Women's communities that wear the habit

Can you guys post some active women's religious communities that wear a traditional habit.
Thanks!

Dominican Sisters of Mary sistersofmary.org/

Nashville Dominicans nashvilledominican.org/

Sisters of Life sistersoflife.org/

Carmelite sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus carmelitedcj.org/

Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart carmelitesistersocd.com/

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate marymediatrix.com/religious-life/sisters-of-the-immaculate

Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal franciscansisterscfr.com/

Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary saintbenedict.com/theorder/about-order.html

Sisters of Reparation sistersofreparation.org/

Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious cmswr.org/

Of course this is only a very small number but hope it helps :slight_smile:

Great list! :thumbsup: You can also find many here, religiouslife.com/ All of their affiliates wear a habit, religiouslife.com/about_irl.html

The profession of the evangelical counsels by some can inspire, enrich, and sanctify all. Visible religious in distinctive garb are a powerful witness to the world.

And here’s the page there with all of their member communities: cmswr.org/member_communities/membercommunities.html (and these are all active communities)

:doh2: Didn’t think to do that. Thanks

[quote="miniquedoes, post:2, topic:209134"]
Dominican Sisters of Mary sistersofmary.org/

Nashville Dominicans nashvilledominican.org/

Sisters of Life sistersoflife.org/

Carmelite sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus carmelitedcj.org/

Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart carmelitesistersocd.com/

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate marymediatrix.com/religious-life/sisters-of-the-immaculate

Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal franciscansisterscfr.com/

Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary saintbenedict.com/theorder/about-order.html

Sisters of Reparation sistersofreparation.org/

Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious cmswr.org/

Of course this is only a very small number but hope it helps :)

[/quote]

GREAT LIST!

I'm adding one of my favorites:

Missionaries of Charity motherteresa.org/

:thumbsup: for the Missionaries of Charity

and :whackadoo: Yay for my 100th post!!!

Sisters of St. John, both apostolic or contemplative stjean.com communityofstjohn.com

Disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ;

dljc.org/english/index.cfm?active=1

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

The Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows also wear habits. They teach and do retreat work, and they have missions in Asia. www.olpretreat.org.

My sister belongs to the Daughters of St. Mary of Providence. They are in full habit and live in community. And, I think they are incredible!

Their founder is Blessed Aloysius Guanella – who was just approved for canonization

Lots of Dominicans wear a pretty traditional habit.

Keep in mind that most of the habits were based upon what upper middle class/wealthy women wore at the time that community was founded. It literally makes no sense for a Nun to be required to wear garments form the middle ages in the 21st century.

They should wear identifiable garments, but to expect them to continue to wear 400-8-00 year old dress is silly.

[quote="The_Old_Medic, post:11, topic:209134"]
Lots of Dominicans wear a pretty traditional habit.

Keep in mind that most of the habits were based upon what upper middle class/wealthy women wore at the time that community was founded. It literally makes no sense for a Nun to be required to wear garments form the middle ages in the 21st century.

They should wear identifiable garments, but to expect them to continue to wear 400-8-00 year old dress is silly.

[/quote]

That's not entirely true. Many nuns of the traditional orders who are in habit wear a simple dress (either calf or ankel length) and a veil of some type. Many veils consist of a bonnet (to cover the hair) and then a shoulder length veil. Simple, identifable, easy, and modest. It literally and figuratively makes perfect sense for those who do wear them to continue to do so and there is nothing silly about it at all to those who do. It's not about a "requirement" or "expectation" -- it's all about a way of life that those who are on the outside will never completely understand.

Hello Old Medic, I saw that you are a member of the Knights of Columbus. I would say that just as the Knights are recognized by their regalia (which nobody in this day and age would normally wear), a religious sister can easily be recognized by her habit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.