Woman arrested for spanking child

not her own child, a stranger’s child:

news.aol.com/article/woman-arrested-after-she-allegedly/673642?icid=main|main|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fwoman-arrested-after-she-allegedly%2F673642

BTW this is the second time I heard about strangers hitting other people’s children in about 1 month.

This woman was annoyed that the child said something rude. :shrug:

What the heck was this woman thinking? I’m not sure my first reaction would have been to press charges. I expect I would have had a much more basic instinctive reaction and less than compassionate approach if someone had tried to do that to my kid.

Growing up, they still had corporal punishment in schools, with the parents permission. My mom always said that if we were being that bad at school, they should call her and SHE would deal with it. I suspect her response would have hurt a LOT more than anything the prinicipal’s paddle could have done. :cool:

The child was TWO YEARS OLD!!!

Granted, if I saw a 12-year-old swear at an adult and receive a slap across the face for it, it wouldn’t really bother me. Regardless of the relationship of the adult to the 12-year-old.

But this? A 2-year-old? Because the child said “something that apparently annoyed” the woman?

Whatever her “reason” was, that’s way out of line.

That is funny I was just thinking how my older brother had told one of the teachers that he would rather get the paddle instead of having to face our mom.

Like an above poster - my immediate reaction would not have been ‘kind’ per se if a person did that to my child. When the police arrived because of this reaction THEN I would have pressed charges.

How do you put a two year old over your knee while standing? Spanking a kid while standing even with the kid’s feet no longer on the ground is possible, but over her knee?

What kind of messed up person would be so on edge that a strange two year old would elicit such a reaction? :mad:

It would still bother me quite a bit, and if it was MY KID! Anyone who lays a hand on my kid should not expect to get that hand back in one piece.

I don’t hit my kids, and nobody else better try it either. Hitting a kid teaches him that big people can hit little people. In other circumstances, we call that bullying and even assault. Adults need to be able to control themselves and teach their children respect by respecting them.

I agree. We can rationalize spanking all we want but it is still rational lies. Lies that big people tell little people until little people believe them no matter how big they get. (There’s an insight into how my priest talks - I’m used to it but you may have to re-read that :D).

I think we can all admit that we would want to hit those who hit our children but that we would not actually act on that - it would then be assault after all.

When I was 11 years old I was moving a tractor from one field to another. While driving on the highway a car was stuck behind me unable to pass due to constant oncoming traffic nor was I able to pull off due to lack of a shoulder. After a few minutes he was finally able to get around me and he passed and stomped on the brakes sliding his car to a stop sideways in the road in front of me. I stopped and he jumped up on the step of the tractor and proceeded to scream and curse at me for blocking traffic.

His mistake was failing to notice the tired, dirty sweaty farmer a few cars back that was following me. My dad pulled the guy off the tractor and literally stomped him into the pavement before dragging him off the road and leaving him unconscious in the ditch. Dad then rolled the guy’s car into the ditch beside him and told me to get moving. When we got to the field and he helped me reload the planter the only comment he had was “You don’t need to tell your mom about that”.

SamH

Okay . . . . all Christians living with a good Catholic conscience can agree that we should not hurt others even when we really want to.

So my dad wasn’t a good Catholic for protecting his 11 year old son from a raging motorist?

I thought my dad did the guy a favor. The next time he pulled that stunt the person he was offending might not have been such a charitable Christian. Hopefully after that life lesson there wasn’t a next time.

No your dad wasn’t acting like a good Christian because he beat a man into unconsciousness when it was not necessary. He could have just grabbed the guy off the step and yelled. If the guy threw a punch then your dad could have knocked him around just enough for you and him to get to safety.

BTW I am a martial artist and can take care of myself. I have thought long and hard about when I can ethically use my physical skills to protect myself or others.

That’s one person’s opinion, are you always so quick to judge your fellow Catholics?

The man suffered no permanent injuries (probably) and it hopefully saved him from doing something even more stupid in the future. I’ll bet he never thought about getting out of a car to accost a stranger again without thinking about that day on the side of the road.

That happened 31 years ago and I remember it like yesterday. I also learned a valuable lesson about dealing with people you don’t know that may have spared me a few unnecessary scrapes too.

But are you a father that has witnessed an adult threaten or harm your child?

I gotta say that farm vehicles going a snail’s pace on roads are really annoying and potentially dangerous.

But in Kansas farm vehicles have the right of way. It’s like screaming at a predestrian in a cross walk because you don’t want to wait.

I’ll admit it annoys me too, but for some reason I’ve never felt the urge to go after someone that was driving a tractor. Aren’t childhood memories grand? :thumbsup:

I think the woman just lost it.

What did the child say? I think I can guess. Now I wouldn’t touch anyone’s child but I do get annoyed when small children talk like that. They probably think it is cute because they hear the older kids say it but it is not and small kids often think it is normal language and by the time they are 11, it is normal language unfortunately.

Truthfully, most 2 year olds don’t speak clearly enough for a stranger to understand them. Also, 2 year olds have poor impulse control. Even if it was a rude word, the baby might have not known what it meant.

I’ve been blessed with an early talker. She enjoyed pointing out differences in people while we were out “Look mommy, that person is… or that person has…” never in malice but in complete honesty that children have. And many times me telling her, “Yes, I’m sure the person knows she is… or has…It isn’t polite to point at people.”

Now, if someone ever reacted to MY child for doing that by spanking her…I’m sure I would not have been charitable at all.

If at 11 years old, your father thought you were old enough to drive on the highway, wouldn’t he think you were old enough to handle yourself?

And since you have no idea how the man your father knocked out is doing now, I wouldn’t boast about the assault. It could be that his family is on this forum and would love to find the person that put him the coma he has been in for the past 31 years. :shrug:

I would love to him now.

originally posted by maryjk
Truthfully, most 2 year olds don’t speak clearly enough for a stranger to understand them. Also, 2 year olds have poor impulse control. Even if it was a rude word, the baby might have not known what it meant.

I’ve been blessed with an early talker. She enjoyed pointing out differences in people while we were out “Look mommy, that person is… or that person has…” never in malice but in complete honesty that children have. And many times me telling her, “Yes, I’m sure the person knows she is… or has…It isn’t polite to point at people.”

Now, if someone ever reacted to MY child for doing that by spanking her…I’m sure I would not have been charitable at all.

Some two year old speak clearly enough and often they are just repeating a bad word they heard from an older sibling or person. There is a lot of potty mouth going around and kids just pick it up. Do they understand it? Of course not but some parents have no problem with them using these really bad words. They probably think they will grow out of it or just don’t view it as a problem. No matter what age, I just try not to pay attention.

If a two year old pointed and said something like " Look Mommy that person is …" to me, I’d have no problem with it and probably think it is funny because kids tend to more honest than adults who may be thinking the same thing.

Again I would not touch another person’s child.

I went to the library to use their computers and said something to two young teens who were in a small group. While the boy used the computer, the girl sat on his lap, kissing, her hands rubbing his legs sitting right next to me and there were other people at the computer stations which are in the back of library. I tried to be patience but they just kept it up. I guess they figured it was OK.

I was very uncomfortable and finally said something like "Would you please stop it as you are distracting me as I’m trying to use the computer.

The girl moved back to her own chair and he proceeded with the computer so I think that shows that they were good kids and would at least not retaliate. Maybe I was wrong and should have gone to the librarian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.