Women March Topless In Portland, ME Without Incident

Heard this on a number of news sources...

From Drudge....

pressherald.com/news/Women-march-topless-in-Portland-without-incident.html

The picture posted on the article shows their backs but it shows all the men taking photos.

Ty McDowell, who organized the march, said she was "enraged" by the turnout of men attracted to the demonstration. The purpose, she said, was for society to have the same reaction to a woman walking around topless as it does to men without shirts on.

However, McDowell said she plans to organize similar demonstrations in the future and said she would be more "aggressive" in discouraging oglers.

Maine has the topless female march, (similar to breastfest which took place in Vermont in 1990's like the streakers of the 1970's) and Keene, Nashua plus other towns in NH still have the pot smokers on the Commons at 4:20 each day.

NE:shrug:

Quote:
Ty McDowell, who organized the march, said she was “enraged” by the turnout of men attracted to the demonstration. The purpose, she said, was for society to have the same reaction to a woman walking around topless as it does to men without shirts on.
However, McDowell said she plans to organize similar demonstrations in the future and said she would be more “aggressive” in discouraging oglers.Now, that’s funny! “We’ll be taking our shirts off now, and don’t you DARE ogle!”

If you give a man something to look at he’s going to look.:coffeeread: I would think that one would be pretty obvious. :shrug:

Not me I won’t look; I’ll ogle. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh those silly feminists. They're just never happy

I think the Broadsheet columnist for the generally liberal Salon.com has the right take on it. She asks, rhetorically, why shouldn’t women have the same privilege to bare skin during warm weather?

Maybe because, as the shutter-happy rubberneckers and “Whaddaya expect?” finger-wagging news reporters this weekend proved, real life is rarely fair or equal. Because women are already subjected to gropes and jeers and comments and creepy guys looking down our shirts or up our skirts. Who wants to be the bare-breasted canary in that coal mine?

I’m not saying it’s right, or that it’s our responsibility to be the guardians of the male gaze. I’m just saying that the way we present ourselves, whether in a miniskirt or a burqa, comes with an implicit degree of attention. The reality is that we live in a country where a woman taking off her shirt is not generally viewed as a natural consequence of a warm day. It’s more often seen as a desperate plea for Mardi Gras beads.

salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/04/05/topless_protest/

Incidentally, in France, it was not uncommon for young women to sunbathe topless at beaches during the 1970s and 1980s. And it is still legal. However, few young women of this generation want any part of the topless sunbathing thing, and express horror when it is suggested to them.

However, McDowell said she plans to organize similar demonstrations in the future and said she would be more "aggressive" in discouraging oglers.

So the goal is to find uglier marchers?

[quote="SamH, post:7, topic:193708"]
So the goal is to find uglier marchers?

[/quote]

for some guys I now that wouldn't make any difference

:yup:

This is just flat out goofy. Give me a break. Men are basically hard-wired to notice this stuff. Some women don’t get it because they’re not typically so visually oriented and don’t have the microwave libido of a guy.

I dunno. If I saw a man walk around town in his work shirt, jacket, shoes, and a thong, I’m pretty sure I’D be staring :eek:

:rotfl:

Yah, but I think for a different reason, eh?

[quote="WestonGrant, post:11, topic:193708"]
:rotfl:

Yah, but I think for a different reason, eh?

[/quote]

But golly, don't those men have a right to walk around baring parts of their body suppose to be kept covered without being oggled? GAH. TALK about sexism!

Actually there weren’t that many young ones, so I don’t know why they made such a fuss over them. How ridiculous that they marched so that no one would watch and they won’t be happy until no one notices if they are naked? Geesh, aren’t they certifiable? Progressives are brain dead to be sure. I guess I can’t call names, but I am not mentioning names. I just think it is very stupid.

I'm a healthy red-blooded American male. But when a woman takes her top off in an effort to achieve an in-your-face (no pun) protest for mere shock value, they are not sexy at all. Just silly. I'll look just so I understand their point of view. :rolleyes: But it's just funny and silly, not sexy at all. Topless ladies, get over yourselves.

erm… I think you missed the point of the protest. There was no intent to be sexy, or to shock.

I’m not saying that what they did was well considered. Daring, yes. Committed, yes. Well-conceived… I’m not so sure.

If it wasn’t intended to shock, why is it news? Why do we even know about it? A woman takes her top off in public for one reason, to get a reaction. If you want to simply make a point, keep your clothes on and wear a button.

One poster earlier hit on it, but these silly progressives spend their careers trying to overturn the laws of nature... Men are visually oriented, we are hardwired that way... Men will always look. I t is just another feminist tactic of disrespecting men, and attacking them for doing what comes naturally.

[quote="Aquinas62, post:17, topic:193708"]
One poster earlier hit on it, but these silly progressives spend their careers trying to overturn the laws of nature... Men are visually oriented, we are hardwired that way... Men will always look. I t is just another feminist tactic of disrespecting men, and attacking them for doing what comes naturally.

[/quote]

As a woman, I totally agree with your point here. I am disgusted by their behavior and sad that it even made news. They should have been arrested for indecent exposure.

[quote="Aquinas62, post:17, topic:193708"]

[/quote]

well, since there are many areas where historically both sexes wore what to our eyes is very little clothing I'm not sure it is a law of nature that men men can't help themselves in circumstances like that

Now if they wore different types of guns I would stare at them; the guns that is.

:bounce::popcorn:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.