Withholding absolution

Let's say I murdered someone. I went to confession and said, "Father, I killed someone." Then he can withhold absolution until I turn myself in. Doesn't that seem a little wrong because God forgives everyone?

[quote="White_Peony, post:1, topic:293012"]
Let's say I murdered someone. I went to confession and said, "Father, I killed someone." Then he can withhold absolution until I turn myself in. Doesn't that seem a little wrong because God forgives everyone?

[/quote]

I believe the reason for this is that within the Sacrament there are three "acts" to be fulfilled - contrition, disclosure and satisfaction. The reason a priest can withhold absolution in this case is because the "act" of contrition isn't fulfilled. Turning yourself in, however, would be an outward sign of the guilt one felt...

I was under the impression that, in this instance, a priest could not make a murderer turn themselves in to receive absolution. Am I wrong?

[/quote]

No, he can't withhold absolution until you turn yourself in as long as he is convinced of your contrition.

Absolution can only be withheld if the person is not contrite or if the sin is one reserved to the Bishop or the Holy See.

[quote="Brod337, post:2, topic:293012"]
I believe the reason for this is that within the Sacrament there are three "acts" to be fulfilled - contrition, disclosure and satisfaction. The reason a priest can withhold absolution in this case is because the "act" of contrition isn't fulfilled. Turning yourself in, however, would be an outward sign of the guilt one felt...

[/quote]

The obligation to perform satisfaction is on the penitent and is not a condition for absolution. In most cases, the direction to perform satisfaction is part of the penance which is completed AFTER the penitent is dismissed from the confessional - AFTER absolution.

In that case can the priest stop the confession before it reaches the point of such a sin being confessed - a sin that would perhaps oblige them to turn in the penitent - and remove himself from such an obligation that would force him to potentially break the seal and ask that person to turn themselves in before the sacrament is completed?

[/quote]

As mentioned, he could not withhold absolution until you turned yourself in. He could withhold absolution if you said "father, I killed someone, it was awesome, I'm not sorry, and I plan on doing it again tomorrow."

[quote="Brod337, post:6, topic:293012"]
In that case can the priest stop the confession before it reaches the point of such a sin being confessed - a sin that would perhaps oblige them to turn in the penitent - and remove himself from such an obligation that would force him to potentially break the seal and ask that person to turn themselves in before the sacrament is completed?

[/quote]

The priest can stop the list of sins. That happens occasionally due to time constraints. But the priest would still then absolve the penitent and that absolution would include all of the sins he intended to confess. He can't stop the Confession and withhold absolution unless he is convinced the penitent is not contrite.

The seal "attaches" once the Confession begins not once the Sacrament is complete. In your example, the priest would have to know that there is some "really bad sin" that he doesn't want to hear about and he would have knowledge of this from a source outside the Confessional. If the priest knows, from a source outside the Confessional, that the person committed a crime, he can report it to the authorities and avoid all this attempt to twist the Sacrament.

Let's say I murdered someone. I went to confession and said, "Father, I killed someone." Then he can withhold absolution until I turn myself in.

[/quote]

Where did you get this idea? It is not true

Christ sacrificed Himself to gain for all of us the right to be forgiven if we repent.

But Jesus was very clear on the matter of remission of sins:

Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them;

and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

The confessor may therefore righteously withholds the absolution, for Christ has given him authority to do so.

Of course, the Church assists the confessor in learning when this is proper.

[quote="Brod337, post:6, topic:293012"]
...sin being confessed - a sin that would perhaps oblige them to turn in the penitent...

[/quote]

There is nothing that can force a Priest to break the seal in any manner.

=White Peony;9572018]Let’s say I murdered someone. I went to confession and said, “Father, I killed someone.” Then he can withhold absolution until I turn myself in. Doesn’t that seem a little wrong because God forgives everyone?

READ John 20:19-23

God Forgives ONLY those who do as HE COMMANDS and use the Catholic Sacrament of Confession.

John.20 Verses 19 to 23

"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you."
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.*** If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”***

ALSO READ 1ST JOHN
1: 5-7
5: 15-17

AS YOU STATED THE PRIEST IF HE DETERMINED YOUR SINCERE SORROW would grant absolution and might suggest you turn yourself in but cannot make it a condition of forgiveness, nor can he even discuss it with anyone else:thumbsup:

God Bless,
pat/PJM

Could he make turning yourself in your penance? What would happen to the absolution if penance wasn't done?

[quote="FIU_student, post:13, topic:293012"]
Could he make turning yourself in your penance?

[/quote]

No.

What would happen to the absolution if penance wasn't done?

[/quote]

Nothing.

Could he make turning yourself in your penance? What would happen to the absolution if penance wasn't done?

[/quote]

I wondered about this not that long ago and asked here on CAF. The priest can never reveal the penitent's sin/crime to anyone. The priest must forfeit his life if necessary. He cannot *ever *reveal what a penitent has told him and he can never make turning oneself in a condition for absolution. It doesn't work that way.

From my own personal experience, I was very afraid that the priest would withhold absolution unless I turned myself in to the authorities. So I was very afraid to go to Confession and was putting it off. I went to Confession and my sin was absolved. The priest never told me I had to turn myself in. The penance I received was no different than what I would have received at any other time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.