Woman Violently Abducted Off Philadelphia Street Found Alive, "Vicious Predator" Arrested

Last weekend 22-year-old Carlesha Freeland-Gaither was abducted off a Philadelphia street, her abduction caught on camera. Wednesday night she was found in Maryland being held by the man who abducted her.

Delvin Barnes, the man who abducted Freeland-Gaither, has a history of violence against women. He recently was released from prison after being convicted for a 2005 assault on his estranged wife, during which he held her captive, beat her, raped her, and attacked her parents when they tried to rescue her.

After getting out of prison, Barnes abducted, raped, and tortured a 16-year-old girl. DNA matched him to the crime, and a warrant was issued for his arrest on October 28. Presumably, he will now be charged with that assault as well as the assault on Freeland-Gaither.

Police were able to track Barnes’ automobile, in which he abducted and held Freeland-Gaither, using “a GPS device placed inside the vehicle by the car dealership where it was purchased…because Barnes had poor credit.”

It’s interesting that the law allows for a GPS installation because someone has bad credit, but would not allow the same for someone with a history of abducting and torturing people.

I hope all of Barnes’ victims have all the support and access to the care they need to be able to process what was done to them.

I am glad she was found safe. I hope this time he stays in prison…no parole!

It’s interesting that the law allows for a GPS installation because someone has bad credit, but would not allow the same for someone with a history of abducting and torturing people<<

In the case of bad credit, the subject consents to it as a condition of obtaining the vehicle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.