Words of St. Joseph

Hello!

I read in a Catholic book that we have no account of anything St. Joseph said. Is this true? Thank you!

• SnowAngels

Yes, Scripture does not record a single word to come from St Joseph’s mouth. Additionally, he remains silent in all his apparitions (Knock and the first vision of Fatima). For me, at least, this symbolizes the fact that St Joseph takes the “backstage” of the Holy Family, silently and humbly supporting us and the Church.

Yet he participated in a marriage with Mary, got the donkey, went to Bethlehem, looked for food and a place to stay, maybe participated in the census, met with some shepherds and magi, fled to Egypt, raised his foster Son, worked as a carpenter, went to temple…I’m sure he said many things.

I didn’t mean to say that St Joseph never said anything, or was somehow mute. Rather, I simply meant that Scripture does not record anything St Joseph said, nor does any other document from that time.

Not quite. I know that St. Joseph spoke to St. Faustina, as written in her Diary:

1203 Saint Joseph urged me to have a constant devotion to him. He himself told me to recite three prayers [the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be] and the *Memorare *once every day. He looked at me with great kindness and gave me to know how much he is supporting this work [of mercy]. He has promised me this special help and protection. I recite the requested prayers every day and feel his special protection.

Cool! I don’t know that much about St Faustina, so this was new to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.