Without Divine Sanction, are Governments Simply Complex Criminal Syndicates?

I am trying to ask a serious question here, though I may be doing it wrong, coming from a misleading perspective or something. I don’t know. I thought about it a bit and couldn’t figure out how to ask it so I am just going to toss it out there and see how stupid I look when the dust settles.

Libertarians are well known for comparing government and criminal organizations. Often stated by them is something along the lines of, “When a man sticks a gun to your head and says give me your money or I will do horrible things to you, that is robbery. Why is it OK simply because the government does it? Why is it not still robbery?”

My response to my libertarian friends has always been along the lines of quoting St Paul, that God has placed our governments in charge over our lives in order to protect the good and punish the evil. This costs money and thus Jesus tells us to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s."

But what if the government becomes evil? What if the government instead of punishing evil instead begins to reward it? What if the church and all Bible based Christian denominations become persecuted and harassed on a regular basis by the government?

Is there a point at which the government is no longer sanctioned by God and we are under no obligation to obey it? And who decides when this point has arrived?

Or perhaps is there no limit at all to what a government can do, we are still obligated to obey?

What happens when governments stop representing the people and only represent the political class and their cronies? (this is the US government)

Another question: If a private corporation makes money off of illegal activity, this violates the RICO act. When government makes money off of illegal activity, that corporation is also violating the RICO act. Fines, penalties, civil forfeiture…making money off of illegal activity.

I don’t think that there is an obligation for government to represent the will of the people as long as they protect and reward those who do good and punish those who do evil.

Today our oligarchs seem to subscribe to the notion that there is no good or evil other than supporting their policies and social change/re-engineering. That is problematic when it comes to rewarding good and punishing evil.

The government often exempts itself when they pass these laws. And they also have segregated agency law from criminal law, so that a person accused of violating environmental regs and laws do not have the same civil rights protections one has in criminal proceedings.

As the Declaration of Independence states:

“When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”

I guess that’s what the people should do when their government becomes too oppressive!

Extremists like you are on the DHS watchlist for GOOD reason! /just kidding :smiley:

I probably have a file several inches thick by now. :blush:

That would explain the helicopters I’ve been hearing lately! :eek:

But if all they do is represent the political class and their cronies, those who do evil in that group don’t get punished, and good people don’t get rewarded since the political class and their cronies get rewarded.

The government often exempts itself when they pass these laws. And they also have segregated agency law from criminal law, so that a person accused of violating environmental regs and laws do not have the same civil rights protections one has in criminal proceedings.

Actually they segregated civil law from criminal law. We have no civil rights in civil courts. Whether this is administrative hearings or civil forfeiture, no civil rights are for the people in those proceedings.

Thanks, I meant civil law as agency law is about contracts, etc

:thumbsup:.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.