Word 'generation' meaning more than 40 years

Can anyone point me to somewhere in the Bible where generation means more that the typical 40 years as in Numbers 32:13

Yahweh's anger being aroused by Israel, he made them wander in the desert for forty years, until the generation that offended Yahweh had all disappeared.

such as the generation being referred to here.

"Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."
Matthew 24:34

I don't know where it would be more than 40 years. But in Genesis 1-11, the ages are much greater--most of the patriarchs in Gen 4 are between 60 and 200 when they had their first son, and they lived up to nearly 1000 years, while in Gen 11 the ages dwindle to 200 years. So in those days, a generation would be rather more than 40 years.

I understand a generation is the time from when a child is born until that child generates a child of his or her own.

[quote="kkollwitz, post:3, topic:318122"]
I understand a generation is the time from when a child is born until that child generates a child of his or her own.

[/quote]

excellent reasoning. makes sense....about twenty years, then.

Would that relate somehow to a "score" of years?

I’ve always used 20 as an estimate.

I think I found a reference to generation that means more than the standard recognized time span.

this is the generation of them that seek the Lord. (Psalm xxiii, ver. 6.)

This is good as it helps me explain this line better.

"Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."
Matthew 24:34

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.