Women's 'skorts'?

Ahh... a life-changing question of immense philosophical import:

Does anyone know who might sell (fashionable) women's skorts- skirts with built-in, underlying shorts? I see lots of them for little girls, but not grown-ups. I like to wear skirts in the summer, but I'm always afraid the wind, or my 3-year-old, will climb up behind and leave me exposed. I know I could just wear bike shorts or something underneath, but I don't like those. Any ideas, modest ladies?

thanks!

Maybe Lands End or LL Bean?

If you don't like bike shorts, what about trying some soft cotton shorts underneath? Like the cotton cheer-style soffe shorts you can find at Sports Authority (or someplace similar?)

sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11573773&cp=3077569.3079702.2806308.2806333&parentPage=family

I've seen misses-size skorts at Wal-mart, but not with any regularity. Try googling "skort".

LOL girl they haven’t made those since the early nineties!

And how funny you say it, I went garage sale-ing with my mom the other weekend, and picked up a denim skort…with little zipper pockets on the sides, totally cute for 25 cents! I say we bring em’ back in style :cool:

A quick search and JCPenny’s has a bunch of them…

jcpenney.com/jcp/XGN.aspx?SearchString=skorts&JSEnabled=false&mscssid=&cmResetCat=true&hdnOnGo=true

Try buying online through amazon or some other retailer, but yeah they won’t be on the rack :smiley:

modestapparelusa.com/modest-clothing-for-women/skorts.html
gaiaconceptions.com/Category.php?category=skort

I get mine from Kohls. Several colors and good design and quality.

My wife has many, many skorts. She likes them a lot. I have no idea where she got them from. But they’re out there… :slight_smile:

What about skirlots? The are the rage!! :D:D:D

hmm..they are practical, but a bit short ?

[quote="smallcat, post:1, topic:241836"]
Ahh... a life-changing question of immense philosophical import:

Does anyone know who might sell (fashionable) women's skorts- skirts with built-in, underlying shorts? I see lots of them for little girls, but not grown-ups. I like to wear skirts in the summer, but I'm always afraid the wind, or my 3-year-old, will climb up behind and leave me exposed. I know I could just wear bike shorts or something underneath, but I don't like those. Any ideas, modest ladies?

thanks!

[/quote]

REI (Recreation Equipment Inc) would be your best bet.

rei.com/search?query=Skort&button.x=0&button.y=0

I get all my tech and camping gear from them. They sell reasonable well made products and never give you a hassle if you have to return something even years latter. I buy from myself all the time. You don't have to buy a membership but you do get a dividend on you purchases as the end of the year if you do and they give out members only coupons all the time.

Hope that helps.

Golf skirts often have built in shorts. Similar to tennis skirts, but longer (not quite knee length). I have also seen ‘skorts’ at various department stores this time of year. I usually see the type that look like shorts in the back and just have a panel that buttons across the front. I think those are the worst of both worlds and never wear them, but I have found the kind that is a skirt all the way around also.

Lands End has several styles - knit and twill, various lengths, including on just above the knees. I don’t wear shorts as a rule but might even try the longer ones. :slight_smile:

If you have a Sears near you that carried the Lands End stuff in the store, you can probably even find them “on the rack”.

I think they are making a come-back. My kids school has added them to the uniform list for the girls and is actually encouraging them as a more modest option (except on Mass days).

the trouble with most skorts is the skirt is in front only not on the back where I would really like the coverage, if you know what I mean. Better bets are golf or tennis skirts with a built in short (not tankini style, with just a panty, but a short at least a 9" inseam, any shorter seams to ride up)

In plus sizes I just saw them on Avenue, try Lands end & LL Bean

[quote="Monica4316, post:10, topic:241836"]
hmm..they are practical, but a bit short ?

[/quote]

If you're referring to MyCulottes.com, they're customizable vis-a-vis size and length. I have a pair from them that end right above my ankles. They're brilliant!:D

[quote="Cristiano, post:9, topic:241836"]
What about skirlots? The are the rage!! :D:D:D

[/quote]

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this link. I wracked my brain this morning trying to remember where I'd gotten a pair of culottes last summer, and it was this place. I love my pair! I highly, highly recommend this place!

And to any plus- and super-plus sized ladies here: MyCulottes.com was wonderful to work with to make a comfortable, flattering pair of culottes for me. They were able to go up two sizes than what they put on their website, and they made my pair almost ten inches longer than their standard length. :D:D

[quote="karow, post:15, topic:241836"]
If you're referring to MyCulottes.com, they're customizable vis-a-vis size and length. I have a pair from them that end right above my ankles. They're brilliant!:D

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this link. I wracked my brain this morning trying to remember where I'd gotten a pair of culottes last summer, and it was this place. I love my pair! I highly, highly recommend this place!

And to any plus- and super-plus sized ladies here: MyCulottes.com was wonderful to work with to make a comfortable, flattering pair of culottes for me. They were able to go up two sizes than what they put on their website, and they made my pair almost ten inches longer than their standard length. :D:D

[/quote]

This is becoming really embarrassing! I am a guy and I posted this link because I saw it mentioned on a Catholic Blog a couple of days ago and it made me think of the "Skirlot of Rome". It was not meant to be a useful input. :o

The skorts out there now for grown women are more along the lines of feminine fitness shorts. They're sports clothes, so they're shorter than street clothes. Title Nine has them, and you can see they're quite a bit shorter than their regular skirts:
titlenine.com/category/womens-bottoms/skorts-skirts.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

If you can't find anything long enough, you could probably get some lightweight bike pants, and wear those under a skirt. (This is essentially what I did when I wore a dress to grade school....monkeybar safe!) Otherwise, you could wear something really long and billowy, which is also the style now, and not have to worry about it.

[quote="EasterJoy, post:17, topic:241836"]
The skorts out there now for grown women are more along the lines of feminine fitness shorts. They're sports clothes, so they're shorter than street clothes. Title Nine has them, and you can see they're quite a bit shorter than their regular skirts:
titlenine.com/category/womens-bottoms/skorts-skirts.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

If you can't find anything long enough, you could probably get some lightweight bike pants, and wear those under a skirt. (This is essentially what I did when I wore a dress to grade school....monkeybar safe!) Otherwise, you could wear something really long and billowy, which is also the style now, and not have to worry about it.

[/quote]

modestapparelusa.com/modest-clothing-for-women/skorts.html

They sell long skorts. :D

I also found some at Kohl’s. They came to the top of the knees and looked like a skirt all the way around.

If you have good legs, a skort is cute. Not so good legs, go with capris. They are cooler than long pants but not revealing like above the knee shorts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.