Woolly mammoth on verge of resurrection, scientists reveal

The woolly mammoth vanished from the Earth 4,000 years ago, but now scientists say they are on the brink of resurrecting the ancient beast in a revised form, through an ambitious feat of genetic engineering.

Speaking ahead of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in Boston this week, the scientist leading the “de-extinction” effort said the Harvard team is just two years away from creating a hybrid embryo, in which mammoth traits would be programmed into an Asian elephant.

“Our aim is to produce a hybrid elephant-mammoth embryo,” said Prof George Church. “Actually, it would be more like an elephant with a number of mammoth traits. We’re not there yet, but it could happen in a couple of years.”

The creature, sometimes referred to as a “mammophant”, would be partly elephant, but with features such as small ears, subcutaneous fat, long shaggy hair and cold-adapted blood. The mammoth genes for these traits are spliced into the elephant DNA using the powerful gene-editing tool, Crispr.

Until now, the team have stopped at the cell stage, but are now moving towards creating embryos – although, they said that it would be many years before any serious attempt at producing a living creature.

“We’re working on ways to evaluate the impact of all these edits and basically trying to establish embryogenesis in the lab,” said Church.

More:
theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/16/woolly-mammoth-resurrection-scientists

:signofcross:
God, please help us!
:signofcross:

Been on the brink of doing this with different animals for decades. Especially the Tasmanian Tiger.

Havent succeeded yet.

Why would anyone want to? For what purpose? Cure cancer first then they can play around with their chemistry sets. Peace.

Wouldn’t real logical serious scientist insist on correct terminology? Resurrection is not descriptive of the situation.

Cancer can’t be cured.

I have no problem exploring ways to help bring back things that went extinct. That may come in handy someday…

Well, this process proves promising for curing AIDS/HIV… Presumably one could target any retrovirus with this method.
google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4340722/hiv-removed-using-crispr/

Similar method, CSISPR. Different sections of DNA targeted.

This is very interesting and I’d love to see what scientists can come up with. I watch with caution.

The Jurassic Park gates are now at 2 minutes till midnight…

We already have their descendants on earth…they are called elephants.

We don’t need to resurrect wooly mammoths.

I’m gonna be the first person to ride one.

Cool…Also see below.

Scientists edge closer to bringing back the aurochs, the fearsome cattle breed last seen in the 1600s

nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/world/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/world/scientists-edge-closer-to-bringing-back-the-auroch-the-fearsome-cattle-breed-last-seen-in-the-1600s

What about the dodo?

I think they would be up for giving rides!:wink:

I recall seeing a show on TV about how the Nazis tried to do this same thing with the aurochs, and succeeded at least in part. But the resulting animals were mean beyond belief and posed a danger to anyone who ventured into their domain.

For myself, I can easily do without them.

And if the museum skeletons of mammoths are anywhere near accurate, I can do without them as well.

Not sure what you mean about mammoths, they are huge, but from what Ive read they are similar to elephants, I dont think having them around today would cause any big problems, they would just do what they did when they were alive, graze, move around, mate, etc…?

Although if they are successful at this, I doubt they will stop at the mammoth, I think they will eventually try to bring back some type of dinosaur, in fact I remember reading many years ago there was a group trying to genetically create a dinosaur looking thing starting with an ostrich. It would not be a real dinosaur, but it would be large, look and act like a dinosaur and jump to the top of the food chain. lol

I think the idea is cool and have no problem with them resurrecting a few of them. But we should not try to resurrect a species and reintroduce it into the wild. That could have serious consequences for the ecosystem.

The Tauros Programme is an attempt to bring back the aurochs. They are “back breeding” modern cattle to get the aurochs traits though, not editing DNA.

Consequences to the ecosystem do not necessarily have to be bad. Reintroducing species into the wild could help certain ecosystems that are in trouble.

Accounting for unintended consequences is what to watch out for which can be a tricky business I will admit.

In the end, it will probably just taste like chicken.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.