Words of Absolution

Do slight changes of the words of absolution make the absolution invalid?

The official words of absolution are:

I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

What about: “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Or: “I absolve you from all your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Do these variations make the absolution invalid?

Frankly, I never paid to much attention to how the priest delivered the words, I was just thankful that my sins were absolved and I think that’s really all you need to be concerned about, in my opinion. I do not see anything abusive in your examples, so I would say those small variations would not invalidate the absolution.

They would all still be valid absolutions.

Does the Church have some catechetical obligation to reassure the faithful that prepositions and adjectives don’t invalidate a sacrament?

No I would not say they would be invalid. But the Priest should of course use the exact form :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.