attitudes are compartmentalized so that they have little influence on their lives, outside (perhaps) attending church.

As for the accuracy of the percentages, I think it is hard to gauge how seriously an individual takes their faith simply by asking questions. The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life likely has the most accurate information, though, if you are inclined to look.

First of all, within the American Christian population, a large chunk of people are born again. So the secular media might be a blessing in disguise, people.

Secondly, if every show, game, movie, piece of music, etc. was specifically religious, I think I would lose my mind.

I already integrate 15 hours of study/discussion per week as it is, sometimes it's good to have some "worldly" stuff going on. Course, not saying to "turn your Christianity off", just, we need to mix it up a bit every once in awhile. :)

[quote="theflyingdove, post:1, topic:241123"]

[/quote]

Dear theflyingdove,

Cordial greetings and good day. A very warm welcome to CAF.

In short, and without wishing to appear too simplistic, the answer is nominal religion. Many who identify themselves as Christians have a religious belief that, alas, exists in name only, but since such a formal belief is not at the very centre of their lives, they seldom think with an authentic Christian mind. Multitudes of men are Christian in name only and so it is hardly surprising that there is neither substance nor fruit in their lives. As Sacred Scripture reminds us, it is all too possible to hold "the form of religion" and yet deny its power (cf. II Tim. 3: 5); there can be a religious profession that is nothing more than a mere matter of form and custom ('folk religion', as it used to be termed) and which, accordingly, is devoid of any real influence upon the heart and life.

In view of this, many who 'profess' religion show very little interest in exerting a wholesome influence in the community or sphere of work in which they live and move and have their being each day. Moreover, such 'Christians' themselves all too readily embrace the lowered and debased standards of the world until, at length, they become so contaminated by its impurities that they are virtually indistinguishable from avowed secularists.

Unfortunately, dear friend, there is much worldliness within the Catholic Church today and many of the faithful refuse the call to sanctity and separation from the world, choosing instead an effete hand in hand with the world sort of Christian discipleship, a 'Catholicism Lite' (George Wiegel). Therefore, it is unlikely that such men will have any inclination to disseminate the Gospel and promote Christian standards of decency and good taste within the godless media. On the contrary, I suspect that they are more preoccupied with thoughts about not appearing to be too prissy or Puritan and not doing or saying anything that might damage the Church's credibility in the eyes of the world. Alas, they just do not understand that the glory of the Gospel is that when Holy Mother Church is absolutely different from the world, she invariably attracts it. It is then that the world will respect the Church and listen to its life transforming message, even though it might despise and reject it at first.

All of us can be saviours of society, whatever our vocation, if we only have a true and living faith that is characterised by a life of sanctity and separation from the godless world.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax

At one time, there were hundreds of independent publishers. At one time, there was a rule that one media entity could own only so many newspapers, radio stations and television broadcasters. Today, only a handful of giant corporations own most of the media and the owners can impose their beliefs on the outlets they control.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:7, topic:241123"]
First of all, within the American Christian population, a large chunk of people are born again. So the secular media might be a blessing in disguise, people.

Secondly, if every show, game, movie, piece of music, etc. was specifically religious, I think I would lose my mind.

I already integrate 15 hours of study/discussion per week as it is, sometimes it's good to have some "worldly" stuff going on. Course, not saying to "turn your Christianity off", just, we need to mix it up a bit every once in awhile. :)

[/quote]

I am not entirely opposed to entertainment or secularism, especially when it can be really meaningful. There is a lot of good use for topics like science, religion, history, etc.--ones that are all about educating a person to live one's life as well as possible. As for things that are secular forms of entertainment, I think that we have a little too much of that. Secularism is advancing way, way too rapidly for religion to ever catch up as an interest in the media. Slowing it down, by not producing so many unnecessary books, games, movies, etc. may not seem like such a bad idea.

If most Christians find themselves too wrapped around this secular culture, then maybe they're too worldly and therefore should spend as little time with anything nonreligious as possible, except, of course, for things that are about educating one and which go hand-in-hand with Christianity.

I don't think a secular media would be so bad if they weren't so clearly biased. We have one major, extremely biased news network on the right and several subtly biased networks on the left. It's hard to find a good middle ground, and I really appreciate it when I can find news that isn't "Obama professes desire to eat babies!" or "Planned Parenthood support on the rise; 'expert' recommends everyone become pro-choice." or something else ridiculously one-sided.

The media, especially journalists, are not secular. Almost all college journalism schools were taken over by communistic professors in the 1960’s and 1970’s and this has carried on through the subsequent decades. The students entering these majors want to change the world, not merely report, and they are taught to attack the structures of capitalism and question institutions like our Church and all Christianity.

They are very subversive even if they are in denial about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.