Woman Claims Religious Freedom to Wear Colander on Her Head in Driver’s License Picture

This week an Oklahoma woman, who is a Pastafarian, a devotee of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, claimed a pasta colander as her religious headwear to wear in her official driver’s license picture, Oklahoma’s KTLA-TV reports.

hypervocal.com/news/2014/religious-freedom-colander/

Ah, mockery. It is surprising that it is allowed as a religious item since Pastafarian is an atheistic mockery of faith and not actually a religion. Oh, well. Now she can show her friends how edgy she is.

This really makes me mad, upset, nervous, etc.

How can a woman who claims to be an atheist claim to wear a pasta colander as religious freedom?!?!?! An atheist has no religion, therefore cannot claim religious freedom.

When will liberal judges realize that our society only works (as George Washington said) when morality influences our laws and when religion influences our morality!?!?!?

There is a reason why law firms have one or more copies of the Bible in their libraries. Our legal system is based on Judaeo/Christian values and morality.

If this keeps up, our society will fall like the Roman Empire did.

Even some educated atheists understand that religion plays a major role in shaping society. These pastafarians are pure anarchists and know not want they ask for.

They even have one person sworn into public office (town hall) wearing a colander!!!

God help us.

:rotfl:

And when I had my picture taken, I couldn’t even wear a headband!

So do the pastafarians worship at the local Driver’s License office, and that’s why she had to wear her religious headgear?

I hope she doesn’t every get pulled over or have to show her license to a prospective employer.

Actually, I kind of hope she has to, so that her asinine actions can reflect poorly on her to potential employers. Then we’ll see how edgy & brave she feels.

It is ridiculous that these people can even claim that Pastafarianism is a religion. It is not a religion. It is nothing more than a mockery of religion. Therefore, a person cannot claim religious freedom for such a stupid thing.

totally counters her assertion.

I see no reason why someone has to belong to a recognized religion in order to have sincerely held religious beliefs.

In addition, since there are, in fact, Buddhists who are atheists, it would seem that someone doesn’t even have to believe in a god or gods to be a member of a religion.

I see no reason why someone has to belong to a recognized religion in order to have sincerely held religious beliefs. And as the SCOTUS just recently ruled, religious beliefs don’t even have to be true to be protected – they just have to be sincerely held.

In addition, since there are, in fact, Buddhists who are atheists, it would seem that someone doesn’t even have to believe in a god or gods to be a member of a religion.

:rotfl::rotfl:

At least she was wearing a metal colander…plastic would have.been too casual :nope:

I understand that the Supreme Court ruled that way and that therefore, there is a right to religious freedom even for those who practice a fake religion but nevertheless, I still find it to be almost an abuse of religious freedom for things like this to occur.

I think she’s disturbed and needs therapy

I’ve read countless posts by people here who claim that atheism is in fact a religion.

Its interesting that the only time I’ve read people on this board vocally disagree with that is when atheists themselves start saying it.

:shrug:

Why be mad? This isn’t hurting anyone- I kind of like it. Driving is a privilege and not a right, so I find it interesting when someone inserts a religious rights argument regarding what to wear in a driver’s license picture.

If one purpose is to be a picture ID, then I would say the requirement to have a verifiable likeness would over-ride religious liberty concerns. If you don’t want to comply with providing a verifiable likeness (this is for more than the police, realize bars/stores check IDs when selling alcohol) than don’t get a license. You don’t have to drive, take a bus. You don’t have to buy alcohol etc. So, in my mind this is no different than someone claming the right to wear a veil, or head covering which obscures the face. I don’t care if she has a collander on her head (or any other headgear, folks can change hairstyles)-- as long as the face is clear.

So, I have far less objection to wearing a collander than wearing garments which obscure the face no matter how widely recognized the religion or how sincere the belief.

By itself, it seems innocent. But it also underscores a sentiment of spiteful mockery of religion.

It is as if they’re saying religious customs are as non-sensical as wearing a kitchen item.

I think she should be allowed to wear the Colander just as if she applied for a job at my company she would politely be shown the door when presenting her picture ID

Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even if that opinion is wrong. Free speech applies to all speech, even mockery. I guess it goes back to the old phrase, "consider the source’.

This stuff just doesn’t get to me. Folks can try and provoke me, doesn’t mean I’ll get sucked in.

I agree.:thumbsup:

That was my 1st thought – does she realise how often she’ll have to show ID? And how soon the joke will go stale? She might as well change her name to Ima Jerk.
I hope the state doesn’t change the rules on religious headwear because of this woman.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.