Women and pants

Yeah. The only pictures I’ve seen of her in pants are when she seems to be in the snow and enjoying sledding or skiing. It seems it was customary, though, that in her “time and place” women wore skirts and dresses for every day wear. I’m sure as we get more modern day saints, we will see more female saints who wear pants unless they are from religious orders.

Let us not forget the most famous female saint who wore trousers and got a lot of criticism for it, St Joan of Arc.

She’s not quite a saint yet but almost. Blessed Chiara Luce Badano…there’s lots of pictures of her in jeans or trousers.

Also not a saint yet, but here’s Mother Angelica as a teenage cheerleader/ majorette

WOW had never seen that one.

It’s from the Canton OH newspaper. She grew up there so I’m guessing it was in their files, or some old local high school yearbook, or some elderly classmate’s mementos.
I’m always surprised she was able to do that and be so happy looking despite her miserable home life and being the target of a lot of persecution because her parents were divorced.

Culture plays a major role in the way people dress. Many places have distinctly feminine and masculine clothing.

Climate also plays a role. I have a former neighbor and very close friend who is originally from a culture that ladies always wear robes. They also wear different colors and styles that identify them to be in a certain tribe and level of society. Men may wear western clothing but for ceremonies they also wear robes or i don’t know the proper term. They are similar to the women’s clothing but you can tell by the style and colors they are for the men. When her family moved to the US from Africa she had decided to adopt our clothing but only dresses and skirts. She said no way was she ever putting in a pair of pants. About two after the Army moved them to Alaska, she decided pants were perfect.

I met her after she moved from Alaska to South Carolina. She laughed as she was telling me about her change of heart. In South Carolina she went back to wearing skirts most of the time but not as strictly as before Alaska.

Climate helps form a culture’s style of dressing.

St. Joan of Arc, burned at the stake, 1431. Canonized, 1920. It took her 489 years to get there. The long delay must have been because of the Vatican’s suspicions about her habit of wearing pants.

I have always heard that our Lady of La Vang appeared in traditional clothing for the women in that Vietnamese region, the ao dai, a tunic worn atop slacks.

From what I read, St. Joan having worn pants didn’t help matters when she was on trial. She argued that they helped protect her against being raped, if I remember right.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.