Wondering What To Do

My family strives to be a good Catholic family - attend Mass faithfully, receive the Sacraments, teach and assist with Religious Education, give to Church and other charities, volunteer, etc. My kids are expected to participate in all of these activities.

Right now, we are struggling with the path on which God is trying to place my daughter. She has recently had two disappointments at school with things she has tried and been unsuccessful (she is still a very good student). There are now very few options left for her to be involved in things outside of academics next year. There is one opportunity that we are still praying about and hope that she will be blessed to receive.

I know that she has faith but lately, a couple of times, I have seen her want to sleep in on Sunday rather than go to Church. It is difficult to be young and experience disappointments when you see your friends succeed so easily. Many of those who do - do not attend church regularly, do not volunteer and they donate time and money only occassionally.

This has been a cause of great worry and stress for me. I am very anxious about what she will do next year and I am finding it hard to be patient and allow God to reveal His plan. I pray faithfully every day and also attend Daily Mass as I can.

To be honest, I am probably more worried than she is right now because I know how difficult it can be at school when you do not belong to something. Some of the things she is considered I know are not a good fit for her because I know what she enjoys and I have talked to other parents with kids in those activities. I am uncertain as to whether or not we should just allow her to try and see how it goes.

If anyone has experience in this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight. How much should I guide her choices, should I just leave it in God's hands and let the chips fall where they may and how do I help her keep her faith in these difficult situations?

Thank you all.

[quote="wonderingmom, post:1, topic:238287"]
My family strives to be a good Catholic family - attend Mass faithfully, receive the Sacraments, teach and assist with Religious Education, give to Church and other charities, volunteer, etc. My kids are expected to participate in all of these activities.

Right now, we are struggling with the path on which God is trying to place my daughter. She has recently had two disappointments at school with things she has tried and been unsuccessful (she is still a very good student). There are now very few options left for her to be involved in things outside of academics next year. There is one opportunity that we are still praying about and hope that she will be blessed to receive.

I know that she has faith but lately, a couple of times, I have seen her want to sleep in on Sunday rather than go to Church. It is difficult to be young and experience disappointments when you see your friends succeed so easily. Many of those who do - do not attend church regularly, do not volunteer and they donate time and money only occassionally.

This has been a cause of great worry and stress for me. I am very anxious about what she will do next year and I am finding it hard to be patient and allow God to reveal His plan. I pray faithfully every day and also attend Daily Mass as I can.
To be honest, I am probably more worried than she is right now because I know how difficult it can be at school when you do not belong to something**. Some of the things she is considered I know are not a good fit for her because I know what she enjoys and I have talked to other parents with kids in those activities. I am uncertain as to whether or not we should just allow her to try and see how it goes.

If anyone has experience in this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight. How much should I guide her choices, should I just leave it in God's hands and let the chips fall where they may and how do I help her keep her faith in these difficult situations?

Thank you all.

[/quote]

I think you have left out some important details. How old is your daughter? In what grade in school? Does she have friends at school and outside of school? How does she handle the disappointment?

One important thing that you said is that YOU are more worried than she is. That is your cue to back off and let her handle her life, and what happens in it. I think it depends a lot on how old she is, how much I would say let her own her life.

Each of my boys took a while to find their place. There were several false starts regarding relationships and their life and faith journeys.

It's very hard for us parents to adapt and accept...and to wait. We love our children, small and adult, beyond anything we can say.
We, some of us, cry secret tears, we wake and go to sleep with aching hearts, we pray our hearts out, we have disturbed sleep.
We want to fix things but we can't. We have to grow, and our children, young and adult, have to grow. Not that it gets easier, I think...

I ask our dear Lord to give peace and blessings to you and to your daughter.
May God protect and bless you both.

What a lovely and affirming post. Parenting is hard! When my sons were small I thought that was the hard part. Ha! Things get a lot more complicated as they grow up…I’ve cried more than secret tears!

My comfort has been that God made us to learn through making mistakes, and that if I interfere with my sons’ process of learning, it just takes longer for God to show them His will.

Why would I want to interfere with God’s will in their lives? It is difficult to do but I hope I have a little grace as I also learn.

:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.