Woman to give birth to own granddaughter in US

Los Angeles (AFP) - A 58-year-old Utah woman is expecting a baby she is carrying for her daughter, with plans to give birth to her own granddaughter, reports said Friday.

Julia Navarro, a Peruvian who lives in the western US state, agreed to be implanted with one of her daughter Lorena McKinnon’s fertilized eggs after the 32-year-old had a string of miscarriages.

“As a family, we have to help each other,” Navarro, who is expecting to give birth the baby in early February, told The Salt Lake Tribune newspaper.

Navarro, a nurse’s aide, had to undergo tests to ensure she was physically fit to give birth. She had been menopausal for about 12 years but gave herself hormone shots every day for three months to prepare for being implanted.

She and her daughter also had to sign contracts about parental rights and take three months of state-ordered counseling.

“The psychologists wanted to make sure we knew what we were getting into – that we were mentally prepared,” said McKinnon. "Mostly, surrogacy contracts are with people you don’t know.

“It was weird to have a contract with my mom.”

Doctors gave her only a 45 percent chance of an egg being successfully implanted. But it worked the first time, and the pregnancy has gone smoothly, with no morning sickness, cravings or discomfort.

More:

news.yahoo.com/woman-birth-own-granddaughter-us-002707934.html

:frowning: :signofcross: :crossrc:

The problem with this is it makes children a commodity instead of seeing children as a gift from God.

All babies are a blessing from god and the baby is innocent in all this…but this is just weird and wrong…and its also sinful…if god wanted the lady to conceive he would let her conceive…

Are you suggesting that the mother and father don’t view their child as a gift from God?

God help us. :signofcross::gopray2:

God bless this family for such love and sacrifice. You can see a photo of the two mothers, with the older one very much pregnant, at this link:
sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57358910-78/mckinnon-navarro-says-daughter.html.csp

The original plan was to use a friend of McKinnon as a surrogate, back that woman backed out. Then McKinnon’s sister gave the idea consideration, but decided she couldn’t go through with it. So McKinnon’s mother volunteered. The family members are within weeks of getting their new addition, whom they plan to name Myla Juliette McKinnon.

Gifts are freely given, not demanded.

I’m My Own Grandpa

/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

Saw the headline and the first thing that went through my mind was a Ray Stevens song…

Demanded???

I would say truly wanted, and one who will be truly loved.

All children are gifts from God, no matter HOW then get here. Obviously this child is very much wanted.

This is going to be a major strain on a 58 year old woman.

Such a relationship of domination is in itself contrary to the dignity and equality that must be common to parents and children. Under the moral aspect procreation is deprived of its proper perfection when it is not willed as the fruit of the conjugal act, that is to say, of the specific act of the spouses’ union.

• CCC

What is artificial means of conception other than a demand for a child?

I would say truly wanted, and one who will be truly loved.

Want is irrelevant. I don’t want socks for Christmas, but they are gifts nonetheless. I want an new car, but if I whine and beg and browbeat my wife until I get it, despite really loving it, doesn’t make it a gift.

Using that same logic, though…you could say that if God wanted the mother to successfully be implanted with her daughter’s egg, he would allow for this technology, and let her be successfully implanted with her daughter’s egg…

When children make “christmas lists” to “Santa” of presents they’d like…are those demands, then, and not gifts?

You’ll note that indicated more than a simple request. Whining, begging, and throwing tantrums to get presents they want make it a demand.

When people say things like “If God wanted it” or “God let it happen so that means he wanted it”, they are gravely mistaken. God lets things happen here on Earth because he gives us free will due to his immense love for us, not because he wants things to happen. God ultimately wants us all to do his will, but he lets things contrary to his will happen because we as humans have the gift of Free Will from god. Because if God forced us to do his will, we wouldn’t love him freely, we would just be his slaves.

“No longer slaves, I call you friends.”

This talk of “This baby is being born so that means God wanted it to be born” is nonsense. By that same logic, Hitler started the Holocaust so that means God wanted it to happen? Incorrect.

Being proactive instead of reactive.

Want is irrelevant??? I would suggest that many of the worlds problems would be solved if all children were ‘wanted’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.