Witnesses during Annulment

I have 4 witnesses for my marriage annulment. They are willing to testify about my marriage and my ex wife behavior at the time of the marriage. However, they are concerned about my ex wife finding out that they are witness. My question is this: Will the tribunal provide the names of witnesses to my ex wife during the annulment proceeding?

[quote="Wolfpac, post:1, topic:238940"]
I have 4 witnesses for my marriage annulment. They are willing to testify about my marriage and my ex wife behavior at the time of the marriage. However, they are concerned about my ex wife finding out that they are witness. My question is this: Will the tribunal provide the names of witnesses to my ex wife during the annulment proceeding?

[/quote]

No.

You can certainly ask the Tribunal Office to be sure (I would recommend it), but I do not believe it is customary for them to share that information. They have done this thing before, and so I am sure they are sensitive to your concerns.

You are lining up witnesses and putting together testimony and you haven't even met with the priest yet. Stop! Let the priest guide you. He will explain everything.

As the respondent, your wife will have the opportunity to give her own testimony, have her own witnesses, and she will have an opportunity to read the testimony provided by you and your witnesses. She is not required to participate or to read testimony, but she can if she chooses. The name of the witness can be removed from the testimony if there is a need for that-- but the respondent will still be able to read it, so it is *possible *she would be able to figure out who the witness was from the testimony.

Please just stop trying to do everything without having even had the initial meeting with your priest to establish facts. You will have a canonical advocate who will help you through the process.

Really, stop trying to do this on your own. You need to follow the diocesan procedures.

Interesting…they never informed me of this when I went through my annulment.

Please see your priest.

Hello Wolfpac,

For the sake of accuracy, I will answer this question after seconding (or thirding) the suggestion to take this one step at a time and talk with a real-life priest.

The answer is yes, the tribunal is required to inform the Parties (petitioner and respondent) as to who has been suggested as a witness by the other Party.

“Can. 1554 Before the witnesses are examined, their names are to be communicated to the parties; if in the prudent judgment of the judge, however, that cannot be done without grave difficulty, it is to be done at least before the publication of the testimonies.”

Each Party has the right to object to a certain witness, giving reasons for the objection. The Judge will then decide whether to allow the witness to testify or not.

Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.