Women as priests

I know this is a pretty general topic, but whenever I’m asked by a Protestant why we don’t let women be priests, I tend to freeze cause I don’t really know. Could someone give me a quick, simple outline of the reasons?

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0201sbs.asp

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

The best explanation given to me is that The Church is the The Bride of Christ. And a priest, who acts in Persona Christi (in the person of Christ), shares in Christ’s nuptial relationship with The Church.

A lot of protestants don’t like women priests or ministers either. The only exception I can see in the Bible is for the gifting of evangelists. It seems that Catholics allow for women to act in that role. I think that such a position should differs from priest/bishop and pastor/teacher even for protestants.

Furthermore, how is a woman to fulfill certain qualifications that Timothy strictly laid out for men. Is she to be a man of one woman? Yeah, Yeah, I know Paul also recommends people serving God to be single but these other qualifications cannot be ignored; they are just superceded.

The simplest answer is that Jesus did not appoint women as an Apostle. The Apostles were the chosen ones to succeed the Levitical Priesthood established by Jesus in the Old Testament.

We were created Male and Female for a reason, not just in our bodies but also in our souls. Just as a man cannot be a mother in the physical sense, neither can he be a “mother” in a spiritual sense. Same goes for a woman, she can neither be a “father” in the physical or spiritual sense. That’s why we can’t have women priests.

Bacause it’s not possible for a female to receive the Sacrament of Holy Orders.

I think a more logical reason is that Christ picked only male apostles, thus the tradition has been carried on. I personally don’t have a big problem with the idea of women priests, although granted, it would take a little getting used too.

IMO, anybody who preaches/spreads the word of God in whatever manner has nothing to fear from him. However, I realize it’s never going to happen, so it’s all a mute point.

CCC 1577 “Only a baptized man (vir) validly receives sacred ordination.” The Lord Jesus chose men (viri) to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.

It would then follow that no men could belong to the Church. This argument simply doesn’t work logically. It is blazingly, brazenly irrational.

Edwin

So in what way can women and only women be “spiritual mothers”?

And why is this not institutionalized, in the way that spiritual fatherhood is?

Edwin

MOTHER Teresa? MOTHER Angelica (EWTN) are to name but a few!

the answer is in 1tim2:12

Have you ever been asked by a Protestant why men can’t be Nuns? Seems like a double standard :shrug:

They are nuns/sisters. The male equivalents of nuns are monks, not priests. Just because Catholic men these days don’t want to be celibate unless they can be priests doesn’t change the fact that the monastic and clerical vocations are separate, and that both men and women are called to the former.

Edwin

Pope John Paul affirmed that only men can be priests.

One practical thing rarely brought up: women outnumber men in the church by a large margin, and this has held true since the earliest days of the church, and is true in other religions as well. Having men in authority draws more men to the church. Also, I’ve noticed that whenever a church gets a woman pastor the attendance declines, at least in the long term.

Blessings, Anne

It’s that kind of argument that really convinces me that the anti-WO position is desperate and bankrupt. You are tacitly admitting that the male-only priesthood panders to the male love of dominance and power. And then the anti-women’s-ordination folks say that it’s women who want the priesthood out of a love of power! Well, no doubt some do. Men and women are sinful alike. But when you wash out the sinful motivations on both sides, there isn’t much left to justify the male-only priesthood.

By the way, this point isn’t “rarely brought up.” I hear it all the time.

Edwin

1 Timothy 2:12 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Christ establish an all male Apostle. Since the bishops and priest are consider successors Apostles, no women can be priest. That why the Catholic Church is never permitted to allow it.

Ed, if I were you I wouldn’t be concern about it since you are Episcopal, and in your Church allow women priests.

The Catholic Church won’t allow it nor will the Orthodox Church. God made it so.

Yes, I agree with all of these. But why did God make it so? I hope it’s not another one of those mysteries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.