Women and married priests?

I posted this sometime back in the liturgy forum with almost zero respnse - maybe I’ll get some insight here???

Okay, this is a general question - maybe the orthodox on here can help?

If the apostles were at some point married (before, during, after Jesus left to debate), and some exceptions are made for western catholic priests - then obviously married priests is not as big a problem as some would make it to be??

I would think it would have more to do with accomodations and church dynamics (literally) than theology? A house other than the rectory, salary to support a wife and children, etc… Difficulties raising a family, etc…

My other question/concern would be the female spouse becoming a “priest” stand-in. I know this is almost always the case in protestant churches, the wife of the minister is often taken for granted as the freebie in the “pay 1 minister salary get spouse free”. She is expected and assumed to take on lots of church responsiblities - and it becomes a big burden on the husband if she doesn’t conform to those expectations. I think this is a major reason why women felt they should just be allowed to be ordained in some protestant churches - they got tired of being the “freebie minister.”

Does this seem to be the case in those situations where married priest are allowed? Just wondering exactly how it is worked out on the parish level.

Married men can be ordained. This is a matter of discipline, not of doctrine - although scriptural argumentation based on Saint Paul’s letters is sometimes given. Married priests of the Byzantine or any other Eastern rite are no less Catholic than any Latin rite priest. The same refers to converted married Protestant pastors in the Latin rite. Ordained men can marry with dispensation, but they end up dismissed from the clerical state. This basically means that they are priests but are no longer clerics.

Recently, I’ve opened a topic asking if anyone has any information on a priest being allowed to marry and stay active as a priest, but there doesn’t seem to be any such example. I don’t know if it’s at all possible for Orthodox priests to marry, even at the cost of being dismissed from the priesthood.

As for women being freebie ministers… there are various kinds of ministers and not all are ordained. We can’t go against the Scripture to make someone feel better about himself and his rights. Most other Christian denominations have done this but not the Catholic Church.

Priests are ordained. The Church has no authority to ordain
women no matter what the circumstance. There is no example,
real or contrived, that circumvents this fact.

Jeff

I’m not arguing about married priests - the main part of my qost was:

My other question/concern would be the female spouse becoming a “priest” stand-in. I know this is almost always the case in protestant churches, the wife of the minister is often taken for granted as the freebie in the “pay 1 minister salary get spouse free”. She is expected and assumed to take on lots of church responsiblities - and it becomes a big burden on the husband if she doesn’t conform to those expectations. I think this is a major reason why women felt they should just be allowed to be ordained in some protestant churches - they got tired of being the “freebie minister.”

Does this seem to be the case in those situations where married priest are allowed? Just wondering exactly how it is worked out on the parish level.

I know women are not ever going to be ordained and am happy to have that be the case. What question is do the women these priest are married into become like “freebie” priests? No pay, no “official” position in the church, but assumed to take share the priest work load?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.