Woman at the well

Was the woman at the well who had had 5 husbands a follower of Jesus? Do we know her name?

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:337809"]
Was the woman at the well who had had 5 husbands a follower of Jesus? Do we know her name?

[/quote]

Eastern Orthodox belief gave the woman the name Photina. Stories were circulated about her eventually becoming a Christian, preaching, and dying a martyr (you know, the standard formula).

[quote="patrick457, post:2, topic:337809"]
Eastern Orthodox belief gave the woman the name Photina. Stories were circulated about her eventually becoming a Christian, preaching, and dying a martyr (you know, the standard formula).

[/quote]

Wow now that's detailed. Is she a saint to the Roman Church though?

[quote="billcu1, post:3, topic:337809"]
Wow now that's detailed. Is she a saint to the Roman Church though?

[/quote]

The old Roman Martyrology does mention Photina and her companions at March 20th, but the only information given about her in the text is that she is "a Samaritan" - with no explicit mention of her being the Samaritan woman. Cardinal Baronius added them to the Martyrology (the story of Photina was originally not widely known in the West) perhaps owing to the widely held view that her head was actually in St. Paul Outside-the-Walls.

The same day, the Saints Photina, a Samaritan, and her sons Joseph and Victor; also, Sebastian, military officer, Anatolius, and Photius; Photides, Parasceves and Cyriaca, sisters, who were all martyred for confessing Christ.

I don't think she is in the 2004 Martyrology though, but I'm not sure.

Photina must have a derivative of fountain, huh?

[quote="rcwitness, post:5, topic:337809"]
Photina must have a derivative of fountain, huh?

[/quote]

Phōtinē comes from Greek phōs 'light'. Her name in Slavic traditions (Svetlana) means the same thing (svet = light).

From the prophetic visions of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich:

Dina, the Samaritan woman, was the same who conversed with Jesus by Jacob's well. She was born near Damascus, of parents who were half Jewish and half Pagan. They died while she was yet very young, and she being brought up by a woman of bad character, the seeds of the most evil passions were early sown in her heart. She had had several husbands, who supplanted one another in turn, and the last lived at Sichar, whither she had followed him and changed her name from Dina to Salome. She had three grown-up daughters and two sons, who afterwards joined the disciples. Sister Emmerich used to say that the life of this Samaritan woman was prophetic--that Jesus had spoken to the entire sect of Samaritans in her person, and that they were attached to their errors by as many ties as she had committed adulteries.

When I read this, I was glad to see that she became a follower of Jesus.

Got it:thumbsup:

[quote="bsroufek, post:7, topic:337809"]

[/quote]

So was her name photine or Diana?

[quote="billcu1, post:9, topic:337809"]
So was her name photine or Diana?

[/quote]

That's kind of like asking whether the good thief's name is Dismas or Titus or Jonathas or Zoatham or whatever. ;)

[quote="bsroufek, post:7, topic:337809"]

[/quote]

Just because you read that does not make it true. That's a private revelation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.