Words of Consecration - Do this and remember me? Is it ok?

If the priest says “Do this and remember me” instead of “do this in memory of me”, at the consecration, is this ok? The meaning of the two phrases seems different. The pastor at my new parish has done this 3 times that I know of and it seems to be his standard way of performing the consecration. If he is wrong, how can I approach him and be taken seriously. The parish is huge and from experience at other parishes, one person complaining about something never seems to get anywhere. I don’t know that many people yet and I don’t know if anyone I have met would join me in my confrontation, (if I need to do that), so what should I do? Thank you for your important service you provide.

Dear T,

The words he is using are illicit. They go against the liturgical norms. But the consecration is still valid because he is clearly expressing what the Church intends with the consecration. He is saying, “This id my Body” and “This is my Blood.”

He has absolutley no authority to change ANY of the words. Canon 846 of the code of canon law states: “The liturgical books approved by the competent authority are to be faithfully observed in the celebration of the sacraments; therefore, no one on personal authority may add, remove, or change anything in them.”

You might want to wait until you are more familar with the parish before approaching him. Depending on his response, you may want to notify the bishop.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.