Women Priests? Never

M**any people are not aware that Bl. Pope John Paul II infallibly stated that women can never become priests in ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS :

1. Although the teaching that priestly ordination is to be reserved to men alone has been preserved by the constant and universal Tradition of the Church and firmly taught by the Magisterium in its more recent documents, at the present time in some places it is nonetheless considered still open to debate, or the Church’s judgment that women are not to be admitted to ordination is considered to have a merely disciplinary force.

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

Key sentence: " I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful."

Key word: “definitively”

THAT, ladies and germs, was an act of Papal Infallibility.

And still there are groups of “Catholic” women with websites promoting female priests. It ironic that they deny Papal authority and Papal infalliblity and still want to be priests. Why aren’t these people excommunicated?

Not to pick nits but:

Pope John Paul II didn’t actually infallibly state that women can’t be ordained priests. However that teaching is an infallible statement. Just not because the pope said so. It is infallible as part of the Universal Ordinary Magisterium, not because the pope made an ex cathedra pronouncement defining the dogma. In fact, it was not necessary for him to make an ex cathedra statement precisely because the teaching was already part of the infallible doctrines of the church.

COVER LETTER TO BISHOPS’ CONFERENCE PRESIDENTS
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
November 8, 1995
The publication in May 1994 of the apostolic letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis was followed by a number of problematic and negative statements by certain theologians, organizations of priests and religious, as well as some associations of lay people. These reactions attempted to cast doubt on the definitive character of the letter’s teaching on the inadmissibility of women to the ministerial priesthood and also questioned whether this teaching belonged to the deposit of the faith.
This congregation therefore has judged it necessary to dispel the doubts and reservations that have arisen by issuing a responsum ad dubium, which the Holy Father has approved and ordered to be published (cf. enclosure).
In asking you to bring this responsum to the attention of the bishops of your episcopal conference before its official publication, this dicastery is confident that the conference itself, as well as the individual bishops, will do everything possible to ensure its distribution and favorable reception, taking particular care that, above all on the part of theologians, pastors of souls and religious, ambiguous and contrary positions will not again be proposed.
The text of the responsum is to remain confidential until the date of its publication in L’Osservatore Romano, which is expected to be the 18th of November.
With gratitude for your assistance and with prayerful best wishes I remain,
Sincerely Yours in Christ,
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
CONCERNING THE TEACHING CONTAINED IN ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS RESPONSUM AD DUBIUM
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
October 28, 1995
Dubium: Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be understood as belonging to the deposit of faith.
Responsum: In the affirmative.
This teaching requires definitive assent, since, founded on the written Word of God, and from the beginning constantly preserved and applied in the Tradition of the Church,*** it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and universal Magisterium*** (cf. Second Vatican Council, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium 25, 2). Thus, in the present circumstances, the Roman Pontiff, exercising his proper office of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32), has handed on this same teaching by a formal declaration, explicitly stating what is to be held always, everywhere, and by all, as belonging to the deposit of the faith. (emphasis added)

The Sovereign Pontiff John Paul II, at the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved this Reply, adopted in the ordinary session of this Congregation, and ordered it to be published.

Rome, from the offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, on the Feast of the Apostles SS. Simon and Jude, October 28, 1995.
Joseph Card. Ratzinger
Prefect
Tarcisio Bertone
Archbishop Emeritus of Vercelli

That sentence seems to contradict itslef.

Say a prayer for all those sad nuns searching so desperately for power without purpose. We all know that without holy women the Church would not exist today. However, we have seen too much dissent and pride in the organised American group of nuns, supposedly representing the whole population of nuns.
It is pride that blinds them to the Truth of the Church’s teachings on this and other issues such as abortion and contraception. Pray to Mary that she as a woman will have kind words for them before their Judge.

No it does not.

I could make a statement “The nature of the Godhead is a unity of Three Divine persons”

I did not state that infallibly, because the conditions of infallibility were not met (not the least of which is that I am not the Pope)

But the statement is an infallible statement, as it is part of the Infallible teachings of the Church. What I did was truthfully state an already infallible teaching of the Church

Pope John Paul II made no new statements on Faith, he did no speak Ex Cathedra. What he did, and as then Cardinal Ratzninger noted, was truthfully state an already infallible teaching of the Church

Deacon Jeff and Brendan are correct.

It is rather peculiar. On one of the “women priests” websites, they even post the text of both John Paul II’s Apostolic Letter and the CDF’s follow-up clarification. So it’s not a matter of them not knowing these statements are out there. They simply say that two non-infallible statements cannot add up to one infallible teaching.

It really comes from them misunderstanding what the ordinary and universal Magisterium is. They think it is merely the “voice of the people.” And since they are part of “the people” and they don’t believe the teaching, they think it, therefore, cannot be part of the faith that must be held to by all.

Well I won’t belabor the point.
Nevertheless, women cannot be priests, and I think all are agreed that is an infallible “teaching.” Yes?

Yes. :wink:

Probably not. On an internet forum such as this, it will be a rare occasion that all are agreed.

My personal opinion is Why not? We need to spread interpret the Bible on this issue as we do with other things, and thus, in a way adapted to the modern life.As for some interpretations we must accept falling of the Berlin Wall, and for the Bible we have to accept that many things in the old and the Middle Ages changed to modern time.’‘Perestroika’’ in interpretation :wink:

Yea but at a time in America when we have abortion on demand, a big time fight to change the definition of marriage, religious liberty in trouble etc. etc. etc. To me it is not the time to even debate about this or allowing married priests. I do see people quite often who are in the Church align their views with bad laws and politics rather than the Church. As Bl.John Paul II says, the Church doesnt even have the authority to change the priesthood. I think fliers should go out at all parishes teaching why we believe what we believe and stand firm with our faith. Fliers Piously stating why marriage should be between a man and a woman, fliers why priestly celibacy is so important (like JPII letter’s), why men and women equal in dignity but have different roles, etc, etc, etc.

Why not? Because the Church has infallibly stated it cannot do it. Please re-read Ordinatio Sacrodotalis.

That is not an opinion, that is a question. The answer to that question is: The Holy Spirit, through the Magisterium of the Church, has said it cannot be done.

We can ask “Why” to a whole host of things that make no sense:

• Why did the Son enter the world as a baby, why not just appear - poof - and get down to business.
  • Why did God wait so many millenia before finally bringing salvation to all mankind.

Why why why?

Well, it is enough that it is so. The “why” is besides the point.

Women are very valuable in the Church, though not as Priests certainly. Nuns are well-respected around here, just look at how many threads we have praising the work that our Nuns do—

Actually, never mind.

So bad on so many levels. Hee Hee!

This doesnt mean we cant ask questions but after reading Church documents, listening to our Bishops and seeing how things are at our present time in the USA, it may be better to say “I dont understand this,but I am going to keep on praying and reading about it from good sources.” An un-prudent thing to do (even when it is a Church discipline) is take your own opinion and teach others it.

Nuns by their very vocation are meant to be hidden in Christ, aren’t they? Only their Spouse knows how much they do for aching mankind and for Holy Church.

True, this is by degrees. Some work wonderfully in the world, while others are entirely hidden from it. However, I haven’t seen that many threads praising the work of monks and friars, either.

Honestly, this thread is a nice reminder of something that is as old as it gets. Already 1500 years ago we find a letter from a Pope stating: “we have heard with irritation that divine things have come to such lack of respect that women are encouraged to minister at the sacred altars and to perform all the things that do not belong to them, which are assigned only to the service of men”. Let’s be blunt: the Church has never and will never ordain women, because this is not God’s will. Heretics have always and will always bring forth “womenpriests” because that is the nature of error: to distort divinely established order and hierarchy - in the Church, in the society, in the family.

If women were ordained priests the church would no longer be Catholic.

I agree 100%.

In fact, a person - male or female - can often reach more people and accomplish things on a grander scale than the average parish priest can. Just look at Kimberly Hahn and Scott Hahn.

If the church doesn’t have the authority to ordain women priests (as clearly stated), I’m confused why the women are asking the church to ordain them.

Just my 2 cents worth of nonsense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.