Woman who threatened protester cancels abortion

Mechelle Hall dabbed tears from her eyes Tuesday as she pleaded guilty to
second-degree assault for brandishing a knife and threatening a woman who urged her not to get an abortion.

Yet, she revealed later, she never got it.

Hall, 26, of Superior, admitted her crime in a St. Louis County courtroom under questioning by county prosecutor Nathaniel Stumme. Public defender Laura Zimm told Judge David Johnson that, under terms of a plea agreement, Hall would receive probation and wouldn’t have to serve any jail time. It was a routine, perfunctory court hearing.

The surprise came when Hall was reached by phone at her Superior home Tuesday evening. She said she never had the planned abortion. Hall said she decided to keep the baby after being confronted by anti-abortion protesters Leah Winandy and her mother, Sarah, on Nov. 24. She said she was stressed out and they made her realize that she didn’t want to end the life she was carrying inside her.

duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/160551/

Score one for the Good Guys. :thumbsup:

I hope someone in the catholic community offerscouncilling to this woman. Threatening and brandishing a knife are not great behaviors for a young mother.
This is a prime example of where The Church needs to try and be there for someone in more trouble than just being pregnant.

May God guide this young woman, her mother and her diocese.

Peace
James

Great News:thumbsup:

Hall was asked if there was anything she’d like to say to the Winandys.

Thank you for being there,” she said. “If they weren’t there, I probably would have gone through with it and regretted it for the rest of my life. It probably would have gone the other way. I’m sincerely sorry for doing that to her.”

Well, if that's not a clear call to all of us to continue to protest, I don't know what is!

[quote="JRKH, post:2, topic:187932"]
Score one for the Good Guys. :thumbsup:

I hope someone in the catholic community offerscouncilling to this woman. Threatening and brandishing a knife are not great behaviors for a young mother.
This is a prime example of where The Church needs to try and be there for someone in more trouble than just being pregnant.

May God guide this young woman, her mother and her diocese.

Peace
James

[/quote]

I agree. While I'm happy to hear she is having the baby, she really needs to get some counseling. Someone who pulls a knife when stressed may be expected to be a risk to her own child. Motherhood can be very stressful.

My prayers are with her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.