Witnessing to Jehovah's Witnesses?

Hi there, I would like some help in knowing the correct way to witness to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

For instance, how to deal with their views that Jesus is the Archangel Michael, that the trinity is not scriptural because the word “trinity” is not in the bible, how the bible is the only means to salvation, etc.

Thanks for your help and God Bless you.

[quote=Catholics4Life]Hi there, I would like some help in knowing the correct way to witness to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

For instance, how to deal with their views that Jesus is the Archangel Michael, that the trinity is not scriptural because the word “trinity” is not in the bible, how the bible is the only means to salvation, etc.

[/quote]

Have you tried typing in “Jehovah’s Witnesses” or “Watchtower” in the Catholic Answers’s search engine?

Here’s one section:

catholic.com/library/noncatholic_groups.asp

I’d get Jason Evert’s book “Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses”, too.

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-CB259.html?L+scstore+nlph4093ff91e091+1115767381

I highly recommend it.

As far as Sola Scriptura:
geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/staplessolascriptura.html
geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/solascriptura21.html

I did type in Jehovah’s Witnesses, but have not tried Watchtower, so I will do that as well. Thank you so much for the information.

1. Go to your local christian bookstore.

2. Buy a book called “Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

3. DO NOT buy the companion book, “Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Roman Catholics.” Pick up a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church instead. (It’s a much easier read.)

4. Read the Jehovah’s Witnesses book cover-to-cover. Read it again. Pay particular attention to the quip "The average Jehovah’s witness can make a ‘doctrinal pretzel’ out of the average Christian in about 30 seconds.

5. Do not attempt to take on these people point-for-point unless you are extremely familiar with both their doctrine and your own. Limit yourself to offering to pray for them “in the name of Jesus Christ.” (They believe this is blasphemy, and will probably look for a fast exit.)

6. Pity them and pray for them anyway. At their worst, JW’s are obsessed that armageddon is just around the cornder, so the they have to quit both school and jobs, spend their life’s savings on JW tracts, then desparately try re-sell the same JW literature to you in the hopes that can kick a less worthy JW out of the 144,000 in heaven.

[quote=Nan S]2. Buy a book called “Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah’s Witnesses.”
[/quote]

Just so you know, the JWs will end the conversation, the moment you pull any non-JW publications out. I don’t know the above book, but if you get it, pull some key points out, and write them on paper, or memorize them.

1. Read the Jehovah’s Witnesses book cover-to-cover. Read it again. Pay particular attention to the quip "The average Jehovah’s witness can make a ‘doctrinal pretzel’ out of the average Christian in about 30 seconds.

Very true. Every Thursday night, they have a meeting that, if I recall, lasts 2 hours specifically about how to go teach everyone else about being a JW, and much of it is focused on defending their views. They have this stuff pounded into their heads.

1. Do not attempt to take on these people point-for-point unless you are extremely familiar with both their doctrine and your own. Limit yourself to offering to pray for them “in the name of Jesus Christ.” (They believe this is blasphemy, and will probably look for a fast exit.)

This will probably prompt them to leave. If you want them to leave, do this. Or, tell them “I am not interested. Please notify your organization that I do not wish any JW to call on my house again.” (this will last for 1 year, then they’ll be back)

I would like to point out that the JWs do pray “in the name of Jesus Christ” so that won’t phase them.

1. Pity them and pray for them anyway. At their worst, JW’s are obsessed that armageddon is just around the cornder, so the they have to quit both school and jobs, spend their life’s savings on JW tracts, then desparately try re-sell the same JW literature to you in the hopes that can kick a less worthy JW out of the 144,000 in heaven.

By coming into a conversation misinformed about JW beliefs, you open yourself to them taking the opportunity to correct you. The JWs don’t see things that way, for one. And as a whole, they are not so concerned about quitting school and jobs as they once were. Most JWs have no aspirations to be one of the 144,000. Most are taught that the earth will be a paradise, and that’s where they want to be. In their belief, there is no competition to get into heaven, either you will or won’t.
(cont’d)

I’m not defending JWs with the above. But, the original question asked how to witness to them, so it sounds like Catholics4Life would like to know how to intelligently discuss certain topics with the hope of making them see reason. As an ex-JW I can tell you that they love when people get their beliefs wrong, because they can then show you the light. And before you undertake such an adventure, please please - be strong in your faith, and be prepared to find answers to the doubts they can put into your head. The JWs are good at that. But that’s not because they are right. They are just taught the skills necessary to argue well.

Now, in attempting to answer the original question myself, I would have a bit of a difficult time. Because of the JWs, I’ve been agnostic for the last 10 years, bordering on atheism. I’m brand new to the Catholic faith, but I honestly believe that this is God’s Church, and I’m learning all I can. But, here’s what I have to say that might help:

Regarding your question on Michael, on 101 Questions every JW should be asked it says:
[size=2]

1. In Mt 4:10, Jesus clearly has the authority to rebuke Satan and does so. Jude 9 says, “But when Michael the archangel had a difference with the Devil…he did not dare to bring a judgment against him…but said, “May Jehovah rebuke you.” If Jesus is Michael the Archangel, why did Michael, refuse to rebuke Satan in Jude 9, when he clearly did so in Mt 4:10? [size=2][/size]
    Take a look also at numbers 41, 94, and 98 regarding Michael the Archangel.

Regarding the Trinity, the 101 Questions page says:

1. Amos 4:11 says, “‘I caused an overthrow among you people, like God’s overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah. And you came to be like a log snatched out of [the] burning; but you did not come back to me,’ is the utterance of Jehovah.” If the Trinity does not exist, then how can Jehovah, speaking in this verse, refer to another person as God ("… like GOD’S overthrow of Sodom …")?

Look also at number 6 - it’s a very detailed piece.

I would say that arguing sola scriptura to a JW on your first go round is pointless. But at the Just for Catholics page of the above site, there is some really good information on this. Now, remember when discussing this - JWs have been told that Catholics don’t read the bible - some are even told Catholics aren’t allowed to read the bible. And JWs have no idea how strongly the bible’s origin ties into the Catholic Church. It would be a good idea to research that concept thoroughly yourself if you plan on bringing it up.

And, a piece of final advice. Find a single topic for discussion per conversation. Do not let it wander around from subject to subject, or your head will spin. Be reasonable with them, but don’t expect a miracle. JWs have it ingrained to ignore all teachings that contradict theirs. Until a JW has a reason to open their eyes (such as falling and finding that their “God” is not as forgiving as they once thought, or if they have come to a point where they are only in it out of fear and can see a glimmer of hope elsewhere) they will remain blind to all reason. Feel free to contact me if I can help more.[/size]

So how does one know if they are one of the 144000? What stops someone from saying they feel they are one of the few?

[quote=Catholics4Life]Hi there, I would like some help in knowing the correct way to witness to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

[/quote]

Ask them where in the bible does it say that the Bible alone is the only means. If they mention the word scripture in the New Testament tell them that the word scripture meant the Old Testament only because the New Testament wasn’t around during Jesus’ time. It was the Septuagint that the New Testament people were referring to when they were talking about scripture.

If it’s your turn to ask, ask them where in the Bible does it say that ONLY a 144,000 will be saved?

Funny thing is, noone knows who belongs to that 144,000

Great post Misty.
I’ve posted this elsewhere but here goes - it has to do with the question of whether or not Jesus is the archangel Michael.
The scriptures clearly state that Jesus is not an angel:

Hebrews 1:5-6 For to which of the angels did He ever say “You are my son, today I have begotten you?” And again , “I will be a father to Him, and He shall be a Son to me”? And when again He brings the firstborn into the world, He says, " And let all the angels of God worship Him."
**Hebrews 1:13 **But to which of the angels has He ever said, “Siot at my right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet”?

Worship of angels is prohibited in Colossians 2:18, but Jesus accepts worship (John 20:28, etc.)

You might want to visit my website and see if anything there helps.

www.catholicxjw.com

Jeff S.
Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses

[quote=Catholic Dude]So how does one know if they are one of the 144000? What stops someone from saying they feel they are one of the few?
[/quote]

They say that they “just know” through Divine Inspiration. And nothing stops someone from saying they are one of the few, but it would be considered a very bad sin to do so if you aren’t. And the 144,000 are supposed to help Jesus rule in heaven after His 1,000 year reign over the earth after Armageddon. Since those people will be in heaven, and not on earth, most JWs don’t want to be one of them, because they won’t be with their families.

[quote=gryskull]If it’s your turn to ask, ask them where in the Bible does it say that ONLY a 144,000 will be saved?
[/quote]

Be forwarned, the JWs are VERY versed in explaining this. Don’t ask unless you’ve researched very thoroughly about how this can’t be true.

By even speaking with the JWs you are opening yourself to be converted by them, whether you realize it or not. They are very good at basically what amounts to brainwashing. Enter into these conversations with caution.

Awhile back, as I was pulling weeds in my front yard, 2 jws walked up and began a discussion on their version of heaven, hell, and their assertion that we can live forever in a paradise on earth. I saw an opening to insert purgatory and they looked like I’d struck them. The talkative one began telling me that the Bible supports no such place. I pointed out from the NAB, 2 Macabbees, that it certainly does. Talkative answered that Catholics “added” that book to the Bible.

To make a 45 minute story short, I explained that the reformers removed the book and the other 6 and shortened Isaiah and Esther and asked them where the authority to do that came from. I continued on that path till they began to back away and finally Talkative said she’s have to “go home and look that up”. Said she’d be back.
I bid them a pleasent day and waved goodbye. They never did come back.
Score 1 for The Holy Catholic Church and history!
I hoped she really did go “look that up” and a crack appeared in her closed mind to The Truth. :yup:

Misty,

YOU GO GIRL !!!

:thumbsup:

Your sister,
CM

[quote=MistyF]They say that they “just know” through Divine Inspiration. And nothing stops someone from saying they are one of the few, but it would be considered a very bad sin to do so if you aren’t. And the 144,000 are supposed to help Jesus rule in heaven after His 1,000 year reign over the earth after Armageddon. Since those people will be in heaven, and not on earth, most JWs don’t want to be one of them, because they won’t be with their families.

[/quote]

What do you mean by wont be with their family? Dont they realize that nothing is impossible with God, or what if they dont have family or the family is not JW? Is the reward for following God a nice plot of land with a garden or is it eternal life not restricted to earth, and not needing food, sleep, etc only worshiping and serving God?

originally posted by** Catholic Dude**
Is the reward for following God a nice plot of land with a garden

Apparently, and fortunately for you, you’ve never looked at any of their books; yes, the reward ***is ***a nice plot of land with a garden. Also a pet lion.

[quote=catsrus]Apparently, and fortunately for you, you’ve never looked at any of their books; yes, the reward ***is ***a nice plot of land with a garden. Also a pet lion.
[/quote]

I have looked through a little bit, but I didnt know they were that serious.

Just yesterday I had the JW’s at my door so I invited them in. I’d been sitting reading scripture, with my Strong’s concordance and multiple translations of the bible scattered around me when they rang the bell, so the timing was great!

It’s awesome to read above that they are frequently told that Catholics are not allowed to read the bible, because I grabbed my tabbed bible for our discussion and when we got onto the topic of why the Catholic Bible has more books, he responded that mine was an “interesting perspective”, but quickly dismissed it with the fact that there’s no evidence that the books were ever accepted as belonging to the Canon, and that there were “Bibles” that didn’t include them. I popped up and went over to the chair where I’d been sitting, grabbed a “New Testament” Bible and asked if this was the Whole Bible. No, of course not, and yet it says “Bible”. I didn’t mention the fact that a hand written bible gets extremely expensive and that not everyone who wanted some scripture could afford the entire thing.

They didn’t stay too long, I think they were shocked to encounter a Catholic who was on-fire for Jesus. I may have overwhelmed them and they may not return, knowing they’ll not make much headway here. :frowning: I want more opportunities to converse with them. Otherwise how can they come to know the fullness of the Truth?

CARose

[quote=Catholic Dude]What do you mean by wont be with their family? Dont they realize that nothing is impossible with God, or what if they dont have family or the family is not JW? Is the reward for following God a nice plot of land with a garden or is it eternal life not restricted to earth, and not needing food, sleep, etc only worshiping and serving God?
[/quote]

JWs believe that at Armageddon, everyone alive will have had the opportunity to know Christ, and will either be in his graces, or have denied him. So, any non-JW will then perish. Everyone else will slowly be resurrected, and be given a chance to serve God or die at the end of 1,000 years. So, yeah, JWs believe they will “live forever in paradise on earth” without their families, if their families aren’t JWs. Only the 144,000 will be in heaven. Everyone else will be on earth, and they will still eat, sleep, etc. But the main thing will be worshipping God and restoring the earth.

CARose - you may have planted a seed of truth into one of their minds. That is really the most you can hope to accomplish when there are more than one there. They have to appear faithful to the person they are with, because word would get back if they even acted like they considered what you said. And some day, they may have a chance to allow the truth to grow in their hearts. I did. :slight_smile:

**CARose said:

…he responded that mine was an “interesting perspective”, but quickly dismissed it with the fact that there’s no evidence that the books were ever accepted as belonging to the Canon

**What is unfortunate is that when a person starts to come under the influence of the Witnesses, they are strongly discouraged from considering any other “evidence” other than what has already been digested and provided for them by their leadership. On top of this, they are kept busy with a program of study and preparation for meetings that would make it very difficult to even find the time to look into any “outside sources”.

It is a rare Witness who is able to break through this and begin to look into things on their own. If only they would take the time to do some independant research into the early Church (the information is available) they would see that things are not quite as they’re being told.

I think your experience is very good because when they “walked in on you” studying the Bible :eek: it provided visual evidence that cut through what they are constantly told - that Catholics can’t or won’t study the Bible. That will be hard to forget.

Maybe the time is coming when Witnesses will walk away from the doors of Catholics, saying to themselves - “…those Catholics sure know their Bibles…”

[quote=CARose]Just yesterday I had the JW’s at my door so I invited them in. I’d been sitting reading scripture, with my Strong’s concordance and multiple translations of the bible scattered around me when they rang the bell, so the timing was great!

It’s awesome to read above that they are frequently told that Catholics are not allowed to read the bible, because I grabbed my tabbed bible for our discussion and when we got onto the topic of why the Catholic Bible has more books, he responded that mine was an “interesting perspective”, but quickly dismissed it with the fact that there’s no evidence that the books were ever accepted as belonging to the Canon, and that there were “Bibles” that didn’t include them. I popped up and went over to the chair where I’d been sitting, grabbed a “New Testament” Bible and asked if this was the Whole Bible. No, of course not, and yet it says “Bible”. I didn’t mention the fact that a hand written bible gets extremely expensive and that not everyone who wanted some scripture could afford the entire thing.

They didn’t stay too long, I think they were shocked to encounter a Catholic who was on-fire for Jesus. I may have overwhelmed them and they may not return, knowing they’ll not make much headway here. :frowning: I want more opportunities to converse with them. Otherwise how can they come to know the fullness of the Truth?

CARose
[/quote]

CARose,

If you really would like to share your faith, mabe you might consider in trying to do what these faithful witnesses do. Take your bible and go door to door. See how long you last.

Eliza aka Karen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.