Wondering? Confession

So I was away from the Sacrament for my young adult and early married life. When I returned I don't think I really knew how to examen my conscious and make a good confession. I was unfortunately one of those " it has been 15 years and I haven't done much"....yikes, far from the truth. Thanks to the grace of God I slowly put together confessions over a period of years that covered my big sins.....but, when I read about withholding some sins a confession makes it invalid and your sins arent forgive it makes me wonder. (And there is no question I withheld things, even answered a priests question with a lie once because I didn't have the nerve to admit ). So, what is a girl to do?

Go to Confession. Confess that you deliberately withheld your sins, and confess those sins, if you can remember them. Be honest with your priest, and if he asks for more clarification for your sins, give it to him.

God bless.

[quote="maggiemoo, post:1, topic:308314"]
So I was away from the Sacrament for my young adult and early married life. When I returned I don't think I really knew how to examen my conscious and make a good confession. I was unfortunately one of those " it has been 15 years and I haven't done much"....yikes, far from the truth. Thanks to the grace of God I slowly put together confessions over a period of years that covered my big sins.....but, when I read about withholding some sins a confession makes it invalid and your sins arent forgive it makes me wonder. (And there is no question I withheld things, even answered a priests question with a lie once because I didn't have the nerve to admit ). So, what is a girl to do?

[/quote]

Go back try again and add on where you withheld some sins.

Okay, I should have clarified. I have "fessed up" to everything. But I denied x sin to a priest, then confessed x, but left out y, eventually confessed y, but didn't go back and mention x.

I guess I have to go back and do it all together? OR, is the fact that they have all been confessed, just in a very messy way okay?

[quote="maggiemoo, post:4, topic:308314"]
Okay, I should have clarified. I have "fessed up" to everything. But I denied x sin to a priest, then confessed x, but left out y, eventually confessed y, but didn't go back and mention x.

I guess I have to go back and do it all together? OR, is the fact that they have all been confessed, just in a very messy way okay?

[/quote]

Well if you forgot it then it is forgiven if i remember correctly.

Yes, I think you are right....but that is the problem...I didn't forget...I just choose to clear up one thing at a time. Actually, I don't want to make an excuse, but I don't know when I returned that I really knew what I was doing. I think the priest who asked me a question I dodged was smart enough to know there had to be more. I was so taken aback that a priest would ask you questions, I didn't answer honestly. I want to blame this whole mess on my not knowing/understanding the rules, but at the same time I don't want to suffer eternally for them.
Thank you.

[quote="maggiemoo, post:4, topic:308314"]
But I denied x sin to a priest, then confessed x, but left out y, eventually confessed y, but didn't go back and mention x.

[/quote]

X has been confessed, and Y has been confessed. Done deal.

[quote="maggiemoo, post:6, topic:308314"]
Yes, I think you are right....but that is the problem...I didn't forget...I just choose to clear up one thing at a time. Actually, I don't want to make an excuse, but I don't know when I returned that I really knew what I was doing. I think the priest who asked me a question I dodged was smart enough to know there had to be more. I was so taken aback that a priest would ask you questions, I didn't answer honestly. I want to blame this whole mess on my not knowing/understanding the rules, but at the same time I don't want to suffer eternally for them.
Thank you.

[/quote]

I would advise you to ask a apologist on here. They will give you all the info you need. I dont want to say something and be wrong. I would also ask a priest in case you are still confused.

[quote="maggiemoo, post:1, topic:308314"]

[/quote]

Baltimore Catechism No. 3
Q. 607. Give an example of the "right dispositions" for Penance and for the Holy Eucharist.

A. The right dispositions for Penance are:

To confess all our mortal sins as we know them;
    To be sorry for them, and
    To have the determination never to commit them or others again.

Q. 797. Why is it foolish to conceal sins in confession?

A. It is foolish to conceal sins in confession:

Because we thereby make our spiritual condition worse;
    We must tell the sin sometime if we ever hope to be saved;
    It will be made known on the day of judgment, before the world, whether we conceal it now or confess it.

Q. 798. What must he do who has willfully concealed a mortal sin in Confession?

A. He who has willfully concealed a mortal sin in Confession must not only confess it, but must also repeat all the sins he has committed since his last worthy Confession.

Q. 799. Must one who has willfully concealed a mortal sin in confession do more than repeat the sins committed since his last worthy confession?

A. One who has willfully concealed a mortal sin in confession must, besides repeating all the sins he has committed since his last worthy confession, tell also how often he has unworthily received absolution and Holy Communion during the same time.
op54rosary.ning.com/profiles/blogs/baltimore-catechism-no-3-part-iii

My honest advice to you would be to make a general confession. Call up your local priest and set a time with him. This isn't a two minute "car wash" confession, so you owe it to the priest and to yourself to schedule more time. Just get it all out there. And then forget about it. You'll be glad you did.

[quote="buc_fan33, post:10, topic:308314"]
My honest advice to you would be to make a general confession. Call up your local priest and set a time with him. This isn't a two minute "car wash" confession, so you owe it to the priest and to yourself to schedule more time. Just get it all out there. And then forget about it. You'll be glad you did.

[/quote]

this says it!!

[quote="buc_fan33, post:10, topic:308314"]

[/quote]

Well, I can't say that is really what I want to do, but the whole situation has weighted on me for the past several years and I don't think I will be able to just ignore it. Yuck. Pray for me, that I can follow up with this and finally put this to rest.

[quote="maggiemoo, post:12, topic:308314"]
Well, I can't say that is really what I want to do, but the whole situation has weighted on me for the past several years and I don't think I will be able to just ignore it. Yuck. Pray for me, that I can follow up with this and finally put this to rest.

[/quote]

I can understand about it being hard to go to confession sometimes but you will feel so much better afterward. Ill pray for you :thumbsup:

[quote="maggiemoo, post:12, topic:308314"]

[/quote]

Praying! And eager to see your post telling us you did follow through!

Taken care of.

[quote="maggiemoo, post:15, topic:308314"]
Taken care of.

[/quote]

:)

[quote="Incomplete, post:16, topic:308314"]
:)

[/quote]

Yes, I know!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.