Words of the consecration?

I read here a while ago that there is a big problem if a priest changes the words of the consecration. Am I right in thinking the words of the consecration is when the priest repeats Jesus’ words “this is my body” and “this is my blood”? In the second bit, it is usually said something like “…shed for you and for all, so that sins may be forgiven”. But recently I was at Mass and the priest said “…shed for you and for all people, so that sins may be forgiven”.
Is there a problem with this?

There is a problem: priests are not permitted to change the prayers of the Mass as they like. It is illicit (illegal, wrong) for him to add the word “people” to “and for all”. But it does not make the Eucharist invalid. It’s a problem, but not one that prevents the Eucharist from truly happening.

Still, he shouldn’t be doing it.

Just a bit more to add to the mix…
Actually, in the prayer book I have, the words are as follows:

Take this, all of you, and drink from it:
this is the cup of my blood,
the blood of the new and everlasting covenant.
It will be shed for you and for all men
so that sins may be forgiven."

Some priests became “politically correct” over the years and dropped the word men. Even though they were not supposed to… Some may have replaced all men with " all people" …

I don’t have a current copy of the missal used in mass presently at hand, but this is from the Eucharistic Prayer IV. You might want to check in church and see what the missal actually says. Does anyone know for sure?

View this from EWTN Expert Colin B. Donovan.

Thanks

Not a problem for validity, probably a problem for legalistic/rubrical concerns.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.