Women and Dress

Should women be more decent in behaviour and especially regarding attire(Dress) than men and if,WHY?

(Reverend Priests and both Males and Females are welcome to answer!

More? No. They expectations should be equal.

But I dont know if the Church accept that dear!

Do you have an official teaching and/or document saying as much?

No, but what I meant is I dont know the official position of the Catholic Church regarding this!

Seriously, are you trolling…

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Absolutely yes, women should be careful to embrace the vocation that God gave them in their creation: to be HIs gift to men. This is woman’s first definition of their uniqueness in humanity: they were given, and the woman was given to the man, because “it is not good for man to be alone.” She was God’s gift to the man, to complete the “goodness” of Creation. After the gift, it was “very good.”

Thus woman has a primary (meaning “first revealed”) calling or vacation in humanity - among other callings, and gifts in herself for humanity - to be “good” for man, as “helper”/“companion”. Man needs help! Man is incomplete without woman - both at the personal level but also collectively, as in human society and culture. She was taken out of him, and he is incomplete apart from her.

Thus the question must be, for women, how am I to live my unique and special vocation from God as a woman? As a human person, yes, this also, but as a female human person? Men and woman are unique, as each are called to holiness in Christ. The question, “How am I to live my calling from God?” must include the question, for women, "How am I to communicate and interact with men, so as to live my call from God, to be His gift to men, so that in seeing me, they also see the Giver, God Himself, in the gift?

Oh, not this topic again. :roll_eyes:

No, we’re all called to be equally decent and reverent. It sounds like you’re saying men are allowed to get away with being irreverent and sinful.

:roll_eyes:

Or, y’know, people could be equally modest.

My life shall never be the same :roll_eyes:

Did you actually try reading the Catechism? And if you did, and the Catechism didn’t address it, then why would you think there must be some Catholic teaching out there and you need to ask about it?

The problem today is more complicated than that. The whole issue is not centered around one virtue, “modesty.”

Okay; why is it more complicated than both parties being modest? You seemed to be saying that women should be more modest than men?

CCC 2533 Purity of heart requires the modesty which is patience, decency, and discretion. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person.

This applies to both sexes.

CCC 372 Man and woman were made “for each other” - not that God left them half-made and incomplete: he created them to be a communion of persons, in which each can be “helpmate” to the other, for they are equal as persons (“bone of my bones. . .”) and complementary as masculine and feminine. In marriage God unites them in such a way that, by forming “one flesh”,245 they can transmit human life: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth."246 By transmitting human life to their descendants, man and woman as spouses and parents cooperate in a unique way in the Creator’s work.247

For as long as I remember, the reasoning that I heard was that women have to be especially careful about modesty because men would supposedly have a harder time controlling their urges than women.

Well, if that was ever the case – it’s changed. Women now often do nothing to guard their minds and are now just as open and brazen about the men they lust after, and they are just as crass in their language and behavior.

It’s also worth mentioning that people with same-sex attraction will also have this issue with members of their own sex.

The modesty and decency rule applies to everyone.

All should all equally avoid sin, and to do so requires temperance with subordinate virtues of abstinence, chastity, and modesty. And this also includes humility. What constitutes decency and decorousness varies with the place and time.

Women must wear burkas and men must exercise outside with their shirts off. You’re welcome.

And we we’re doing so well…

Burkas? I don’t know… they leave too much to the imagination. Burkas definitely lead to near occasions of sin.

Potato sacks, unadulterated potato sacks… that’s the ticket.

Haha, I don’t know. Some people would still look good in a potato sack.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.