Wondering about converts and ecclisiastical divorce

a different thread on here got my brain pondering a question… :confused: Since the Eastern Orthodox church is one of the few exeptions to the Catholic rules with regardsh having Valid sacraments I was wondering the following…
If an Orthodox couple were married in the Eastern Orthodox church and then obtained a civil divorce and an Orthodox Ecclisiastical Divorce through their tribunal(which It is my understanding is an after the fact annulment for Orthodox Chrisitans) and then one of the persons gets remaried to another Eastern Orthodx Christian in an E.O. Ceremony.
(all of this is done correctly according to Eastern Orthodox laws).

Now, say the couple decides to convert and become Roman Catholic. Would the Catholic church recognize this marriage and allow the couple to make the profession of faith and join the Catholic church or would the couple have to go through the Catholic anulment process from the previously ecclisiasticaly divorced marrige ?

I know this sounds confusing but after reading a few threads on this topic with differnt denominations and such I was just wondering?:confused:

gee, I hope I posted this question in the right forum.

Just as members of Orthodox Churches are often the exceptions to Catholic rules, Orthodox divorce canons are likewise an exception to the exception. The Church does indeed recognize Orthodox sacraments, but not Orthodox divorces. A couple in the (final) situation you’ve described would have to go through the annulment process.

Just as members of Orthodox Churches are often the exceptions to Catholic rules, Orthodox divorce canons are likewise an exception to the exception. The Church does indeed recognize Orthodox sacraments, but not Orthodox divorces. A couple in the (final) situation you’ve described would have to go through the annulment process.

so does that mean that the rule applying to Orthodox who ask for Catholic sacraments (ie: Holy communion)of their own accord permitting they are properly prepared would actually no longer be eligible because of the outstanding divorce and remarriage situation ? ie

That would very much depend on the individual persons involved and the circumstances.

Under “normal” circumstances what you posted would be correct. Orthodox Christians would have to be properly disposed according to the Catholic understanding. In danger of death, these sacraments would be allowed, but confession (or at least the minimal form of absolution) should always precede Communion.

In the Orthodox Church, there is a form for a second marriage, which is used ONLY when both parties have been married in the Orthodox Church before, and prievious marriages were terminated by being divorced or widowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.