Wording for Act of Contrition

The last time I went to Confession, the priest told me that we are not required to use any specific language when we make our act of contrition. I was just wondering if anyone out there had some favorite language that they would be willing to share.

I know we are required to express sorrow for our sins, and to express our desire to avoid sinning in the future; but I haven’t come up with any specific language that speaks to me spiritually.

Well, this is the one I learned. "Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee and I detest all of my sins because of Thy just punishment, but most of all, because, they offend Thee, My God, who art all good and worthy of all my love. I humbly resolve with the help of Thy Grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.

This is what I learned back in the 50s and I still use it.

I just use the Act of Contritition that I learned a million years ago in school. “Oh my God, I am heartily sorry…” I guess I did learn something in Catholic school in the 70’s. I’m nervous enough in the confessional, so it is reassuring to just have something that I don’t have to think too hard about.

Sometimes the OLD ways are the best!

You can also use:

O my God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and in failing to do good, I have sinned against you, whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads to sin. Our Saviour Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.
Amen.

I guess the tried and true version(s) have stood the test of time for a reason. For someone who has been going to a reconciliation service, wherein a communal act of contrition is made, I have never memorized an individual one, and the traditional one seems wordy. I guess that is the shortest way to say what needs to be said. I should probably just make an effort to memorize it. Do you think a priest would mind if I read it during confession? Does anyone use non-traditional wording when making an act of contrition?

In our Confessional at the local church the wording of the Act of Contrition is beside where we kneel so anyone who cannot remember it can simply read it.

How about…

Deus meus, ex toto corde poenitet… :smiley:

(I can post the rest if you want…)

[quote=irish1]. Do you think a priest would mind if I read it during confession? ?
[/quote]

Probably not. If you’re behind the screen, he doesn’t necessarily have to know. Here’s a link to a credit card sized copy that you can take with you.

Good luck.

[quote=irish1] Do you think a priest would mind if I read it during confession? Does anyone use non-traditional wording when making an act of contrition?
[/quote]

Read away. I’ve done it in the past. I use non-traditional wording in that what I have memorized is a cross between the older version and the newer version. Parts of Psalm 51 could be a nice replacement for the traditional formula, and I have posted one part below, but I think most everyone does the standard formula.

Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity And cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me. 4 Against You, You only, I have sinned And done what is evil in Your sight, So that You are justified when You speak And blameless when You judge.

[quote=irish1]I was just wondering if anyone out there had some favorite language that they would be willing to share.
[/quote]

One of my own creation that I use from time to time (I’m quite embarassed to “do my own thing” when I’m with an unfamiliar priest):

*O Heavenly Father, You know the sorrow of my heart for the sins I have committed against You.

I thank You, Lord Jesus Christ, for Your sacrifice through which I may find forgiveness.

And I beg You, Lord Holy Spirit, to grant me the graces I need to sin no more.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.