Women in the church the feminine genius

I think if there were more women in leadership in the Vatican there would be far less scandals. The feminine genius that is praised is not present in leadership in the Catholic church. I love being Catholic but I see a real imbalance in leadership which is missing the characteristics that God gave to females. Nurturing, caring, compassion not saying men are not this but often we think of women in this way and all im saying is I think now is the Popes defining moment how he handles these scandles. Just saying sorry is not enough. Its time to include the feminine genius in leadership roles.

There would just be different kinds of scandals.

This “feminine genius” Episcopal bishop was convicted of manslaughter:

Cook, 60, pleaded guilty in 2015 to charges of vehicular manslaughter, drunken driving, driving while texting and leaving the scene of an accident in the crash that killed 41-year-old Thomas Palermo on Dec. 27, 2014.

In her 2010 arrest, Cook registered a blood alcohol level of 0.27 percent. Police said she had been driving on a shredded tire, and they found marijuana and empty liquor bottles in her car.
Commission chairman David Blumberg said the two commissioners who ruled on the case told him they denied Cook parole in part because she “took no responsibility” for her actions and displayed a “lack of remorse” during the 90-minute hearing at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup.

This isn’t a neccessary change.

Is this just another disguised push for women priests? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Didn’t we just have a thread on this exact same topic?

I agree we would just have a different set of problems.

Other than your own opinion, do you see a biblical or patristic basis for this?

I think there could be female leadership without female priests. I think there should be. There are female Catholic chaplains. My wife’s aunt is a nun and holds that position.

This ongoing abuse scandal is more about management of the institutional Church, not the spiritual aspect of the Church. It is not about consecrating hosts. Women could handle that as well as men, perhaps better. And yes, women commit crimes too. But statistically not as many and less often the more serious crimes. Also, a balance of men and women in leadership creates more “checks and balances.”

Romans 16:1 - Paul writes of Phoebe: “I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of his people and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been the benefactor of many people, including me.”

Phoebe shepherded a lot of new Christians into the faith and was responsible for building the church in the region of Cenchreae and has been canonized as a saint in both the eastern and western traditions. She was also said to be a “presiding officer” of that congregation.

OK, that’s valid.

Women in leadership certainly works at the local level, ask any priest and they all know some very good women who help them. At the Vatican, are they all men?

How can you prove that flooding the Vatican with women would solve the problem? Are they not also human and prone to sin?

Like Casey Stengel said, “Never change a winning game. Always change a losing game.” In theory, women may create problems, but in actuality, men are creating problems now. Also, might not some balance cause some harmony?

Pope John Paul the Second kind of sealed up the option.

Your choice of words makes your feelings clear. Allowing lay and religious women to gain and engage in higher positions within the church more freely and easily, will no longer make it a “boy’s club”.

And yes, where there are “boy’s clubs” there are secrets, which is why they exist in the first place. Some things are perfectly harmless, however others maintain a shroud of secrecy around them, where they do not want prying eyes.

Our Church sadly falls not into the harmless category. It has cloaked itself in a shroud of secrecy that only benefits those in the “boy’s club”.

Those outside of it—including victims and survivors of both abuse and sexual abuse—really don’t see the point.

Why can’t laity be part of the administration of the Church on a high level? Vatican level? And what’s wrong with having women involved as part of the strategy to include laity and create more transparency?

Can someone clarify and/or answer whether there are any impediments on women working and being privy to certain aspects of religious administration?

Canon law wise?

:tulip:

I support women having influence all the way up the Church hierarchy but I don’t think women should be ordained. Because Christ didn’t ordain women. No one more than Christ knew the power and influence of the “female genius”. His mother was not only a women, not only a genius, but she was sinless. If ever there was a man who benefited from the female genius, it was Christ (it was clearly mutual, of course). And He included them in his life, his teaching and his Church. But not within his Twelve. Why? It certainly wouldn’t have been any harder to accept than prostitutes entering Heaven before Pharisees and Saducees. Or literally eating His flesh and drinking His blood. Or a virgin birth. Or water that becomes wine. Or loaves and fish…you get the point.

Christ didn’t share with us WHY He didn’t include women in His Twelve. But, He didn’t, so a. there IS a reason and b. It is a good…no, it is a perfect reason. I will follow His lead.

That doesn’t exclude women from positions of power and influence within the Church, however. There have been many saints, nuns, Abbesses and laywomen who have been influential. How influential was Our Lady? Mary Magdalene? Theresa of Avila? Therese of LIseaux? Mother Angelica? The Church is, and has in the past, been hugely patriarchal (in a bad way). And hugely powerful. And men’s sins of greed, ambition and lust have brought it to it’s knees several times already. But the problem isn’t that they are men. The problem is that they fall to sin. Women would fall to sin, as well and are as capable of mis-management as men. Truly. Gender isn’t the problem; sin is.

As far as I can tell, the only things women should not do is consecrate hosts and hear confession. There might be a couple of other things. There should not be any impediment to having managerial roles in the church. And the current troubles are mostly about bad management, not bad religion.

I might add to that, ordain priests, ordain bishops, administer the sacrament of the sick (reserved to priests only) confirm the laity (reserved to bishops) give homilies at mass (reserved to the celebrant). I could go on.
There are women professors in the seminary, and heaven know a multitude of women in clerical and managerial positions in parishes and dioceses. Exactly what else should women be doing? Making decisions on what is doctrine and dogma?

Not a well thought out position.

How about making decisions about anti-sexual abuse procedures in the Church? The men are messing that up mightily. Somebody needs to fix it.

What’s your solution? It better be significant, because we are losing at this point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.