Women Priests

I have friend who is thinking more along the lines of what I call “American Catholic” and does not understand why women cannot be priests. I started a discussion about " persona christi" by did not get where I wanted to go. He is very open to dialouge as long as I can support my postion.

What scripture and or resources could I look to to formulate a good answer to explain the Catholic Church’s postion on this?

[quote=jeff thompson]I have friend who is thinking more along the lines of what I call “American Catholic” and does not understand why women cannot be priests. I started a discussion about " persona christi" by did not get where I wanted to go. He is very open to dialouge as long as I can support my postion.

What scripture and or resources could I look to to formulate a good answer to explain the Catholic Church’s postion on this?
[/quote]

Women SHOULD NOT be preists!!:tsktsk:

May I suggest you visit Peter Kreeft’s website?

He has, in his audio section, a lecture on the subject of why the priesthood is male. You can find it at:

peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm

There’s a series of them, and they cover the topic from a number of perspectives.

Blessings,

Gerry

FATHER Margaret is having her monthly cycle today and really hemmorraging and cramping bad, so FATHER Joan will offer the True Sacrifice of the Mass of Calvary in an unbloody manner which FATHER Margaret obviously cannot do.
Thanks folks.

It’s a question of fairness and equality. God wanted both sexes to be equally involved in Life.

The most talked about reason for an all male priesthood is based on God’s sense of Equality and the Complementary roles of male and female.

Humans are made of two ‘parts’ the Body and Spirt, Biology and Ontology

God created females to bear Life Biologically. This is plain to see and no proclaimation of the Church will allow males to bear children. The Church does not have the Authority to change God’s design for Biology.

Males have the ability to bear life Ontologically, via the Eucharist and Absolution. Each sex brings with it the necessary complements for Eternal Life. The female brings forth new life biologically and nurtures it biologically. The male brings forth new Life Ontologically and provides ontologically nutrition.

In this way, God uses male and female equally to bring new souls into existance and into Eternal Life. Equal and complementary

The Church has no more Authority to declare females have the ability to bring forth the Eucharist and Absolve than it would have to declare that men may bear children and nurse.

If the Pope assume Biological Authority he did not have and tried to declare that men could bear children, we would call him a major nutcase, so why not the same of Ontological Authority?

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) answers ten common questions about why the Catholic Church will never have ordained priestesses.

Ten Frequently Asked Questions About the Reservation of Priestly Ordination to Men"In the apostolic letter, Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, Pope John Paul II reaffirmed that the Catholic Church has no authority to confer priestly ordination on women. This teaching is to be held definitively by all the faithful as belonging to the deposit of faith. The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith clarified the authority of this teaching by stating that it is founded on the written Word of God, has been constantly preserved and applied in the Tradition of the Church, and has been set forth infallibly by the universal ordinary magisterium. "

[quote=Brendan]It’s a question of fairness and equality. God wanted both sexes to be equally involved in Life.

The most talked about reason for an all male priesthood is based on God’s sense of Equality and the Complementary roles of male and female.

[/quote]

WRONG PREMISE! They can talk about the WRONG premise til the 2nd Coming!
Bad premise gives Bad conclusion You don’t arrive at Truth via Error.

I mentioned this in another post, but I suggest responding by changing the question to: “Why can’t women be Fathers, you asked?” Even for those who don’t understand the theological reasons behind it, it’s kind of hard to proceed with, “Yes, tell me why women can’t be Fathers.”

I mentioned this in another post, but I suggest responding by changing the question to: “Why can’t women be Fathers, you asked?” Even for those who don’t understand the theological reasons behind it, it’s kind of hard to proceed with, “Yes, tell me why women can’t be Fathers.”

And why men cannot be mothers???

I remember there are a lot of men who wanted to become “women” and get pregnant as well. But why can’t they get pregnant??? This is an offense against men’s sexuality!:mad: (and so they say…)

Can’t they get the fundamental difference of both sexes?

Pio

My intent here is to decapitate this demon.
The male only priesthodd is DE FIDEI
Therefore, anyone who promotes otherwise is:

1. In a state of disobedience to the Deposit of Faith, and the infallible Teaching of the Catholic Church.
  2. Those who continue to promote non-male priesthood are promoting heresy against the Deposit of Faith, which is objectively a serious sin. Doing this with willful persistence makes one a heretic and outside the Catholic Church.
  3. One risks ipso facto excommunication for promoting a non-male priesthood.

JPII:
Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Luke 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.“
Pope BXVI - Ratzinger:
Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be *understood as belonging to the deposit of faith.* Responsum: In the affirmative.”

Excommunication for promoting non-male priesthood:** ** 1997 January 2: **Father Tissa Balasuriya of Sri Lanka wrote a book in 1990 titled, “Mary and Human Liberation,” in which he called for the ordination of women. The Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) investigated his writings and found them heretical. …The CDF asked again in June 1996 that he sign the original statement (correcting his error); he refused. The Congregation decided to excommunicate him, but did not act on that ruling because Father Balasuriya had appealed his case to Pope John Paul II. On January 2, 1997, Pope John Paul II upheld the excommunication.

FATHER Margaret is having her monthly cycle today and really hemmorraging and cramping bad, so FATHER Joan will offer the True Sacrifice of the Mass of Calvary in an unbloody manner which FATHER Margaret obviously cannot do.
Thanks folks.

:nope: This tells me everything I need to know about your opinions on this or any other subject regarding women.

[quote=dwc]:nope: This tells me everything I need to know about your opinions on this or any other subject regarding women.
[/quote]

Not quite…I have 5 daughters that LOVE their Dad.

Now you know.

ps. What I gave in the recent prior post on the Church’s INFALLIBLE teaching, which you apparently dispise, is NOT an opinion.

[quote=Paris Blues]Women SHOULD NOT be preists!!:tsktsk:
[/quote]

Correction. Women CANNOT be priests.

You have 5 daughters? Did you teach them it’s acceptable for men to speak to and about them in the same way you posted about women?

Don’t be so threatened by the very thought of women possibly becoming a priest. It shows a lack of faith in God’s ability to take care of His Church.

By the way, I don’t support the idea of women priests. Not because I think their monthly cycles would interfer with their ability to say mass, :rolleyes: but because I accept the church’s authority in this matter.

[quote=dwc]You have 5 daughters? Did you teach them it’s acceptable for men to speak to and about them in the same way you posted about women?

Don’t be so threatened by the very thought of women possibly becoming a priest. It shows a lack of faith in God’s ability to take care of His Church.

By the way, I don’t support the idea of women priests. Not because I think their monthly cycles would interfer with their ability to say mass, :rolleyes: but because I accept the church’s authority in this matter.
[/quote]

It is impossible, The Church, which has been given authority by God, has already defined it as unchangable. You can’t even say it is possible because the Church already declared it impossible. Look at this, which was already posted by TNT.

JPII:
Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Luke 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful."

Pope BXVI - Ratzinger:
**Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be un**derstood as belonging to the deposit of faith. Responsum: In the affirmative."

[quote=dwc]You have 5 daughters? Did you teach them it’s acceptable for men to speak to and about them in the same way you posted about women?

**Don’t be so threatened by the very thought of women possibly becoming a priest. **
I don’t support the idea of women priests. Not because I think their monthly cycles would interfer with their ability to say mass, :rolleyes: but because I accept the church’s authority in this matter.
[/quote]

Don’t be so threatened by the very thought of women possibly becoming a priest.
I don’t support the idea of women priests.

Nice try. Didn’t work. And, WHERE, pray tell, is this POSSIBILITY ?
It’s NOT a possibility, therefore, it cannot be a threat.

I accept the church’s authority in this matter.

Recently you proposed this as being somewhat “heavy handed”…ie to just accept based on authority?

[quote=TNT]… …
It’s NOT a possibility, therefore, it cannot be a threat.

[/quote]

For something that is not a threat it is met with an awful lot of enlarged, bold, highlighted, red text :wink:

You seem to be very vehement about mere speculation.

[quote=Steve Andersen]For something that is not a threat it is met with an awful lot of enlarged, bold, highlighted, red text :wink:

You seem to be very vehement about mere speculation.
[/quote]

Correction. I am very vehement about someone promoting, however veiled, an heretical position on a Catholic Forum.
“Mere Speculation” is not in the cards on non-male priesthood. And that is the point. …speculating against the Deposit of Faith.
If someone keeps “speculating” about the possiblility of 2+2 <> 4 to my family members, I will finally get vehement after they persist or become obstinate.
BTW:
"enlarged, bold, highlighted, red text"
is made available for a reason. If it was only to be size 2 in normal black, then why all the choices?
Finally, my eye vision lacks a great deal toward 20/20. This is hard for me to read.

I’d recommend reading the Vatican document “Declaration on the Admission of Women to the Minesterial Preiesthood”. Put out in 1976, it was written by the CDF at the behest of Pope Paul VI and does a really good job of outlining the reasons why the Church feels it does not hold the authority to ordain women to the sacred priesthood. Here’s the link:

ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFINSIG.HTM

Women should never be priests.

The homilies would last way too long. And you’d have problems with them keeping confessions a secret.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.