Wondering About Sloth?

Ok so I am 16 and I recently went to my confessor and asked him about my lifestyle and whether it was slothful and he said it wasn't too bad as long as I leave time for my studies and education here is my lifestyle:

So I am still at school get up watch TV an hour, get ready leave at 8am for school come back most nights at 4pm, some nights later for in school revision, I then have dinner, wash up/dry up, feed my dog, then I revise for an hour for my upcoming exams and then do any homework if it Needs to be done, then from around 6pm to 9pm I go onto my laptop and play video games with my friends or watch some youtube videos or make some, 9pm I come off my laptop watch TV then at 10 I read for around half an hour (Currently Reading The Hobbit It's A Great Book!) then sleep and repeat this on school days.
I also say a prayer every morning and night before I go to bed and before I leave for school.
On weekends I get up, have breakfast ask my parents if they need anything done or need any help if not then I usually just watch TV while eating breakfast or something similar, then at Midday I get my revision book out revise for another hour and yet again do any homework that needs to be done, while listening to music or white noise or something, then I go onto my laptop for the rest of the day mainly while talking to some of my friends and generally relaxing/chilling/messing about with the exception of Church and Dinner and then the washing up.

I have a 2 weeks left at school before I leave for 3 months and go into the Sixth Form to do A Levels, once my exams (They are my final GCSE Tests I think they are called Finals in America) are finished I am planning to replace those hours in which I do revision and homework and do exercise such as jogging, walking my dog (As I will have that time to do it).

When I told my priest about this and asked if my lifestyle was slothful he said as long as I leave time and space for me to do my studies/revision and homework then it is not too bad, but I don't know there is still one part of my thats worrying so can any of you answer me am I just pointlessly worrying for no reason.
I guess I am kinda looking for peace of mind but if any of you could answer me it would be great.

FinalCountdown,

You're fine - listen to your confessor.

Looking at your previous posts it seems (to me) that you may tend towards scrupulosity so you may be worrying about this a little more than is warranted. If you pray, attend to your schoolwork, and obey your parents you are doing well.

Again, listen to your confessor. He certainly knows you better than some folks on the internet.

May God bless you and keep you.

[quote="Mary_Ellen, post:2, topic:326105"]
FinalCountdown,

You're fine - listen to your confessor.

Looking at your previous posts it seems (to me) that you may tend towards scrupulosity so you may be worrying about this a little more than is warranted. If you pray, attend to your schoolwork, and obey your parents you are doing well.

Again, listen to your confessor. He certainly knows you better than some folks on the internet.

May God bless you and keep you.

[/quote]

Thank You For Your Answer, I have talked to him and I am scrupulous, I also suffer about anxiety and most things in all honesty but I am making progress but sometimes certain things just make me wonder.
Thank you for your time.
-Michael

No, I'm not "wondering" about sloth.
I AM sloth, I embody it, my picture is in the dictionary.
Where's my cookies...?

[quote="clem456, post:4, topic:326105"]
No, I'm not "wondering" about sloth.
I AM sloth, I embody it, my picture is in the dictionary.
Where's my cookies...?

[/quote]

I'm just confused now, what do you mean?

Entirely beyond worrying about sloth or scrupulosity, but to the OP - do you ever get any exercise? You are awfully young to not be going hiking, running, taking fitness classes, or trying your hand at wall climbing, kayaking, playing on a youth volleyball team, basketball, badminton, etc. Maybe you left that out of your daily schedule as reported. But it seems to be a big problem with many young people these days.

Staying active will increase endorphin levels and reduce depression, anxiety and since scrupulosity is part of an anxiety disorder, it should be diminished as well.

Sorry, climbing down from my soap box now. Actually nimbly hopping off as fitness is a big thing in our household. Can you tell????

Clem is messing with you. He just means he is wrestling with sloth himself.

[quote="sojo, post:6, topic:326105"]
Entirely beyond worrying about sloth or scrupulosity, but to the OP - do you ever get any exercise? You are awfully young to not be going hiking, running, taking fitness classes, or trying your hand at wall climbing, kayaking, playing on a youth volleyball team, basketball, badminton, etc. Maybe you left that out of your daily schedule as reported. But it seems to be a big problem with many young people these days.

Staying active will increase endorphin levels and reduce depression, anxiety and since scrupulosity is part of an anxiety disorder, it should be diminished as well.

Sorry, climbing down from my soap box now. Actually nimbly hopping off as fitness is a big thing in our household. Can you tell????

[/quote]

I walk from school to my home 30 mins maybe walk sometimes I walk both to school and from school, and other than PE I don't really do any other Exercise other than perhaps a small set of chin ups, thats why when my exams are over and I have free time I am going to go out and do some exercise and such, a problem also though is not a lot of my friends do exercise which I suppose perhaps why I haven't actually started doing any, but I used to love swimming so perhaps I'll go jogging get used to exercise and then get back into going to the swimming pool and doing something I enjoy doing while also keeping myself fit thanks for the answer.

[quote="Mary_Ellen, post:7, topic:326105"]
Clem is messing with you. He just means he is wrestling with sloth himself.

[/quote]

Ah ok thank you for clarifying, I read the post and was like....Well what does that mean

I feel so stupid now lol, thanks yet again

Ah! A swimmer - yes, get thee back into the pool! We are a family of swimmers. It is glorious exercise, relaxing yet good for the heart and lungs and all the muscles in the body. I've done a fair amount of communing with God while staring down at the bottom of a pool for lap after lap. We swimmers are in a league of our own.

Prayer and the sacraments, good food, exercise, fellowship with friends and family, trying to help others and charitable works, attending to studies... what more is missing? Ah yes - a sufficient amount of time devoted to a good belly laugh. I highly recommend one start by spending time laughing at one's self. Its the easiest route, at least for me, as there is never any lack of material.

You are doing fine. Just keep a close eye on that scrupulosity thing and try to chill. Easier said than done, I know.

[quote="sojo, post:10, topic:326105"]
Ah! A swimmer - yes, get thee back into the pool! We are a family of swimmers. It is glorious exercise, relaxing yet good for the heart and lungs and all the muscles in the body. I've done a fair amount of communing with God while staring down at the bottom of a pool for lap after lap. We swimmers are in a league of our own.

Prayer and the sacraments, good food, exercise, fellowship with friends and family, trying to help others and charitable works, attending to studies... what more is missing? Ah yes - a sufficient amount of time devoted to a good belly laugh. I highly recommend one start by spending time laughing at one's self. Its the easiest route, at least for me, as there is never any lack of material.

You are doing fine. Just keep a close eye on that scrupulosity thing and try to chill. Easier said than done, I know.

[/quote]

Yeah I would like to get back in the pool but I feel in order for me to properly enjoy swimming I gotta get back into normal exercise first but I'm looking forward to it, and the whole thing with laughing at yourself, well if you can't laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at? But thank you for your answers and your structure and your patience.

-Michael

If you tend to scrupulosity, definitely listen to your confessor who understands your situation. Scrupulosity can be an awful burden.
BTW, if you have Netflicks, The Final Countdown is a good movie about an aircraft carrier and a time warp.

[quote="FinalCountdown, post:5, topic:326105"]
I'm just confused now, what do you mean?

[/quote]

l apologize, I was not trying to mess with you specifically. I struggle with time wasting activities. I used to beat myself up over it. I don't do that anymore. I do my best and trust God take care of it.

I have to go, I lost a cookie in my recliner, down by where the beer bottle caps are hidden. (I struggle with gluttony also)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.