Wk 2 - Day 2 - "acquiring an understanding of Mary"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Yesterday, I posted part of St. Louis De Montfort’s description of “True Devotion”. Today, I’m posting the last two characteristics “constant” and “disinterested” from Chapter 2:

1. … true devotion to our Lady is constant. It strengthens us in our desire to do good and prevents us from giving up our devotional practices too easily. It gives us the courage to oppose the fashions and maxims of the world, the vexations and unruly inclinations of the flesh and the temptations of the devil. Thus a person truly devoted to our Blessed Lady is not changeable, fretful, scrupulous or timid. We do not say however that such a person never sins or that his sensible feelings of devotion never change. When he has fallen, he stretches out his hand to his Blessed Mother and rises again. If he loses all taste and feeling for devotion, he is not at all upset because a good and faithful servant of Mary is guided in his life by faith in Jesus and Mary, and not by feelings.

2. … true devotion to Mary is disinterested. It inspires us to seek God alone in his Blessed Mother and not ourselves. The true subject of Mary does not serve his illustrious Queen for selfish gain. He does not serve her for temporal or eternal well-being but simply and solely because she has the right to be served and God alone in her. He loves her not so much because she is good to him or because he expects something from her, but simply because she is lovable. That is why he loves and serves her just as faithfully in weariness and dryness of soul as in sweet and sensible fervour. He loves her as much on Calvary as at Cana. How pleasing and precious in the sight of God and his holy Mother must these servants of Mary be, who serve her without any self-seeking. How rare they are nowadays! It is to increase their number that I have taken up my pen to write down what I have been teaching with success both publicly and in private in my missions for many years.

3. I have already said many things about the Blessed Virgin and, as I am trying to fashion a true servant of Mary and a true disciple of Jesus, I have still a great deal to say, although through ignorance, inability, and lack of time, I shall leave infinitely more unsaid.

1. Each day of the second week they should endeavour in all their prayers and works to acquire an understanding of the Blessed Virgin and ask the Holy Spirit for this grace. They may read and meditate upon what we have already said about her. They should recite daily the Litany of the Holy Spirit and the Ave Maris Stella 1 as during the first week. In addition they will say at least five decades of the Rosary for greater understanding of Mary.

Thank you Maria Christi.

A wonderful chaplet to pray.

Dear Katie,

Another beautiful quote to encourage us to obey the words of Jesus as John the Beloved disciple obeyed when Jesus told him from the Cross: “Behold your Mother”! John took Mary into his home and into his heart.

St. Clare of Assisi was poor in spirit, also pure in heart, as Mary our Mother and Model is and so as the Beatitudes promise us:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven…Blessed are the pure of heart for they shall see God” (Mt. 5)

Jesus told us: “Behold your Mother” that we might learn from her example how a human person can become holy as God is Holy; and Merciful as our Father is Merciful and humble as she learned from her Son.

Thanks so much, dear Katie!

Our Fathers’ Plan, Star of the sea, beacon of souls, guiding all to Her Son.

Praise God!

Dear Patrick,

Thanks so much for this reply from your poetic heart!

Yes, Mary is His brightest star, His daughter most like Him Who is love, shining as a beacon, guiding all to Her Son Jesus.

We are called to be like her Who is our Mother and Model – guiding all our brothers and sisters in Christ Home to our Father! .

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.