Woman who sought assisted suicide dies in Missoula

KPAX:

Woman who sought assisted suicide dies in Missoula

*Associated Press - June 16, 2009 7:44 PM ET *
HELENA, Mont. (AP) - A Missoula woman, unable to find a physician willing to prescribe drugs that would hasten her death, has died of ovarian cancer.

Janet Murdock died Sunday at age 67. Her death was announced Tuesday by the Denver-based patients’ rights group Compassion & Choices. The group was a plaintiff in a lawsuit that led to a judge’s ruling that physician-assisted suicide is a right protected under the Montana Constitution.

The state is appealing District Judge Dorothy McCarter’s ruling to the Montana Supreme court.

McCarter refused to issue a stay pending appeal, and Montana doctors can legally prescribe drugs to end the lives of terminally ill patients. But patients seeking assistance to die have complained they cannot find physicians willing to help them.

Well, let’s hear it for Montana doctors :thumbsup:

Why don’t we feel sad that someone has died instead?

My mother died of ovarian cancer earlier this year and I can tell you by observation that it is an excruciating way to die. Brutal. I can see why someone might be tempted to try it if they were told how they would likely die. It still doesn’t mean a doctor should give a patient drugs to end life early.

May she rest in peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.