Work From Home

Does anyone here work from home? If so, what do you do and how did you get into it?

I’m trying to find a part-time job that I can do from home once my husband and I start having kids, but I don’t know how feasible that is.

Thanks!

Can you do the speech pathology stuff from home?:slight_smile:

If we still need a 2nd income when we have kids, Sonja is going to see if she can work part time from home with the company she is currently working for. (Also Sonja’s company might have work for you as a moderator. I know one couple who works at IT Toolbox, they both moderate from home one takes the early morning/afternoon shift and the other takes the evening/night shift and they work from home on the computer moderating the site, and considering that they are going to be growing like wildfire in the next years they may need some peeps to moderate, one possible avenue to keep in mind).

I think there are some sites that may be helpful for you, just google “mom home working network” or something like that.

Although I would also be interested in hearing what others have to say as well. As we are interested in what is out there.

I need to check and see if I can do speech therapy at home. I’m not sure what the legalities of that are. Right now I can do therapy sessions at the clinic I work for or home therapy. I’m not sure if I can do this at home. I need to check.

I was planning on working maybe 2 days a week (5 clients one day, and 5 clients on another). On top of that, doing something from home too depending on how Lee’s job outlook is going at that time.

I would like to know more about being a moderator, how it works etc. Is this a job that is conducive to homeschooling?

I’ve checked out some sites with stay at home moms and some of them do data entry, fill out surveys, etc. online, but finding a legit site that will let you do that can be tricky.

I definitely want to do speech therapy part-time, but I’m just worried that I’ll need to pull in more money and might need some options as far as working from home goes.

Well see. Thanks for the post Brian! PAX :thumbsup:

I work from home, but I do my regular job from a home office.

For part time work, if you have child care during that time, there are a number of call centers that use home agents. You might do a search on here b/c last time someone asked I posted websites of companies who hire home agents.

Any kind of home business like selling on eBay or Amazon.Com would allow you to somewhat make your own hours, which is different from “working from home”. When you work from home for another company they will expect you to have full-time child care while you are working.

My wife is trying to find the same thing. We started a small online store selling Catholic T-shirts and such (link in my signature) but she is looking for something more consistent…i.e. work 15 hours a week, get a paycheck.

Though I imagine there are legitamate work at home opportunities it is nearly impossible to find them due to all the scams and get rich quick schemes.

I’ll be monitoring this thread. I hope there is someone out there who has some good ideas.

God Bless!

I work at home for a website developer and also sell websites, design and develop etc as a sole trader. I also do web journalism and optimise websites for search engines.

It is something I fell into almost by accident a little over a year ago when I found I could understand HTML and CSS. I am planning on looking into programming this coming year.

This allows me to work when it suits me and be able to take time off during the day for family needs such as playing with my grandchildren.

I sell on eBay part time and will be passing it onto my mom. It includes a little storefront. All our inventory is in the living room in totes.

Thanks for your input guys. Hopefully, when the time comes, I’ll make enough money to support a family…whatever that ends up being. I guess I’ll have to pray a lot about it.

PAX!

Work at Home

I. too, am interested in working from home. I am 56 years of age, with no children still living at home. I have had a successful career for over 35 years but took a long break to care for my elderly parents, who have now gone to God and my precious grandchildren, whose mother now stays at home with them. I would like to be able to stay at home and do something to supplement my husband’s salary.

I am fearful of answering work at home offers without knowing if they are scams. Anyone know of a website or company I can trust to talk to?

Peace and prayers

My dh and I run our own business out of our home.
I would definitely recommend doing what you like to do and have some experience in.
We’re musicians (dh has been playing the accordion professionally since he was 16, he is now 38) and videographers (dh’s college degree). This diversity has served us well in bringing in a fairly consistant income.
So, I would first recomend looking into seeing if you can set up your own business in speech therapy, since you seem to enjoy that. If you can do that, it gives you the most flexability and you already have the exprience to help you secure more of your own clients.
As for setting up the business I recomend 1) finding an good accountant that you trust to give you good advice in setting up the paperwork to track income and expences 2) the book “Small Business Marketing For Dummies” offers some good advice 3) Most importantly get involved in your local Chamber of Commerce and / or other similar business networking groups. They say it’s not what you know, but who you know. You already have the first, these business groups give you the second.
Another good way of advertising yourself that doesn’t cost a lot is posting flyers with business cards on local bulletin boards found by gas station restrooms, laudrymats, grocery stores, banks, etc. A little more expensive, but included if you get a business phone line, is getting into the yellow pages (This can’t be done if you do a “work from home” business that is a part of a larger business)
My dh and I looked into a few of the “do it yourself” businesses for me to help supplement income when we first went full time self employment in 2000. Like Meleluca, and Market America - if you like the product and like sales these can work for a few people, but they do have large up front costs and you are restricted on how you can run your business. But, if you have no interest in setting up a business for yourself these can work. (you can also join the Chamber of Commerce as a seller for one of these companies).
The only one I found to work for me, for a little extra income, was a small coin operated candy machine business. If you can find a location for your machines it definitly brings in a profit.
I recomend getting the machines from a place like Sam’s Club or over the internet - we used www.usedvending.com. and I recomend not “buying into the business” when company’s like Vendstar come into town, though do go to the seminar they offer to get advice on the machines and how to run the business then say no thanks. They are just a lot more expensive buying directly from them and they try to push you into buying more machines than you can possibly place. The market can be saturated already, so look into possible placements first. Buy them as you can place them with a couple extra for repairs and other placements as they become available. You have to drive around about every other week to once a month, depending on how good the placement is, to service the machine and put fresh candy in.

Well I hope this helps,
Good Luck & God Bless

I just thought of something… I live in Pennsylvania so I don’t know if this is the case everywhere, but here the average child with speech problems cannot get services through the public school. It has to be REALLY bad to qualify. I do know that if a family seeks out therapy on their own, that their insurance will pay for it. So starting your own business would definitely seem doable if this describes your public schools as well. You could take as many or as few kids as you wanted to.

Thanks for your input. I will research starting up my own buisness. My husband will probably be interested in this as well. This advice is helpful :thumbsup:

PAX!

I have found a reputable company that you may wish to check out.

I worked for corporate America for 28 years and resigned in 2005 to become a full-time caregiver for a 88 year-old Msgr. who fell and cracked his pelvis and hip. He was “actively” retired before the fall. He was told he would be on his feet within 6 months, but was still in a wheelchair 9 months later. To make a long story short, I needed to find something I could do from home to earn an income and my prayers were answered…both in finances and health. When Msgr. got on the products, he was out of the wheelchair in 3 months and walking a 1/2 mile a day with a walker. Today, he is 91 years old and continues to walk and says 2 Masses on weekends.

The business opportunity is with a twenty-year old International wellness company that is publicly listed on NASDAQ, recognized as one of the best 100 companies in America and was honored by the Pope John Paul II Foundation in 1998 for philanthropic efforts worldwide.

Over the course of time, my reasons for entering into the business has changed. I still need to earn an income, but we want to offer others the hope that we were given during a time that we felt was hopeless.

I invite you to check out our website www.humanhungers.com

How did you find out about this opportunity? What do you do, typically?

To be perfectly honest, I answered a work from home ad in our local newspaper and this was the opportunity and I really wasn’t interested…AT ALL! I really didn’t care about their “nutritional products” but I felt I owed the ad owner the courtesy of attending one of the presentations. So, I loaded Msgr. and his wheelchair in the car and away we went. Ten presentations later, I decided to implement these “wonder products” into his daily regime. We heard the stories and physically seen the people that had health results, but really couldn’t believe it. That’s why we went 10 different times…we thought we’d catch someone in a lie. Talk about skeptics!!! Needless to say, we haven’t looked back and Msgr. is as involved in the business as I. His motto is - I’ve helped nourish people’s souls, now I can possibly help them nourish their bodies.

We are distributors for Reliv International (www.reliv.com) who is celebrating their 20th anniversay this month. The February issue of the Success from Home magazine has featured Reliv in its entire issue. It even states one of the highlights was the audience the founders had with Pope John Paul II.

If you are interested in learning more, e-mail me with your address and I can send you a copy.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.