Woman says Practitioner Held Hand Over Her Mouth as He Forced Abortion

Woman says Practitioner Held Hand Over Her Mouth as He Forced Abortion

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
June 4, 2010

Email RSS Print

Flint, MI (LifeNews.com) -- A Michigan woman who says she was victimized by a forced abortion is speaking out more about her ordeal and offering a more graphic, detailed explanation. She says she had a hand forced over her mouth as she was held down and an abortion done on her as she tried to hold her legs together.

Caitlin Bruce is 20 and she has filed a lawsuit against abortion practitioner Alberto Hodari, who has a long history of killing and injuring patients and also faces other forced abortion accusations.

Bruce had the abortion in April 2008 at Hodari's Feminine Health Care Clinic in Flint, Michigan. But she told ABC News she changed her mind at the very last second but was pinned down and had her mouth closed as she tried to protest.

A high school dropout trying to make a life for herself, Bruce is the classic case of a minority girl impregnated by a much-older boyfriend -- and her father persuaded her to have the abortion.

"I was really confused, asking everybody else what I should do. Everybody told me, 'You were too young,'" she told ABC. "What I really wanted to hear was, 'We'll help you out.'"

On the table for the abortion, Bruce felt the first instrument go inside her and she asked Hodari to stop, but he and his assistants held her down.

"He had a real tight grip over my mouth, but I was screaming .. and trying to pull my legs together," she said.

She said Hodari appeared to give up and told her she could go home and as soon as she relaxed, Bruce tells ABC News Hodari completed the abortion.

lifenews.com/state5157.html

:eek:

If her account is accurate, what the doctor did was incredibly horrific. Under Michigan law he committed manslaughter, as well as assault.

But if what she says is accurate, why didn't she file criminal charges against the doctor?

She never sought criminal charges because was young and she knew it wouldn’t bring her baby back, she said.

mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/11/abraham_hodari_caitlin_bruce_p.html

In Michigan, is it too late to file charges against the doctor?

Here is the doctor's side of the story:

But Weiss told ABCNews.com a different version of the abortion. He said that by the time Bruce changed her mind, the procedure was already at the point where the pregnancy was doomed. He had broken her water and Bruce was bleeding.

"By the time she said stop, Dr. Hodari had already placed the dilator into her uterus," Weiss said. "By that time the pregnancy had been terminated. He had to continue the abortion."

Though Hodari did remove the dilator at Bruce's request, Weiss said, her health would have been in jeopardy if he didn't finish.

abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/michigan-woman-claims-doctor-forced-abortion-stop/story?id=10809114&page=2

The woman's lawyer says the water was not broken when she told the doctor to stop.

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:200943"]
:eek:

If her account is accurate, what the doctor did was incredibly horrific. Under Michigan law he committed manslaughter, as well as assault.

But if what she says is accurate, why didn't she file criminal charges against the doctor?

mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/11/abraham_hodari_caitlin_bruce_p.html

In Michigan, is it too late to file charges against the doctor?

Here is the doctor's side of the story:

abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/michigan-woman-claims-doctor-forced-abortion-stop/story?id=10809114&page=2

The woman's lawyer says the water was not broken when she told the doctor to stop.

[/quote]

I completely agree that she should press charges if what's she's saying is true. If he really did violate her rights, this account is horrifiying.

But the thing is, by her own admission, she said she told him to stop after she felt the instrument inside her. It very well may have been too late. If that's the case, it seems to me as if she is trying to blame him after she changed her mind.

Only those in the room know what really happened. I would think that if she had the guts to come forward and make this situation public, that she would continue and take him to court. If not to punish him for the alleged wrong he did to her, then to prevent him from doing it to someone else.

Such a tragedy all the way around.

Outrageous. Abortions are traumatizing enough when the woman consents, let alone when it is forced.
The ABC article prints his first name as Abraham, and the lifenews article prints it as Alberto. I wonder how many accusations and lawsuits have to pile up before the Michigan Medical Board . I have just pulled up the license of an A. Alberto Hodari on their website, and it states that it is still ACTIVE, with a fine imposed in 2009.

California's medical board has a notorious reputation for not disciplining doctors who have clear cut cases of negligence, some including death.

It sounds like this is a nation wide issue, as I know of another doctor in a third state who bounced between states as his license was revoked in one, and suspended in the other.

This story is outlandish. I don't believe a word of it...not a word.

[quote="Zatzat, post:5, topic:200943"]
This story is outlandish. I don't believe a word of it...not a word.

[/quote]

Then you don't know enough about Hodari. He is a butcher, and we have had problems with him here in Michigan for years.

Google him - both web and news searches - you will find that this is entirely believable once you get to "know" him.

I have personally prayed in front of one of his butcher centers where the parts of dead children were found in the dumpster. He needs to be put away for the rest of his life.

EDIT:
Here - I'll get you started:

realchoice.0catch.com/library/weekly/aa051706d.htm

voicesforwomen.org/Hodari.html

lifenews.com/state4790.html

jillstanek.com/hodari/

prolifesociety.com/pages/start/startup/home.aspx <<--Dr. Monica Miller, who found the dead babies in the trash.

clinicquotes.com/site/story.php?id=164

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:6, topic:200943"]
Then you don't know enough about Hodari. He is a butcher, and we have had problems with him here in Michigan for years.

Google him - both web and news searches - you will find that this is entirely believable once you get to "know" him.

I have personally prayed in front of one of his butcher centers where the parts of dead children were found in the dumpster. He needs to be put away for the rest of his life.

~Liza

[/quote]

How does one perform an abortion whilst holding a free hand over the mouth of a hysterically struggling woman? We're also to believe this doctors assistance all took part in restraining her...so desperate they were in completing an abortion.????!!!

Where is the lawsuit...where are the police...where is the prosecutor....????

I don't believe a word...not a word.

[quote="Zatzat, post:7, topic:200943"]

[/quote]

Who knows? Some doctors have a rather large ego and some people lie for money. There could not be a criminal suit from this as there simply is not evidence. I do not see how even a civil suit will work in light of the lack of any physical evidence. If she would have gone straight to the police, that might have been different and I am sure a defense attorney would use this to the doctor's advantage.

[quote="Zatzat, post:7, topic:200943"]
How does one perform an abortion whilst holding a free hand over the mouth of a hysterically struggling woman? We're also to believe this doctors assistance all took part in restraining her...so desperate they were in completing an abortion.????!!!

Where is the lawsuit...where are the police...where is the prosecutor....????

[/quote]

I find it unbelievible that one would take the side of a known murder rather than one that has not given you cause to wonder.

Do I know if this is true? No, but this sounds so much like when date rape was first coming out in the open. I remember when it was once believed that a woman could not possible be raped by spouse/boyfriend. And the side of the rapist was taken because "the woman" was only trying to get attention.

What kind of attention is the woman trying to gain? Her child was killed. Everyone let her down. She is now trying to let people know what happened. This needs to be told. I know of a woman (actually a girl at the time) who had a forced abortion. Did they tie her down on the table like the woman in this story? No, but she was forced into on the less. She was physically, emotionally and spiritually broken for years and still is. This is not something that only happens in China, it happens here and we as society look the other way.

I am not sure if this woman is lying. But with the evidence we have, we know that Dr. Hodari, is a known murder. Lets start there.

The law suit mentions a requested figure of two million dollars.

[quote="pnewton, post:10, topic:200943"]
The law suit mentions a requested figure of two million dollars.

[/quote]

How much is a child worth?

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:11, topic:200943"]
How much is a child worth?

~Liza

[/quote]

That was not the question I was answering and is not relevant to the question that was asked. The question was, "What kind of attention is the woman trying to gain?" Money is a motivator for many people. The idea that justice alone drives all litigation is naive. Not only do some people seek the big score through the legal system, more innocent types can be used by lawyers who seek the big payout. That is why we have the phrase "ambulance chaser."

As I said earlier, it is also a possibility that the doctor's ego made him think so little of the patients wishes that he did commit this crime. In any case, I do not know how there can be any evidence on which to base a suit.

[quote="pnewton, post:12, topic:200943"]
That was not the question I was answering and is not relevant to the question that was asked. The question was, "What kind of attention is the woman trying to gain?" Money is a motivator for many people. The idea that justice alone drives all litigation is naive.

[/quote]

But my comment still stands. Would anyone have a problem if she asked for $80Million? $300Million? Or maybe $2,000?

She had her child ripped out of her body when she said stop. She said she started to tell him stop when he inserted the speculum. He could not have possibly been so far into the abortion procedure at the point of only inserting the device for the first time that he could not stop.

So - what other means of "attention" does she have? She can only sue for money - she can't sue for another baby.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:13, topic:200943"]
So - what other means of "attention" does she have? She can only sue for money - she can't sue for another baby.

~Liza

[/quote]

None, if she is telling the truth. If. In which case it is indeed regretable that she initially agreed and then did not immediately report it to the police where signs of bruising or force might be documented.

Zatzat may not be "taking the side of a known murderer." Critical thinking is not necessarily taking sides.

[quote="pnewton, post:14, topic:200943"]
Critical thinking is not necessarily taking sides.

[/quote]

HAHA! Since when is "I don't believe a word...not a word." - critical thinking!!?? :hmmm:

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:15, topic:200943"]
HAHA! Since when is "I don't believe a word...not a word." - critical thinking!!?? :hmmm:

~Liza

[/quote]

You have a point and I think you are right. However, I would like to point out that dismissing the possibility that she is not truthful is also jumping to conslusions.

[quote="pnewton, post:16, topic:200943"]
You have a point and I think you are right. However, I would like to point out that dismissing the possibility that she is not truthful is also jumping to conslusions.

[/quote]

But you have to remember that there is a track record for Hodari - it is well known that he is a monster. Check the links I posted above. I think that I have a much better chance of believing her story than his when it comes to something like this. So if you want to think critically, consider what we know about the people involved - she is a young girl, not known to have gone around scamming for money (surely ABC would have investigated her to get the scoop if there was one), he on the other hand has a library of offenses.

If it walks like a duck.... :shrug:

~Liza

[quote="st_lucy, post:9, topic:200943"]
I find it unbelievible that one would take the side of a known murder rather than one that has not given you cause to wonder

[/quote]

Please cite your source that indicates that he's been convicted of murder in a court of law. If you can't, please retract your factual claim.

Do I know if this is true? No, but this sounds so much like when date rape was first coming out in the open. I remember when it was once believed that a woman could not possible be raped by spouse/boyfriend. And the side of the rapist was taken because "the woman" was only trying to get attention.

Perhaps a full scale investigation would be in order, rather than everyone immediately assuming the outlandish claims are valid.

What kind of attention is the woman trying to gain?

I'v no idea.

I am not sure if this woman is lying. But with the evidence we have, we know that Dr. Hodari, is a known murder.

Has this man been convicted of murder in court? If yes, produce the evidence. If not, be careful making such defamatory and spurious remarks.

Two sides to every story.

But Weiss told ABCNews.com a different version of the abortion. He said that by the time Bruce changed her mind, the procedure was already at the point where the pregnancy was doomed. He had broken her water and Bruce was bleeding.

"By the time she said stop, Dr. Hodari had already placed the dilator into her uterus," Weiss said. "By that time the pregnancy had been terminated. He had to continue the abortion."

Though Hodari did remove the dilator at Bruce's request, Weiss said, her health would have been in jeopardy if he didn't finish.

Weiss pointed to Bruce's own expert witness who Weiss claimed agreed that the doctor should have finished the abortion once the pregnancy was no longer viable.

"From that point on her own expert witness has said Dr. Hodari acted within reason," he said.

abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/michigan-woman-claims-doctor-forced-abortion-stop/story?id=10809114

[quote="Zatzat, post:18, topic:200943"]
Please cite your source that indicates that he's been convicted of murder in a court of law. If you can't, please retract your factual claim.

Is he not an abortionist? :shrug:

Perhaps a full scale investigation would be in order, rather than everyone immediately assuming the outlandish claims are valid.

I'v no idea.

Has this man been convicted of murder in court? If yes, produce the evidence. If not, be careful making such defamatory and spurious remarks.

[/quote]

Anyone who can rip a child limb by limb for a living is a murderer by hire. Plain and simple. How can you not see that simple fact.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.