Words of St. JPII to ponder and pray on today's Feast of the Cross

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today, Sept. 14, is the Feast of the Triumph (or Exaltation) of the Holy Cross. The following words were spoken by Pope St. John Paul II on May 3, 2000 (Feast of the Finding of the True Cross). You may be familiar with them. I copied them into the back of my Bible and am blessed each time I read them. May they bless each one today who reads them, and if you think these words can bless another person, please share them:

The revelation of the glory of the Trinity in the passion of Jesus becomes a promise – that our pain and darkness, too, can become a dialogue of love, in which there shines forth in our lives, the glory of the Trinity. – Pope St. John Paul II, May 2, 2000.

Mary, Praise of the Trinity, pray with us and for us.
Jesus, we trust in You.

Thank you MariaChristi … what a glorious day. I shared those words with others that I know … thank you again.

I appreciate that quote. I printed it out and plan to share it at the next Scriptural Rosary group on Monday coming.

Thanks and blessings to you,

Dorothy

Dear Katherine,

Thanks for your reply and also for sharing the wisdom of St. JPII with some others. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply, Dorothy. I have been blessed by those words from the first day I read them. As I wrote in the OP, I copied into my Bible so I could look at those words, often. We learn much in suffering, if we can look at the crucifix and unite ourselves with Jesus in His suffering, it seems to me.

I’m Happy you’ll share it with your Rosary group. I find myself praying the Sorrowful Mysteries more and more.

Blessings to you and may you be a blessing to all you meet. :slight_smile:

Came across this quote in the Magnificat very powerful words.

“Basically the mystery of the cross isn’t a mystery of strength but a mystery of helplessness. It is a victory, to be sure, but a victory hidden even from the eyes of the victor, a victory having every appearance and all the taste of defeat, and experienced as a defeat.
The cross isn’t a mystery of bravery but a mystery of love. It doesn’t consist in suffering courageously, nor merely in suffering, full stop, but in being afraid of suffering; it doesn’t consist in overcoming an obstacle but in being crushed by it; not in being strong and noble hearted but in being small and absurd in one’s own eyes; not in deploying virtue but in seeing all one’s virtues routed and pulverized; and in accepting all this lovingly. And in accepting lovingly to be strengthless; strength is no use, love is what’s needed.
So we shan’t reach the goal by gritting our teeth since if we are capable of gritting our teeth, this means that we are strong, and all the while we are strong with this kind of strength we still don’t know what the cross is all about. Christ didn’t grit his teeth to go to his Passion, he didn’t pluck up his courage, he knew very well that he couldn’t. He merely said: Father, your will be done, not mine, which is something of a different order, of a different world, the world of love. And not merely love of the human sort, but a love commensurate with God, of God’s sort that is to say, love of a sort we can never produce ourselves. This sort of love isn’t ours to give. God has to breather it into us, he has to come into us to love himself.”

(Father Bernard Bro, O.P.)

MariaChristi,

Speaking of the Sorrowful Mysteries…you and others may like this site where the recorded Sorrowful Mysteries that he vocalized are sincerely beautiful and so appropriate for today. The site has perpetual adoration as well.

fortheloveofgodworldwide.org/prayer-practices/24-hour-perpetual-adoration-24-hour-online-rosary/

Peace and Blessings,

Dorothy

Dear De_Montfort,

Certainly, seeing St. John Paul II suffering, yet continuing to walk his way of the Cross in love, was a great example for us. Love is the essence of every Saint’s life, and must be the essence of our lives as well. As Scripture reminds us: “If I have not love, I gain nothing”.(cf 1 Cor 13:3)

Thanks for the quote for it can help us guard against being merely “stoics” or trying to be “tough” out of pride. Love is humble. It looks to God with the trust of a child knowing His Father will provide.

Dear Dorothy,

Thanks so much for the link I will take a look/listen and share it with others. Blessings on today’s Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows! (Sept. 15).

“…Holy Mother, pierce me through,
In my soul, each wound renew,
Of my Savior Crucified…” (from Stabat Mater)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.