With 'One Nation,' liberal groups aim to match tea party's energy, influence

Everybody duck! The backlash has begun:

"If imitation is the highest form of flattery, the "tea party" movement must be honored.

In an effort to replicate the tea party's success, 170 liberal and civil rights groups are forming a coalition that they hope will match the movement's political energy and influence. They promise to "counter the tea party narrative" and help the progressive movement find its voice again after 18 months of floundering.

The large-scale attempt at liberal unity, dubbed "One Nation," will try to revive themes that energized the progressive grassroots two years ago. In a repurposing of Barack Obama's old campaign slogan, organizers are demanding "all the change" they voted for -- a poke at the White House.."
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/09/AR2010070903716.html?nav=rss_email/components

Soooo, because a group of people are opposing what the tea party is all about they are immitating them? Does that mean the tea party was immitating previous political movements that came before them and so on and so forth?

A political movement is a political movement. It happens when enough people can finally get it together enough to rally for or against a cause or causes. It has nothing to do with immitation or flatery. It's just cause and effect.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:1, topic:204784"]

"If imitation is the highest form of flattery, the "tea party" movement must be honored.

In an effort to replicate the tea party's success, 170 liberal and civil rights groups are forming a coalition that they hope will match the movement's political energy and influence. They promise to "counter the tea party narrative" and help the progressive movement find its voice again after 18 months of floundering.

The large-scale attempt at liberal unity, dubbed "One Nation," will try to revive themes that energized the progressive grassroots two years ago. In a repurposing of Barack Obama's old campaign slogan, organizers are demanding "all the change" they voted for -- a poke at the White House.."
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/09/AR2010070903716.html?nav=rss_email/components

[/quote]

I don't think we really need to worry too much about the tea party, look at the primaries they are nominating candidates who are radical, extremists who are unlikely to get elected in the general. Case in point Rand Paul and Sharron Angle (who is turning out to be an early Christmas present to Harry Reid). Also look at the so called leader..Mrs Palin who is incapable of a coherent thought let alone give one specific policy point and she has a big problem with the truth, even the smallest things turn out to be lies like where she went for healthcare as a child.

They are just angry vocal group who is in reality are toothless (their promised second amendment remedies notwithstanding). They himmer and hollar about Socialization, Communism, Botchulism even and I kid you not on this one....they believe that Fluoride in our drinking water is a Communist mind control plot! That is on the platform of the John Birch Society who co-sponsored this year's C-Pac convention.

So while any extremist group, especially those who sometimes threaten violence, need to be watched closely. Ultimately I think this group is harmless, just entertainment for rest of us.

[quote="Kuan_Yin, post:3, topic:204784"]

They are just angry vocal group who is in reality are toothless (their promised second amendment remedies notwithstanding). They himmer and hollar about Socialization, Communism, Botchulism even and I kid you not on this one....they believe that Fluoride in our drinking water is a Communist mind control plot! That is on the platform of the John Birch Society who co-sponsored this year's C-Pac convention.

So while any extremist group, especially those who sometimes threaten violence, need to be watched closely. Ultimately I think this group is harmless, just entertainment for rest of us.

[/quote]

Republicans are hollering about intoxicated food and family customs?

And yes, all Republicans are Birchers and all Democrats are Black Panthers.

I think this is your second post on Fluoride today. I'm beginning to worry that General Jack D. Ripper quotes are right around the corner.

To somewhat paraphrase General Turgidson: No more than 45-50 Democrats defeated in November...depending on the breaks.

[/quote]

Will they be as successful as the left's attempt to counter conservative talk radio? Probably less so.

Ishii

[quote="Ocean52680, post:4, topic:204784"]
Republicans are hollering about intoxicated food and family customs?

And yes, all Republicans are Birchers and all Democrats are Black Panthers.

I think this is your second post on Fluoride today. I'm beginning to worry that General Jack D. Ripper quotes are right around the corner.

To somewhat paraphrase General Turgidson: No more than 45-50 Democrats defeated in November...depending on the breaks.

[/quote]

When the Black Panthers sponsor a Major Democratic event like the Republican's C-Pac, I will say you have a point. In my original post I didn't even mention Republicans, I spoke of the tea party.

Everyone should be worried about intoxicated food, I am grateful there are people who are standing up for our food safety. Its not the Liberals who are worried about family customs, we just want them to be inclusive, its the Conservatives who are hollaring about including certain groups is our societal definition of what a family is.

Yes, you are correct I did have another post earlier mentioning Fluoride in the drinking water. Don't lose any sleep over Fluoride, it's in our drinking water to protect our teeth, nothing else.

[quote="Kuan_Yin, post:6, topic:204784"]
When the Black Panthers sponsor a Major Democratic event like the Republican's C-Pac, I will say you have a point. In my original post I didn't even mention Republicans, I spoke of the tea party.

[/quote]

You are right that the American Conservative Union, head sponsor of CPAC, is not a strictly Republican group. However, Palin, Paul and Angle are Republicans. And you mention all three in your post.

Do note that move-on.org and media matters, two organizations closely tied to the national Democratic Party and its candidates, have co-sponsored events with such groups as United for Peace and Justice, International Answer, and Acorn. Just like the Birchers, all three have views far outside of the mainstream.

It would be inaccurate to suggest that your cereal bowl does not have its share of fruit loops.

[quote="Ocean52680, post:7, topic:204784"]
It would be inaccurate to suggest that your cereal bowl does not have its share of fruit loops.

[/quote]

You made a point that I cannot disagree with.

[/quote]

Curiouser and curiouser ... :)

I'm observing this from the standpoint of someone who attended a local Tea Party rally inspired by those here at CAF who bashed the Tea Party just enough to make me curious to go see for myself what it was like.

~~ the phoenix

Case in point Rand Paul and Sharron Angle (who is turning out to be an early Christmas present to Harry Reid). Also look at the so called leader..Mrs Palin who is incapable of a coherent thought let alone give one specific policy point and she has a big problem with the truth, even the smallest things turn out to be lies like where she went for healthcare as a child.

[/quote]

I tend to watch people's posts before I form my opinion of them. I just have one question, are you ignorant of the facts, or just posting liberal lies for whatever reason?

[/quote]

Fantastic! May they have as much success as AirAmerica did when it tried to counter conservative talk radio! :thumbsup:

[quote="Kuan_Yin, post:6, topic:204784"]

Everyone should be worried about intoxicated food,

[/quote]

Exactly how does one go about checking food to see if it is intoxicated? See if it can stand up straight on your kinfe without falling off?

[quote="pnewton, post:12, topic:204784"]
Exactly how does one go about checking food to see if it is intoxicated? See if it can stand up straight on your kinfe without falling off?

[/quote]

Does this mean no more beer-battered fish? :eek:
Does this mean no more cooking with white wine? :p

Well, take that away, and there's always still high tea!
I'll have a cup of Yorkshire Gold, thank you very much.
:thumbsup:

I don't think we really need to worry too much about the tea party, look at the primaries they are nominating candidates who are radical, extremists who are unlikely to get elected in the general. Case in point Rand Paul and Sharron Angle (who is turning out to be an early Christmas present to Harry Reid). Also look at the so called leader..Mrs Palin who is incapable of a coherent thought let alone give one specific policy point and she has a big problem with the truth, even the smallest things turn out to be lies like where she went for healthcare as a child.

[/quote]

One thing liberals don't seem to be able to grasp is this: the Tea Party is not a political party; they aren't bound by the rules that the Republicans follow and the Democrats ignore as it suits them. Your personal venom towards Sarah Palin is actually amusing, considering the complete lack of fact or logic behind it. Speaking as a Canadian, I can tell you that when Sarah Palin's parents took her to Whitehorse for medical treatment, there was no universal health care at that time. I realize that history doesn't start until 2008 for many liberals, but really...get some facts, please.

Harry Reid is terrified that Sharron Angle is going to hand him his lungs in November. ANd he's right to be; the tea party is made up of people who are sick and tired of the constant tax-and-spend, eternally-higher deficits and debts, and complete lack of accountability in Washington. And the number of people who fit that description is growing every single time Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi open their arrogant mouths and tell them what they are supposed to believe, do, think, or feel.

The 2010 mid-terms are going to make the Democrats wish they were back in 1994.

What’s the phrase? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

[/quote]

It's beyond lame. It's the liberals that have always had the political advocacy organizations, Moveon.org, CodePink, NOW, and dozens more, they've always been wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democratic Party, some group like NOW's whole job is to do a lot of whining if a Republican does something sexist but look the other way if a Bill Clinton or someone abuses women. Anytime there's been protest marches and rallies, it's always been a liberal group. These guys just can't handle that over half the country has woken up and sees what an incompetent we now have in the White House running the country into a ditch

[quote="the_phoenix, post:13, topic:204784"]
Does this mean no more beer-battered fish? :eek:
Does this mean no more cooking with white wine? :p

Well, take that away, and there's always still high tea!
I'll have a cup of Yorkshire Gold, thank you very much.
:thumbsup:

[/quote]

We could form a Texas Tea party. Now* that* would be a party.

[quote="Suudy, post:15, topic:204784"]
What's the phrase? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

[/quote]

Flattery or flatulence?

Well, either way ‘One Nation’ is a bunch of air. :stuck_out_tongue:

Two questions . . . do you have to belong to a union to be a "One Nationer"? And, if not, how long do you have to join one before they kick you out?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.