Woman Refuses to Abort Twins With Two Heads, One Body

I do not envy this couple the path their feet are on, but I agree with them that it is a path they must walk to the end that God has chosen for them and these children…

A British woman has found out she is pregnant with dicephalous twins who share one body but have two heads, and she plans on continuing with the pregnancy, the Evening Standard reported.

Nine weeks into her pregnancy, doctors discovered Lisa Chamberlain of Portsmouth, England, was pregnant with the twins after she complained of back pain and underwent testing.

After doctors performed an ultrasound and could find just one heartbeat, they told Chamberlain, 25, she should consider an abortion as the babies only had a 20 percent chance of surviving.

Chamberlain, who was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries at the age of 18, a condition that can cause fertility problems, said her twins were a “gift from God.”

“Some might think my twins are strange, but to me they’re just special,” Chamberlain told the newspaper. “Everything happens for a reason. Mike and I have spent over seven years trying to have children and we might not get another go.”

Chamberlain and her fiancé, Mike Pedace, 32, hope the twins can lead full lives like Abigail and Brittany Hensel, 18-year-old dicephalous twins from Minnesota. The Hensels have two spines and two heads, but one body.

The twins will likely be born at London’s University College Hospital where conjoined twins Hope and Faith Williams were born last month. The Williams twins died after a complicated surgery to separate them.

If Chamberlain’s babies survive the pregnancy, they will be Britain’s only living dicephalous twins. She will have to wait until she is 20 weeks pregnant to find out how many organs the twins share.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479257,00.html

Another similar, related article: thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23617259-details/Woman+is+expecting+twins+with+one+body/article.do

Some of the comments from the second article are completely backward from a Catholic perspective. An example:

*“Sounds like the height of selfishness, putting their own desire for children before the quality of life of the children.”

• Sarah Bradshaw, Enfield, Middx*

:thumbsup: Good for her, not killing them. Twins who share a body have lived very fulfilled lives before. Not ideal, but still worth living.

I don’t really know what to say about this one…

Either way, let’s all hope that the twins can lead normal lives.

Wait, are there two consciousnesses? (sp)

By the same logic, maybe we should encourage third world mothers to abort their pregnancies. After all, if you live in a country where disease, war, and poverty run rampant, your quality of life is probably a lot worse than conjoined twins in a developed nation. What ignorant and heartless hogwash. As anyone who has seen one of the TV programs on the Hensel twins knows, conjoined twins can lead fulfilling lives. Selfishness is murdering your children.

“Some might think my twins are strange, but to me they’re just special,” Chamberlain told the newspaper. “Everything happens for a reason. Mike and I have spent over seven years trying to have children and we might not get another go.”

Maybe God was sending very subtle hints of “don’t!” & “stop trying!” ?

If Chamberlain’s babies survive the pregnancy, they will be Britain’s only living dicephalous twins.

Oh, that cleared a lot up.

By the same logic, maybe we should encourage third world mothers to abort their pregnancies

Or maybe we should promote abstinence & protection so they wouldn’t have babies that would “need” abortion in the 1st place.

If the British twins survive, they can lead full and happy lives as do the Hensel twins, who are two separate people (identical twins) who happen to share a body. Actually, they each have one arm and one leg controlled by their individual brains, and some duplicate internal organs (see…).

Doctors are amazed at the Hensel twins’ perfect coordination of their individual limbs which allow them to perform not only all normal tasks of daily life, but even to type and play the piano. On their 16th BD, they passed their drivers’ tests! (See the 2006 UK’s Daily Mail article, or a more recent article from a Minnesota newspaper.)

Let us all pray for the future of the British twins and for their family, and for the Lord to guide the hands of the doctors.

I’m thinking the perfect name for this baby is Zaphod Beebelebrox!

Regarding the first quote… Uhhh, wasn’t it God who gave life to these twins in the first place?

Regarding the second quote… What part of this sentence don’t you understand? :confused:

[FONT=“Arial”]If Chamberlain’s…the mom’s
babies…the unborn twins
survive the pregnancy…live, i.e. don’t die before their birth
they…the twins
will be…are not now, but will be after their birth
Britain’s…island in the Atlantic Ocean off the northwestern coast of Europe, including England, Scotland, and Wales
only living…the only dicephalous twins in Britain to have survived
dicephalous…having two heads
twins…I think we all know what the word “twins” means.
[/FONT]

“Protection”? Protection as in birth control? Since when does the Church advocate birth control?

So if they die, then it will be God who took them away?
God’s an abortionist? Nice :shrug:
Maybe it’s his message of “ever tried adoption?”

Regarding the second quote… What part of this sentence don’t you understand? :confused:

Huh? Why did you post that? I understood it perfectly, I was implying that might be part of a reason why one would be very eager to keep the kids.

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]“Protection”? Protection as in birth control? Since when does the Church advocate birth control?
When did I say that the Church should be advocating it?
Though in many cases that would that would make no need for the “option” of abortion.

The only moral issue, for me, really, is that she and her fiance were actively trying to have children out of wedlock. :confused: Good for her not choosing abortion, but I can’t fathom NOT being married and trying to get pregnant for seven years.

God is the author of life and therefore can do what ever he wishes with his creatures. And I have noticed that you keep lumping abortion and miscarriage all together. Soooo…

Abortion = the dilibrate dismemberment of another human ie a child who cannot find for himself

miscarriage = the natural death of a child.

Not the same and very offensive to those of us who have lost children due to natural causes.

No I am not lumping them together. But what you’re doing is attributing pregnancy (good) to God, while if a miscarriage (bad) happens it wouldn’t be God.
Well, actually according to your post you didn’t; however, you did agree that it is ok for God to take life, so it’s alright for him to abort it (since he is taking it away). Miscarriage is spontaneous abortion. But if God intervened it is not spontaneous.
If he does not intervene & the children die anyway, didn;t his “gift” fail in the first place?

Abortion = the dilibrate dismemberment of another human ie a child who cannot find for himself

miscarriage = the natural death of a child.

Nope.

A miscarriage is a spontaneous abortion.
An abortion, in terms you are speaking, is induced abortion.

The only moral issue, for me, really, is that she and her fiance were actively trying to have children out of wedlock.

They weren’t? :confused:

This family needs our prayers, not criticisms or condemnations. They face a difficult battle just in carrying these babies to full term if at all. One day at a time and let us pray for God’s will to be done. So far, I think this mother is trying to discern that and doesn’t need the pressure of anyone telling her to end her children’s lives.

Only to those who cannot see. The gift of my children was not a failure, not in the least. And only someone who can decide who is worth calling a human can see it as such.:mad:

You did not answer the question, nor did you understand what I wrote.

I’ll try it step by step, to make sure we’re on the same track:

If the the women does not have an induced abortion & continues to care the children, but they die anyway, is that God killing them & taking them away?

Some definitions:

An abortion is the termination of a pregnancy by the removal or expulsion of an embryo or fetus from the uterus, resulting in or caused by its death.

Induced abortion is a term used for a certain type of murder. Murder is when a human being takes the life of an innocent human being. God doesn’t enter into the definition at all.

Spontanious abortion, natural miscarriage, is when the baby dies via natural causes. The term miscarriage is not normally used to describe abortions caused by human beings. It is not an induced abortion and so it is not murder.

Abortion as a term most commonly refers to the induced abortion of a human pregnancy, while spontaneous abortions are usually termed miscarriages.

But according to the woman, & some of the posters above, God intervened with the miracle of: her finally being able to conceive.

So once again we are back to:
If she conceives it’s God. If it’s miscarriage - He had nothing to do with it.

WHY ALLOW HER TO CONCEIVE (by intervening)** IF YOU WILL ALLOW THOSE CHILDREN TO DIE **(they are not dead yet, this is only a hypothetical situation, which I hope I do not forget to keep track of as her pregnancy progresses) ANYWAY?

According to her, he intervened in the 1st place, but (if she for instance loses the children due to miscarriage) did not in the second?

What is the point of a gift which you show to a person, then throw it out in the river without it even being passed to that person?

That is quite possible. God’s intervention in a natural process is called a miracle.

So once again we are back to:
If she conceives it’s God. If it’s miscarriage - He had nothing to do with it.
WHY ALLOW HER TO CONCEIVE (by intervening) IF YOU WILL ALLOW THOSE CHILDREN TO DIE (they are not dead yet, this is only a hypothetical situation, which I hope I do not forget to keep track of as her pregnancy progresses) ANYWAY?

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? :rolleyes:

I have no idea if her conception has anything to do with God’s intervention or not. But it is possible, none of us would know for sure.

If people kill a child, they are committing murder. Children are innocent and deserve a chance at life. A parent’s duty is to do all they can to keep their children safe and alive (that duty comes with parenthood). In this case the mom needs to figure out how best to do that.

What is the point of a gift which you show to a person, then throw it out in the river without it even being passed to that person?

Your not trying to figure out God are you? By definition, you never will succeed in that. We don’t know why an infant dies, maybe to teach the parents something, maybe not. Maybe God wants to bring that soul into heaven at an early age for some reason. Remember, souls live in heaven for eternity (that is a lot longer than they live on earth) and heaven is a much better place than earth.

I noticed that too and agree. I also wonder what means they used to achieve the pregnancy, though it is not my place to judge and they, like all of us, will answer to God for what they’ve done and what they’ve failed to do. Since I am not really familiar with infertility issues, I’m not sure what the options might be, though I know they are more limited for Catholics. However, she is pregnant now and since that is a done deal, the couple has no other moral option but to continue on the path they are on now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.