WOMEN ONLY: Your "opinions" on Women Ordination

This is a poll of the women only: What is your opinioin on the topic of women ordination.

:mad:
If we have female priests does that mean we should have male nuns? If you listen to those promoting women ordination they talk about women having positions of power and authority in the church. Being a priest is about serving not power.
I know the church has already spoken definatively on the subject but even if they hadn’t I would not want a woman priest (actually priestess).

I believe Jesus meant for the priesthood to be for men and not women. I don’t really understand why its such a big deal to some women that they feel the need to be priests. I believe that any holy vocation is wonderful whether it be a priest or a nun. One is not “better” than the other as long as they intend to serve Christ, which is all that matters.

God Bless,
Heather

It is about power, and not service. Rome has already spoken and the position carries the same weight as any other dogma. It will not and cannot happen.

I believe the priesthood is for males only. If women need to have a religous vocation there is a need for sisters and nuns. I had some nuns that were great teachers and remember them fondly. They were strict but you learned.

Is there any serious catholics who think that there are need for a women ordination?

Weren’t the Apostles all men?

I’m one of the older ones here so I guess I’m just used to having male priest and female nuns. After all, a nun, in my opinion, is just as holy as a priest and deserves the same respect. Nuns do wonderful work in serving the Lord. It shouldn’t be about who has the most “power”. If it’s only “power” that they’re after, then they shouldn’t be either a priest or a nun.

As I’ve said before, if people don’t like the rules of the Church, then they are free to leave. The media make it seem as though the Church is divided on this issue, but I think it’s only a few wacko women that are causing all this dissention. :frowning:

Shannin

I am a convert and one of the things that always attracted me to Catholicism is the distinction of roles of men and women. They are separate, distinct, but both are extremely important and are complimentary to each other. I believe this is the way God intended it to be and I believe when Jesus was here on this earth, this is one of the things he showed. We all have our place and purpose.

If we have female priests does that mean we should have male nuns? If you listen to those promoting women ordination they talk about women having positions of power and authority in the church. Being a priest is about serving not power.
I know the church has already spoken definatively on the subject but even if they hadn’t I would not want a woman priest (actually priestess).
[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

am not offering an opinion on the subject since you ask only for women’s opinions… but,

why would someone concerned about the exclusion of a sex from the ordained, then turn right around and exclude a sex from input?

something bothers me about this picture or thread…

I said yes, and the main reason is because of Mary Magdalene. She was clearly incredibly important to Jesus and one of his closest disciples. (After all, she was one of the first to see Jesus risen.) It is not a stretch to assume she had a position of importance in the early Church as well. If she could have a high place in the Church, why not any woman who cares about Jesus as much as she did?

Historically, society has been incredibly patriarchal and women’s roles have been suppressed and the instances where women’s roles were not suppressed have been purposely erased from public record. We simply don’t know if women had priestly positions early on, and therefore we can’t just flat out assume that they didn’t. (The fact that women priests aren’t spoken of in the Bible just isn’t enough for me, it’s a known fact that people like Paul were staunch mysoginists, not to mention the men who put the Bible together later.)

I’m a realist though, so I know this probably won’t happen any time soon. I highly doubt it’ll even happen within my lifetime, unfortunately. But I do believe in my heart that it will happen, and I think it will be a good change.

(Please, no flames. You asked for opinions and mine was sorely underrepresented. I only ask that you realize that not all Catholics are of the conservative type and that the Catholic Church is big enough for us all.)

If “the instances where women’s roles were not suppressed have been purposely erased from public record” how do *you *know they existed? There are writings from the early church followers and from historians outside of the church available for study. It is not impossible to know if women priests existed. After all we know about religions before Chistiany and what their beliefs were. There were people whose job was to record history that weren’t part of the Catholic church and they did just that.

Paul hated women, and the men who put the Bible together hated women? It’s one thing to state opinion which we’re all entitled to, it completely different to state opinion as fact. You need a better understanding of church history before you make such statements. Would you like to offer evidence for your claims?

A common complaint about the early Church is that a certain misogynism is found in the writings of some of the Church Fathers, but as Inter Insigniores no. 6 notes it is not clear that such prejudice had any influence on their pastoral activity. It is always important to distinguish the doctrine taught by personnel of the Church from their own opinions on various matters. Christ’s gift of infallibility means that the Magisterium will not err on matters of faith and morals, not that representatives of the Church will be perfect in all respects.

catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Faith/0506-96/article4.html

[quote=LoneRanger]am not offering an opinion on the subject since you ask only for women’s opinions… but,

why would someone concerned about the exclusion of a sex from the ordained, then turn right around and exclude a sex from input?

[/quote]

probably because all we hear about in the news are how “Catholic Women” are pressing for ordination. I’m sure the poll was made to see how Catholic Women actually think on this issue. :slight_smile:

I said NO WAY!!!

Lone Ranger,
Let’s let the ladies have their say.

I have no problem with that, goodness know on the vast amount of threads we all get to have our say.

God bless the women !

Trick

[quote=LoneRanger]am not offering an opinion on the subject since you ask only for women’s opinions… but,

[/quote]

Same here.

I didn’t vote becuase I don’t know God’s will for the future. I do trust however, that the Holy Spirit will guide the Pope, in faith and moral decisions that will advance His Church upon the earth, as he seeks to do God’s will.

If women ever become priests, it will be by God’s Will, alone!

I am 50+ and you ran out of space in this poll for my opinion! (please post)
NO WAY!!!

LoneRanger: In this particular instance a woman’s view holds a lot of weight precisely because there is an unspoken assumption that all the women of the Catholic Church want ordination for women. This poll is specifically addressing that question, and therefore men’s input is superfluous. It has nothing to do with the worth of our opinion.

I am a male, however I am very interested in the opinions of all especially women on this particular subject. I apologzie for jumping in… however, this is an excellent thread.

Please continue your thoughts. The “debate” that perked up there was interesting. I did not want to reply, b/c it’s not my place to (being a women only thread, I also didn’t do the poll obviously).

I’ll sit on the sidelines here, however, let’s not forget that Mary, a women, was the most important person in Christ’s life especially of course early on. We can only follow her example to Christ. She is not an apostle, not b/c Christ didn’t make her one, but she served as a role model not jsut for women but for everyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.