Women's ordination

Why is this not allowed in the catholic church?

Just curious

I suppose this has been discussed quite frequently already, but anyway :wink:

To be a priest means to have part in the sacrament of (is it called like that?) holy orders, that bishops receive in full. The office of a bishop goes back to the first apostles, which have all been men- and in the opinion of the church, this was no coincidence.

Bein human is associated with being MALE or FEMALE, so I think it is no coincidence that Jesus was male, either. And the priest is called to represent Christ in the sacraments at his parish. If it was no coincidence that Christ was male, we shouldn’t add this coincidence by ordaining female priests.

The church has always hold this view and never ordained women, which is, at least for catholics, another argument - it is holy tradition.

And by the way: Yes, I am female. :slight_smile:

Lol ok, I wasn’t condemning or anything, I am a catholic, a friend of mine asked me this today and I wasn’t able to answer her.

Thanks for the answer!

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0201sbs.asp

Priests are living icons of Christ the Bridegroom.

You know, it’s just not the role that women get to play in the world. Same way as this: men don’t go into labor and deliver babies. Men don’t breastfeed. It’s simple as that. The role of men in the church is “Father.” The equaly important but unique and special role of women in the church is “Mother.” These are immutable roles which are intrinsically tied to one’s essense given gender.

CCC 1577 “Only a baptized man (vir) validly receives sacred ordination.” The Lord Jesus chose men (viri) to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.

… Why is this not allowed in the catholic church? …

Because the Pope said so in an infallible teaching that was to be held by all the faithful.

Yes we know that’s true, but JFonseka was asking for reasons which would convince a non-Catholic. Non-Catholics will simply ignore this reason, and what’s worse, giving that as the only reason will confirm in them the very common false impression that Catholicism consists of whatever the Popes make up on a whim. They need to see that JP2’s statement was the fruit of the Church’s constant magisterium based solidly on Scripture, sacred Tradition, and sound theology and philosophy about the nature of humans, of men, of women and of the priesthood.

Because the Church is His Bride and Christ is the Bridegroom.

Wouldn’t want a same-sex marriage now, would we? :smiley:

Here’s a question. How many women were members of the original Apostles, the ones that Jesus breathed upon and told them to “spread my word”? How many women died through the persecutions because they were Apostles of Jesus?

None.

That’s why there aren’t women priests. Jesus didn’t pick any women to be his apostles, to head His church. As Pope JPII said in 1994, the church doesn’t have the power to change that. And that is a definitive teaching.

There are more reasons, including some of what has been already written here. But the bottom line is, priests are the continuation of the line that Jesus started when he instituted the new, and everlasting covenant. Jesus picked his priests, and none of them were women. For good reasons. We can’t change that 2000 years later.

Period.

I just want to add my thoughts… :twocents:

It has always been God’s plan for man and woman to come together to produce life. Adam and Eve can give us physical life, but because they sinned they can’t give us everlasting life (or sanctifying grace) and hence we inherit that original sin.

But fear not. God has a plan for us. He wants us to have everlasting life. But true to His plan, He needs a male and a female. That male, is the New Adam (aka, Jesus! - The Bridgegroom) and the New Eve is His Bride (aka, The Church).

A priest shares is Christ’s nuptial relationship with The Church. As mentioned above in an earlier post, a female priest would be a same-sex marriage. And as we know, same-sex marriages cannot produce life!

(That’s why our marriages are sacraments; The physical life from our marriages is a sign of the spiritual life from that holy marriage.)

I have found Peter Kreeft’s talk, peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm to be extremely helpful especially in dealing with very intelligent people. Kreeft is what he calls, “an academic.”

He talks at great length about sexual symbolism and authentic masculinity and femininity. He is able to clearly explain that male and female are the result of masculine and feminine, not the reverse. Jesus is male because God is masculine. We are all feminine in our response to Him. Masculine means ‘to give,’ feminine means ‘to receive’ by God’s definition. As males and females we are called to fulfill these definitions. That is why priests are referred to as servants of the Church. They are called to give, “in Persona Christi.”

Blessings to you in understanding this amazing teaching, JFonseka. It has brought me to a deeper and more beautiful understanding of my own femininity, and a deeper understanding and appreciation of authentic masculinity.

Why would non-Catholics even care what Catholic procedures are?

Well, not on a whim but Christ DID promise that whatever the Church bound on earth would be bound in heaven and whatever they loosened on earth would be loosened in heaven.

The seven sacraments of the Catholic Church stem from Christ’s ministry. Christ did not ordain women; nor do we.

The Church is bigger than the Pope.

The church is led by the Pope. No Bishop, Cardinal or group of bishops and cardinals can over-rule him.

Unfortunately, bishops quite frequently do within their dioceses.

The Pope is neither democrat nor autocrat.

If the Pope suddenly proclaimed women’s ordination (just a hypothetical—can’t imagine it happening) ex cathedra schism would be the likely result.

As long as they don’t contradict universal church doctrine. Any bishop who attempted to ordain a woman would quickly find himself removed from his position by the Pope.

An existing Pope can not contradict an official teaching of a previous Pope. I am making reference to doctrines and dogmas – not disciplines and practices.

You are of course correct—just drawing out the clarification. It is a common misperception that the Pope is somehow completely unconstrained and can act on a whim. This is not the Episcopal Church, where the election of a bishop can overturn centuries of tradition in an instant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.